• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Overseas 4500v Rep Owners - feedback needed, please :)

zataralos

Horology Curious
23/5/24
This past week, I had the opportunity to see a Gen 4500v at the Lisbon AD while on vacation. Was fortunate that they had just received one for delivery (black dial SS), no other inventory in the store. I tried it on, they even put the rubber strap on for me to try and I fell instantly in love with it. Now I have to have one, but with a 12-24+ month wait, it's going to drive me bananas. I'm contemplating getting a Rep until then but don't want to be overly disappointed if its far from the Gen. I understand there isn't a NWBIG version out there, but how close can I get? I've read most of the posts here on RWI (most on them are 2 years old), so hoping to get real feedback from those who own these Reps. Here's the things I'm considering:

1) Dial quality - see a lot of feedback around dial color not being the same as gen, especially for Blue. Is that also true for the Black dial? also indices quality?

2) Date window - based on what I read, this one is tricky but can be corrected with some maintenance?

3) Case/Bezel finishing - Is the finishing high quality?

4) Bracelet - Any concerns with the finishing? I'm assuming this is one area where quality wouldn't be a good due to the amount of surface that needs to be polished. Personally I like the rubber strap and can always buy a Gen strap (assuming it fits without any issues)

5) Caseback - Probably the greatest tell, but I've never taken off my watches (even the Gens) to show the movement, so I don't see this as an issue

6) Movement - Read a lot about noisy Miyota movements, how loud are we talking (hear it close to the ear, or while wearing the watch)? also can be silenced?

I understand the disclaimers folks are going to make, I get that Rep quality is not Gen quality, but are you happy with your Rep and would you recommend it? And now for the most subjective question of them all, which version/factory makes the nicest black+SS with all the strap options?

Appreciate everyone's constructive feedback ;)

tokidoki

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
2/5/24
USA
I had a rep 4500v and thought the winding was too loud. I could hear it spinning when moving my arm.

From what I've seen and read/hear/discuss the VC dials are one of a kind; reps can't mimic the same elegance and stature of a gen dial no matter what color - white, blue, BLK.

zataralos

Horology Curious
23/5/24
I had a rep 4500v and thought the winding was too loud. I could hear it spinning when moving my arm.

From what I've seen and read/hear/discuss the VC dials are one of a kind; reps can't mimic the same elegance and stature of a gen dial no matter what color - white, blue, BLK.
That's what I keep reading on the rotor noise. Wonder if anyone tried lubing the bearing, if it would reduce some of that noise.

tokidoki

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
2/5/24
USA
Some have serviced / modded the rotary to quiet it down.

joeyc

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
6/1/08
Nyc
This past week, I had the opportunity to see a Gen 4500v at the Lisbon AD while on vacation. Was fortunate that they had just received one for delivery (black dial SS), no other inventory in the store. I tried it on, they even put the rubber strap on for me to try and I fell instantly in love with it. Now I have to have one, but with a 12-24+ month wait, it's going to drive me bananas. I'm contemplating getting a Rep until then but don't want to be overly disappointed if its far from the Gen. I understand there isn't a NWBIG version out there, but how close can I get? I've read most of the posts here on RWI (most on them are 2 years old), so hoping to get real feedback from those who own these Reps. Here's the things I'm considering:

1) Dial quality - see a lot of feedback around dial color not being the same as gen, especially for Blue. Is that also true for the Black dial? also indices quality?

2) Date window - based on what I read, this one is tricky but can be corrected with some maintenance?

3) Case/Bezel finishing - Is the finishing high quality?

4) Bracelet - Any concerns with the finishing? I'm assuming this is one area where quality wouldn't be a good due to the amount of surface that needs to be polished. Personally I like the rubber strap and can always buy a Gen strap (assuming it fits without any issues)

5) Caseback - Probably the greatest tell, but I've never taken off my watches (even the Gens) to show the movement, so I don't see this as an issue

6) Movement - Read a lot about noisy Miyota movements, how loud are we talking (hear it close to the ear, or while wearing the watch)? also can be silenced?

I understand the disclaimers folks are going to make, I get that Rep quality is not Gen quality, but are you happy with your Rep and would you recommend it? And now for the most subjective question of them all, which version/factory makes the nicest black+SS with all the strap options?

Appreciate everyone's constructive feedback ;)
The black and blue dial is very close, there’s a guy on here who has a rep and gen blue dial, he mixed them
Up a few times the zf is really good, I wouldn’t worry