• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Opinions on TC Elabore 2824 movement

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
Hello gents,

I've been searching the forum trying to find info on the TC elabore 2824 movement, I need a 2824 with H4 hand stack and the TC seems an easy option, but it's quite expensive for an Asian clone at $190

Can anyone give me any reviews or comments on their experience with this movement? For only a little more I could get an ETA or Selita and have H4 parts installed, but if the TC is not your average clone then why bother?!!

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I've heard a muttering or two that the quality is not what it used to be with his movements - personally would I pay up the few dollars extra and get a Sellita - they're as good as the ETAs.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
^ how much are the sellita's (modded with h4)?

The Sellita's are graded in the same way as ETAs - a 'Standard' is $150, maybe less, with H4 mod, I don't know - depends if you're doing it or paying somebody - but even if you pay someone it's not going to be hugely more expensive than TC - which if I'm not mistaken is not a true 'Swiss' - contrary to the Sellita.

Retina

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
18/12/14
asian movements vs swiss... pretty much night and day comparison... if you have ever disassembled an asian movement you will know how big a difference they are :S

D

d4m.test

Just a general remark: compared to the run of the mill asian movement the TC standard 2824-2 feels, handles and performs way above. I suppose it already comes with the right dwo and H4 mod. It´s not swiss.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Just a general remark: compared to the run of the mill asian movement the TC standard 2824-2 feels, handles and performs way above. I suppose it already comes with the right dwo and H4 mod. It´s not swiss.

He has said ( in his blog, when it still existed ) that his movements are made in the US.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Eff the elabore, not like you're gonna use your fake watch to precision time a Grand Prix or whatever.

The standard TC2824 with H4 and Rolex DWO, is good enough IMO (2 week delivery time).

Obviously Swiss quality is the best...but buying h4 parts and sending off to a modder is shit I can do without (unless you can do it yourself). Modders ain't cheap either. Some charge ridiculous money

rmurphy37

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/16
I personally would also prefer to have a true Swiss movement. If I were doing anything to fix or upgrade, I would buck up the extra money and buy a Swiss ETA. That's just my opinion by the way, even though people claim there's not much difference, if that were true then why the insistence on having the clones serviced as soon as possible? It's because they are not oiled properly at the factory and a lot of them are put together with a smattering of new and used parts .... that screams unreliable to me. I know that others know more than I do but I always cringe at the thought of buying a TC and not getting a tried and true ETA inside, I'd think it would be a smart expenditure on TC's part even. He builds such fine pieces that it's a shame you have to worry about the Chinese movements, even if he claims they are American.... I kinda doubt that for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princewilliam

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/7/15
Well I actually ended up picking up a 1 month old TC Elabore 2824 for $85! I don't doubt the Swiss counterpart is of better quality but for the price I couldn't turn it down

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated