• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega tripple trouble

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
Here is a shot of three Omega watches. One is a rep, and two are originals. Can you spot the rep?

omegax3.jpg

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
And a wrist shot!

Here is a wrist shot of my 4th gen PO.

The only flaw I see on this watch is the placement of the Omega symbol. I'm going to have to get that fixed.

omegawrist.jpg

erd04056

Renowned Member
2/4/06
Okay, I'll take a stab at it for fun. My guess would be the one in the center.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
same here. The PO is the fake one... First two are good. Correct He value, good crown, good insert.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
Wrong choice. You picked the gen as a rep.

erd04056 said:
Okay, I'll take a stab at it for fun. My guess would be the one in the center.

Wrong! That is a genuine Seamaster. The Rep is the PO. It's a 4th gen from Andrew.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
You chose well!

takashi said:
same here. The PO is the fake one... First two are good. Correct He value, good crown, good insert.

Does the PO have an incorrect He valve and a bad insert? I can't see it. Just the same, the PO is the rep.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Re: You chose well!

WackoBirdKeeper said:
takashi said:

Does the PO have an incorrect He valve and a bad insert? I can't see it. Just the same, the PO is the rep.

Nope... You've mentioned that it's 4th gen rep from Andrew. The incorrect Omega logo placement on the dial is the dead giveaway.

BlueFin

15/3/06
You guys did not look at the pearl? The placement of the pearl are all the same on the gen Seamaster line.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
takashi said:
the first SMP looks heavily polished up.

It is not any more or less polished than any of my other watches. This was my first RMW, and I still love this watch. It came from the dealer looking like that, and it has held up VERY well. I have had this watch for about 9 years now, and it still is not in need of a service. It holds time very well, and it is still waterproof. Of course, I wouldn't take it down too deep without replacing the seals and having it tested. Still, I wear it in swimming pools all the time. I had to choose between this and a Rolex Submariner. I'm glad I decided on the Omega. I have never even seen a rep of this particular watch.

Happy T

Renowned Member
8/4/06
While all in all the 4th gen PO is a darn good rep it has its flaws. Most people will never ever see them. We're our own worse critics.

Joe (RBJ69) did a pretty comprehesive review in this forum that points out several things. The obvious one to most that have received this watch is the logo being to close to the writing. It does appear some are not as bad as others. Mine is actually touching the writing. The minute hand is a hair short but not much more than a hair. The numbers are not quite the write color orange when compared to the gen and they have an almost white or chome outline around the orange numbers which don't match up with the gen. You have to do a close up shot to see this clearly. Yea, we're being picky here which was why I stated in the beginning that most people would never ever notice these things. Lastly, look at the word professional under the word Seamaster. Keep looking at it..... look some more..... it slants. The left side of the word is slightly higher than the right. I won't get started about the M in Seamaster.

Still one of the better reps out and beautiful on the wrist.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
Happy T said:
While all in all the 4th gen PO is a darn good rep it has its flaws. Most people will never ever see them. We're our own worse critics.

Joe (RBJ69) did a pretty comprehesive review in this forum that points out several things. The obvious one to most that have received this watch is the logo being to close to the writing. It does appear some are not as bad as others. Mine is actually touching the writing. The minute hand is a hair short but not much more than a hair. The numbers are not quite the write color orange when compared to the gen and they have an almost white or chome outline around the orange numbers which don't match up with the gen. You have to do a close up shot to see this clearly. Yea, we're being picky here which was why I stated in the beginning that most people would never ever notice these things. Lastly, look at the word professional under the word Seamaster. Keep looking at it..... look some more..... it slants. The left side of the word is slightly higher than the right. I won't get started about the M in Seamaster.

I actually did notice these flaws. I have already written (PM) to Joe about helping me with some dial mods. I really believe that if I get the dial right on this watch, it will be damn hard to ID it as a rep. This veriosn fixed the bezel's lack of orange around the triangle, it fixed the placement of the HE valve, it fixed the engraving on the clasp, and it fixed the bad seahorse on the back of the case. I thought that these errors were more damning than the dial problems. The dial can be fixed more easily than, for example, a poorly placed HE valve.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
WackoBirdKeeper said:
takashi said:

It is not any more or less polished than any of my other watches. This was my first RMW, and I still love this watch. It came from the dealer looking like that, and it has held up VERY well. I have had this watch for about 9 years now, and it still is not in need of a service. It holds time very well, and it is still waterproof. Of course, I wouldn't take it down too deep without replacing the seals and having it tested. Still, I wear it in swimming pools all the time. I had to choose between this and a Rolex Submariner. I'm glad I decided on the Omega. I have never even seen a rep of this particular watch.

Congrats on onwning this watch. I am sure it's full of history for 9 years of ownership. That's why I go for an SMP Non-AC version where none of the replica has even come close replicating this.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
takashi said:
WackoBirdKeeper said:
takashi said:

Congrats on onwning this watch. I am sure it's full of history for 9 years of ownership. That's why I go for an SMP Non-AC version where none of the replica has even come close replicating this.

LOL!! As far as history goes, it was a gift from my EX wife, but I try to not hold that against the watch. After all, I did pick it out and pay for it. (Some gift, huh?)

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
I really like the TT SMP those are kinda hard to find nowadays. Nice watches BTW.

WackoBirdKeeper

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
23/3/06
New Jersey, USA
czarczar said:
WackoBirdKeeper said:
Happy T said:

I actually did notice these flaws. I have already written (PM) to Joe about helping me with some dial mods. I really believe that if I get the dial right on this watch, it will be damn hard to ID it as a rep. This veriosn fixed the bezel's lack of orange around the triangle, it fixed the placement of the HE valve, it fixed the engraving on the clasp, and it fixed the bad seahorse on the back of the case. I thought that these errors were more damning than the dial problems. The dial can be fixed more easily than, for example, a poorly placed HE valve.

About how old is that watch? i didn't know they had a smp with gold links

Yes, they did for one year. I had to grab one, and I'm glad that I did. I would have never had a chance to get one like this again. My only regret is that I got the Mid-Size one. It did look better on me, and at that time, huge watches were not in style.