• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Speedmaster Racing

carloscosta43

Getting To Know The Place
23/2/24
PT (EU)
Pulling the trigger on a Speedmaster racing on rubber trap from JTIME

ref. 326.32.40.50.01.002

What you guys think? i love omegas...

JMM17

15/1/24
Have one on steel bracelet. It's a chonkers, but looking great.

JMM17

15/1/24
It goes great with so many straps. Im wearing it mostly on NATO's, havent tried rubber yet tho.

Reactions: carloscosta43

speedyguy

15/12/23
My advice would be to order it with the bracelet. You can always find the strap on aliexpress for cheap, but finding the bracelet has been impossible.

JMM17

15/1/24
Thought i'll drop in some shots, and my short review after wearing it for a while. It's latest (at least v2 - delivered dec 2023) version with "swis6 made" fixed and correct font DW, slightly-less-sunken-DW.

Things i like:
-Best looking speedy rep: correct dial spacing, dimensions, working chrono, everything except date window looks just like gen.
-Watch looks and feels like high quality piece.
-19mm strap size seems weird at first, but it wears and looks great on 18mm (leather) and 20mm (fabric) natos.
-Date is changed via the crown. Rep have a dummy pusher, which in gen, you should press with any needle to change date. It's a flaw for sure, but it also makes life so much eazier.
-Thing i just realized while writing: AT FIRST it felt very weird on wrist, i was adjusting bracelet back and forth (it's very thick 15mm like gen, and bracelet have no fast adjust like seamasters), but after wearing it for a couple of weeks it feels... just right.
-Bracelet feels comfortable.
-After service, my 7750 is very silent. It was quite loud from factory YMMV.

Things i dont like:
-Biggest and pretty much only visible flaw is high sitting, sunken DW. I'll take this flaw over squinted subdials and slaved chrono anytime YMMV.
-Crystal AR (or lack of thereof) - im thinking of crystal swap.
-It can probably use service straight from factory: my chrono hands were placed improperly and minutes subdial was slipping on reset, crystal was improperly pressed and movement badly lubricated (rotor spinning during manual-wind) YMMV.
-Hard to clean. Case mirror finish is showing all the fingerprints, dirt and dust very eazily and fast. And with it's anatomy: bulging caseback, pushers, bezel - it's hard to clean up.
-Lacks eazy bracelet adjustments like seamasters.

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
@JMM17 : what a quality post, thank you ! 😎

@carloscosta43 : i think that the 326.32.40.50.01.002 is a great watch , anyway just a couple of days ago N1F Factory did a cheap version of the Snoopy Speedmaster.

Of course also Jtime (Li) can source it, i link InTime because it is the only TD i saw it .

At 428 $ seems cheaper than the OSF version, which is 698 $ (!!!)

As you surely know, the Snoopy has a working rocket & earth on the caseback and...the Rep has it too !

Of course this is only an idea, the Speedmastyer Racing of course has another kind of attire...

Edit ; just saw on another thread that you pulled the trigger on the Speedmaster Racing....great !

Last edited:

carloscosta43

23/2/24
PT (EU)
Thought i'll drop in some shots, and my short review after wearing it for a while. It's latest (at least v2 - delivered dec 2023) version with "swis6 made" fixed and correct font DW, slightly-less-sunken-DW.

Things i like:
-Best looking speedy rep: correct dial spacing, dimensions, working chrono, everything except date window looks just like gen.
-Watch looks and feels like high quality piece.
-19mm strap size seems weird at first, but it wears and looks great on 18mm (leather) and 20mm (fabric) natos.
-Date is changed via the crown. Rep have a dummy pusher, which in gen, you should press with any needle to change date. It's a flaw for sure, but it also makes life so much eazier.
-Thing i just realized while writing: AT FIRST it felt very weird on wrist, i was adjusting bracelet back and forth (it's very thick 15mm like gen, and bracelet have no fast adjust like seamasters), but after wearing it for a couple of weeks it feels... just right.
-Bracelet feels comfortable.
-After service, my 7750 is very silent. It was quite loud from factory YMMV.

