• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Ultimate PO crown thread

ReadyFreddie

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/8/09
Not sure if this has been asked or mentioned on here before, but roughly how many turns should there be on the ultimate PO screw-in crown? Mine only seems to screw about a quarter to half a turn. The crown screws right down to the case, so it's not sticking out or cross threaded, but there just doesn't seem like theres a whole lot of thread on the tube. Obviously I'm not expecting it to be the same as the gen, but I'm not sure if mine might have a problem. Thanks all!

markotu

5/7/09
I don't know how many there "should" be, but I have to turn crown on my UPO 2 full turns before it pops out to first position. I have no idea how many you have to do on the gen tho'.

ReadyFreddie

29/8/09
Thanks for the reply. 2 full turns is much more like the gen, whereas mine only needs the equivalent of turning 2 grooves on the crown - about an 1/8th of a turn I'd guess. I'm a bit concerned about water ingress while just washing my hands, and also the longevity of the stem with such a small screw-down action.

I think I'll have a word with the PT.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
It is about 2 full clockwise turn. I would suggest you to turn anticlockwise first then clockwise to find the correct thread. This is to avoid stripping the crown + tube thread too.

Francisco

23/12/07
markotu said:
I don't know how many there "should" be, but I have to turn crown on my UPO 2 full turns before it pops out to first position. I have no idea how many you have to do on the gen tho'.

Probably the stem is too long. In that case...an easy fix.

Francisco

markotu

5/7/09
Francisco said:
markotu said:

Probably the stem is too long. In that case...an easy fix.

Francisco

Nothing's wrong with mine. I think.
Or did you just quote wrong post? :p

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
i had never ending problems with upo crown tubes stripping. my watch got sent back to china 4 times over a 1 year time frame because of this. it was that long before i could really wear the watch and it was very frustrating. i bought my wife a 42.5 po and it has about 2 full turns to tighten it. it's never had a problem

my 45mm upo was a totally different situation. it had about 1/2 turn to tight and it kept stripping the tube, the forth time it came back from being repaired it lasted 2 times and stripped. they have a definite problem with this. i contacted vac and had him install gen crown and tube in it.

this is hard to do to a 45.5 upo. the rep hole in the case is too big and you have no choice other than to epoxy the gen tube into the case. the first time it was installed it failed as soon as i unpacked it and started to set the time, the epoxy let go and the tube popped out of the case. i sent it back and he did it again, that's been about 1 1/2 years ago and it still works perfectly. it turns down about 2 revolutions and is smooth as silk, you can also feel it softly compress the o ring seal on it's way down. it's very different from the rep feel.

if you have one that only screws down about 1/2 turn or so it is going to fail, i promise you. if you wear the watch everyday and only unscrew it every couple of months or so to adjust the time or set the date on off months it will be ok for a while. if you are using it often it will go quickly.

ReadyFreddie

29/8/09
Thanks guys, and especially hk45ca.

1/2 a turn? Jeez I'd LOVE a whole half a turn! Mine is more like 1/8th of turn. Hmmmmm looks like I'm going to have problems with it then. :? PT is going to send me a new crown, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm searching for a gen tube and crown pretty soon.

Anyone know where I can source a gen tube and crown from in the UK? I'm not new to prestige watches, but this is my first rep so I'm not sure where I could get gen parts from as most ADs I've come across won't source parts. Any ideas guys?

rarebear

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/7/09
I got one this week and it locks down at 3/4 a turn and I see no threads or O ring

It is nothing like my $100 QOS PO tube..

I also have an issue winding the watch, if I do not pull outward on crown while winding it just slips :(