• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega virgin needs advice - 39mm Railmaster?

he46570

Horology Curious
23/10/06
Dear all,

I'd like to venture into my first Omega. I love the classic styling of the Railmaster, and was wondering if you could give your opinion on the 39mm version Ruby has for sale currently. I love the larger 49mm version, but it would simply be far too large for my smallish wrist. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Sylar

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/1/07
I would say go for the 49mm. Once you go big you cant go back.

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
Ruby's 39 mm is very very nice, a real swiss swiss ETA 2824....and i like the gold colour better....lots of nice accesorries with it...it will last you a long time...
i have the 49mm - asian mvmnt...it is ok, but 49mm is huge !!- when you have a small wrist....no way.

sishac

Known Member
5/2/07
I've got one coming...

I've got the leather band version on its way from Ruby...it has a gold 2836-2, not the silver 2824-2.

When it gets here I plan on writing a review with pictures. Even though I haven't gotten the watch yet, Ruby has beena pleasure to deal with so far.

Tom

he46570

Horology Curious
23/10/06
That would be great, sishac.

By the way, what is the difference between the 2836-2 and the 2824-2 besides the color?

sishac

Known Member
5/2/07
Well, according to what I found out (posted about the same thing) I'm told that they are baiscally the same movement. I wanted the silver movement because I thought it looked better, but Ruby said that it wasn't available to swap, so in the interest of getting the watch, I'm OK with the 2836. Unfortunately none of the Railmaster reps I've found have the decorated movement like the Aqua Terras that I was looking at. They both seem to be real ETA (at least the castings are there)....My MarcelloC Nettuno 3 has an ETA 2824-2 and it runs like a champ. I still haven't gotten the guts to open it up and try to regulate it, but I'm happy with its accuracy (I think its about 6 seconds per day slow.)

Like I said, when the watch arrives I'll try my hand at macro photography and I'll do a review. I have a couple AD around here so it shouldn't be a problem to get a good look at a real one.

Tom

Natron

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
11/10/06
I feel the 39mm does not show of the true beauty of the watch. THis is a watch that the bigger size looks better.

Nate

he46570

Horology Curious
23/10/06
But if you have a small wrist, there is really no choice! I find even the standard Seamaster looks a little awkward on my wrist. My other watches are 36 to 38mm in size (mainly dress watches, Patek reps, a gen Longines, gen IWC). I'm hoping this slightly smaller watch still looks OK.