Things i dont like:
-Biggest and pretty much only visible flaw is high sitting, sunken DW. I'll take this flaw over squinted subdials and slaved chrono anytime YMMV.
-Crystal AR (or lack of thereof) - im thinking of crystal swap.
-It can probably use service straight from factory: my chrono hands were placed improperly and minutes subdial was slipping on reset, crystal was improperly pressed and movement badly lubricated (rotor spinning during manual-wind) YMMV.
-Hard to clean. Case mirror finish is showing all the fingerprints, dirt and dust very eazily and fast. And with it's anatomy: bulging caseback, pushers, bezel - it's hard to clean up.
-Lacks eazy bracelet adjustments like seamasters.

Wow great post indeed. The thing is with a Steel brecelet Just gets heavy Day to Day watch for me.

I have been getting in love with omegas and what they stand for. Specialy the speedmaster.

@JMM17 : what a quality post, thank you ! 😎

@carloscosta43 : i think that the 326.32.40.50.01.002 is a great watch , anyway just a couple of days ago N1F Factory did a cheap version of the Snoopy Speedmaster.

Of course also Jtime (Li) can source it, i link InTime because it is the only TD i saw it .

At 428 $ seems cheaper than the OSF version, which is 698 $ (!!!)

As you surely know, the Snoopy has a working rocket & earth on the caseback and...the Rep has it too !

Of course this is only an idea, the Speedmastyer Racing of course has another kind of attire...

Edit ; just saw on another thread that you pulled the trigger on the Speedmaster Racing....great !
Yes Sir thanks for the share. Will look into that one.

Bê sure to look out for my review.

Reactions: Horace_Derwent

riosundoro

Do not accept unsolicited offers
10/6/24
Hi, got a speedmaster racing a few days ago. Seller claims it is HRF. I just want to double check. I checked a TD's website and apparently, there is another factory that also makes this racing model (doesnt say specific factory name in the listing). Other than these 2, is there any other factory that makes this model?

JMM17

15/1/24
I've been told that HKF and HRF is same factory, if that's what you're asking.

cheeseroyale

Known Member
6/2/23
USA
My advice would be to order it with the bracelet. You can always find the strap on aliexpress for cheap, but finding the bracelet has been impossible.
For the most part, I do agree with getting the bracelet. However, I have not found a good rubber strap yet on Aliexpress. Every one I have seen mispelled Speedmaster as Speednaster (some of the reviews even say it, so I don't think it's just a intentional error in the picture). Whether they do this on purpose I am not sure. Let me know if you have found one that actually is spelled correctly.

Reactions: Valaj

Valaj

15/3/23
Illinois
For the most part, I do agree with getting the bracelet. However, I have not found a good rubber strap yet on Aliexpress. Every one I have seen mispelled Speedmaster as Speednaster (some of the reviews even say it, so I don't think it's just a intentional error in the picture). Whether they do this on purpose I am not sure. Let me know if you have found one that actually is spelled correctly.
I have a gen Speedy racing I got a few years back. First thing I did was get a rubber bracelet from AE. Didn't pay attention to the pics and when I got it, I was shocked that it said speeanaster instead of speedmaster. Unfortunately, even now, all the straps on AE say speeanaster. Not even speednaster. Luckily I bought the one without the white lettering (black strap with black lettering is what I got). The strap is comfortable and the spelling mistake isn't obvious being black on black. It triggers my OCD though.

I also have a couple of racing and rallye straps for it but the problem is that the 19mm tapers to around 16mm and looks extremely skinny, made worse by the chunky case.

IMHO, the best bet is the stainless steel bracelet, if you can't get an original rubber strap or some with the correct spelling on it.

cheeseroyale

Known Member
6/2/23
USA
I have a gen Speedy racing I got a few years back. First thing I did was get a rubber bracelet from AE. Didn't pay attention to the pics and when I got it, I was shocked that it said speeanaster instead of speedmaster. Unfortunately, even now, all the straps on AE say speeanaster. Not even speednaster. Luckily I bought the one without the white lettering (black strap with black lettering is what I got). The strap is comfortable and the spelling mistake isn't obvious being black on black. It triggers my OCD though.

