• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Opening a UPO and the outcome...

jockl1978

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/5/07
I was bored last weekend, so when I finished resizing my bracelet which was a little lose before, I decided to try out my case opener on the swiss UPO.

The result was:
- broke the rubber sealing ring :x
- fount a plastic cover on the antimagnetic shield (like the ones which are put on the chrystal and case back for transport protection) :?
- discovered that I don´t have the ETA stampings on the movement :shock:

Sometimes you really know afterwards you shouldn´t have done things.

But the good thing is: while searching for a new sealing ring, I found an old fashioned real watch maker in my hometown, one of the type who is able to do more than swap batteries and change bracelets. I first tried to by a ring from him without showing the watch, because I was unsure how he would respond, although he has only cheap watch brands.
He refused selling one saying he had to custom fit it to the watch, so after some discussion I brought the Omega to his shop, thinking about all the horror stories about destroyed fake watches.
As it turns out he complimented me for this " nice expensive timepiece" and when I told him it was a fake he asked me what I paid for it, because it was the best he has ever seen with a nice ETA movement (so he was fooled too).
When he had installed the ring he cleaned the watch and took $ 4 for the whole job!

So at least I know now where I will bring my watches for service.

njcurrie

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/8/07
Sorry about the troubles but it looks like you hit the jackpot finding someone who can do real work on your pieces at reasonable prices. :D I've been looking for that myself to no avail thus far. :?

I am interested in changin the pearl in my UPO but I understand that they are typically embedded in the bezel, not the insert like the Rollies. A gen bezel from Ofrei is a little over $200 and it would make a great mod but since I am still building a collection getting the initial pieces I want is my first priority. Alas, unless someone has a recommendation I will keep my eye out for a bargain.

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
The fact that you stumbled upon this watchsmith is priceless. I would happily sacrifice one of my watches to find a guy like this close to home. As it is the closest rep friendly watchsmith is 65 miles away. You lucked out and it only cost you $4. Congratulations.

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
yes. i have to agree. Your blight turned into what they call it? silver ligning on some fleece or something? i dunno the saying - uh oh i'm rambling!!!

To say the least; a bad thing turned into a super good thing.

My local watch guy does reps, but overcharges up the wazoo to service them :(

good find.

speedster

23/10/07
crick said:
yes. i have to agree. Your blight turned into what they call it? silver ligning on some fleece or something? i dunno the saying - uh oh i'm rambling!!!

To say the least; a bad thing turned into a super good thing.

My local watch guy does reps, but overcharges up the wazoo to service them :(

good find.

"every cloud has a silver lining!" :wink: is what you are after. So the ETA in the UPO is not a real ETA but a fake, just ordered a UPO from trustytime, I hope its genuine ETA otherwise whats the point in paying the extra :roll: . Its been 5 days - Im an impatient bugger, I know it could take a couple of weeks to arrive but I hate waiting for things :( :lol: thinking about it as I am in UK would have been quicker (and cheaper) using precious time, but I reckon once the watch arrives I wont care!!!
Its quite addictive all this rep watch buying, to be honest I had never heard of Panerai's :oops: before I came to this site - now Ifeel I neeeeed one :lol:
CHeers,
Pau

jdavis

28/9/06
Jack, do you mind telling us where you purchased your UPO? To my knowledge, only Andrew and Joshua sell the UPO and I would not like to think that either of them would knowingly sell you an ETA clone movement.

Natron

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
11/10/06
I also bought what I thought was a UPO to find out it had the clone mvmnt in it. Of course the person I got it from blamed it on his supplier and after much investigation and BS the member was banned. One good thing is my watchsmith can work on the watch as it does take Swiss ETA parts.

Natron