• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Opinion on authenticity

PaddyTabby

Horology Curious
28/12/20
I’ve been looking at these two hublot watches. What’s your opinion on their authenticity?

T

eBoy

⏱️ RWI New Members Area Chief Janitor 🎪🛠️
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
No idea! I got zero Hublot knowledge. 🤪

But the first one is sold by a real jeweler with a physical store. Pretty safe purchase, I think. If it turns out to be not kosher, returning it shouldn't be much of an issue.

The second one is a private seller. Well, I guess therefore it's not as safe a purchase as the first one. I'll let the Hublot experts chime in on its authenticity.

Reactions: PaddyTabby

PaddyTabby

Horology Curious
28/12/20
No idea! I got zero Hublot knowledge. 🤪

But the first one is sold by a real jeweler with a physical store. Pretty safe purchase, I think. If it turns out to be not kosher, returning it shouldn't be much of an issue.

The second one is a private seller. Well, I guess therefore it's not as safe a purchase as the first one. I'll let the Hublot experts chime in on its authenticity.
Thanks for your reply.

I realise from what knowledge I have on watches that Hublot isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Just always wanted one.

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Thanks for your reply.

I realise from what knowledge I have on watches that Hublot isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Just always wanted one.
You're welcome.

Yeah, Hublot gets a lot of hate. I think some of their designs are a bit too flamboyant for the taste of the mainstream. 😆

Nothing wrong with the ones you posted though. Only issue (for me) is that the 45mm would be too large for me, but the 42mm has a nice size.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
My main gripe with Hublot is that the clasp on their straps digs into my wrist like a blade. I've had every model you can think of and the same happens.

Reactions: McDuck888

PaddyTabby

Horology Curious
28/12/20
Or if anyone knows of a watch dealer that also sells on eBay or Amazon with a good reputation that would help too.

I want to buy from there because I have vouchers.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
Depending on where you live there are a plethora of reputable Grey market dealers that can get a you a great deal on a gen Hublot.

PaddyTabby

Horology Curious
28/12/20
Depending on where you live there are a plethora of reputable Grey market dealers that can get a you a great deal on a gen Hublot.
I’m from the uk, but as I said I need to buy from eBay or Amazon

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Well, I would not buy a gen from either of those places, but that's just my opinion.

I almost bought a Tag Heuer on Amazon marketplace a few years ago, but decided that the price was ultimately too good to be true. But it was still tempting, because the discount was just non-crazy enough to not make it totally obvious.

A couple of months later, I went back to the product page. The watch was no longer available, but the comment section was plastered with mad complaints from people who purchased a Tag with this dealer and had authentication come back negative. 😂

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
PS: I then bought a Longines with a very reputable gray market dealer instead at a great price. I sold this watch last month for the exact same price after heavily wearing it for a couple of years.

Reactions: Hesekiel

PaddyTabby

Horology Curious
28/12/20
Yeah there’s loads of actual watch dealers selling on eBay that have had business and actual shops for years.

Do you think I would be pretty safe buying from there?

PaddyTabby

Horology Curious
28/12/20
Yeah there’s loads of actual watch dealers selling on eBay that have had business and actual shops for years.

Do you think I would be pretty safe buying from there?

Like take for example

This company sell on eBay.

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
We are just giving you our opinion based off what we have seen for years. Ultimately it's your decision and money. All we do is opine.

Reactions: eBoy

eBoy

Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
Eurasia
Your call!

I don't think eBay is by default bad, but you need to do your due diligence. Better to avoid private sellers, for merchants do a little "background" check. Google for reviews, check rating web sites. That kind of thing.

I'm absolutely baffled when I sometimes read about eBay purchases totally gone awry on gen fora, and it usually turns out the buyer did not bother to investigate and do the bare minimum of inspecting the seller...

Buy the seller!

PaddyTabby

Horology Curious
28/12/20
Your call!

I don't think eBay is by default bad, but you need to do your due diligence. Better to avoid private sellers, for merchants do a little "background" check. Google for reviews, check rating web sites. That kind of thing.

I'm absolutely baffled when I sometimes read about eBay purchases totally gone awry on gen fora, and it usually turns out the buyer did not bother to investigate and do the bare minimum of inspecting the seller...

Buy the seller!
I think this is what I will do.

Thanks you guys. I’ll buy from someone that’s had a watch business for years with a real store and that has good reviews but also sells on eBay.

Reactions: eBoy

netacc123456

Looking Around
9/3/22
Please do not buy a gen from eBay. I've been burned way too many times on there. If you negotiate a return policy, take it to a horologist and get it verified

Lliu31

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
3/2/17
NYC
Tried these two on when I was on vacation in the Bahamas. 42 is the superior choice for sure (7.5 wrist here). Also, the case proportions just look better.
Also not a Hublot expert so can’t chime in on authenticity…it looks ok I guess?
But better safe than sorry, I’d stick with a brick and mortar store that is reputable.

Reactions: restandrelaxation