I also have a couple of racing and rallye straps for it but the problem is that the 19mm tapers to around 16mm and looks extremely skinny, made worse by the chunky case.

IMHO, the best bet is the stainless steel bracelet, if you can't get an original rubber strap or some with the correct spelling on it.
How the you your speedy racing gen? I have the rep but I have an opportunity in Japan right now to get the gen for around $2500 usd including tax.

cheeseroyale

Known Member
6/2/23
USA

I meant how do you like your speedy racing gen.

Valaj

15/3/23
Illinois
I meant how do you like your speedy racing gen.
I like the watch. It was my first "expensive" watch. Mine is the reverse Panda. It's a solid watch. The 7750 based movement is slightly loud and "wobbly". But the good thing is that it doesn't sound or feel cheap (like a rep 7750 for example). Even though it is 40mm, it wears much smaller. In fact, it looks small even on my small 6.75" wrist. I haven't had any issues with the watch.
I have it on a leather rally strap but the problem is that the strap tapers too much (19mm to 16mm iirc). The case is chunky so it kinda looks off. The bracelet makes it look so much better. The bracelet reminds me more of the Seamaster than speedmaster (being solid and chunky again).

I bought it thinking it would be a replacement for a moonwatch but nope. It didn't scratch the itch. While I really like the speedy racing, it is not a replacement for the moonwatch in any way. I get a lot of compliments on it, especially because of the reverse Panda dial.

riosundoro

Do not accept unsolicited offers
10/6/24
Yes, after posting it, I found a thread that mentioned it... thank you...
I want to give an update, so there are actually reps made by non HRF/HKF brand (the brand isnt mentioned in trustytime's website).
- Lume color: HRF is blue (like gen), Non HRF is green and weak as well as very short lasting (about 10 minutes from full charge)
- Inside lasering of case back: HRF has the letters "LL" inside a square (like gen), which is missing from the non HRF
- Biggest tell is the date window. The HRF date window overlays/cuts at the bottom of the white circular border of the subdial (like the gen). And in the non HRF, the DW actually sits inside the the sub dial's continuous white circular border.
- The non HRF bracelet has much inferior finish (sharp edges, rattling noise) and hard to lock clasp. Where as the HRF one I was told (I don't have one so never touched it) has smooth edges.

The HRF is much closer to gen, aesthetically.

cheeseroyale

Known Member
6/2/23
USA
I was recently in Japan and found some stores selling the gen Speedmaster racing watches (brand new). It was the first time I have seen the gen in real life since none of the Omega boutiques sell them anymore. After seeing the gen, I actually appreciated the rep more than before. I have the blue dial rep and for some reason I read somewhere the shade of blue was off on the rep. However, after seeing the gen in person i don't think it is off much at all. I think they actually did a good job. Being such a dark blue matte color makes it very dependent on the lighting but I don't see how one would be able to differentiate if it is not side by side (I didn't have my rep with me). The only tell of course is the sunken date window but honestly, I am not that bothered by that.
Of course the other tell is that the date button doesn't work on the rep. This actually makes it nice if you are considering the gen because you can tell right away if it is gen or not. The price of the gen was such a good price (about 800-1k usd less than grey market in the US) that when i learned that it was not only gen, but has a 5 year Omega international warranty, I ended up buying the gen. I got the white face one, which I have never seen in real life. I think it is the most underrated of the Speedy racing because it is not regular white dial. It has a slightly metallic off white ivory finish that gives it a classy retro feel. It's hard to explain until you see it in real life.
Sorry for the side diversion, back to the comparison. Once I took the gen home I was able to do a more in depth comparison, although they are different dial colors. Again, I am actually now more impressed with the rep than before buying the gen. I would say the differences I noticed are minor:
1. Sunken date (ok not minor to some)
2. The bracelet looks really good. Only when held side by side do you notice the gen bracelet brushed portions have a slightly more shine than the rep. The edges are noticeably sharper on the rep only when you are putting it on but it's not something you would notice by looking at it. The weight is the same.
3. The lume is noticeably better on the gen.
4. The movement is about the same noisiness once you initially open the rep and add a tiny amount of silicone lube to the rotor.

So after owning the gen now, i will actually wear the rep more!

Reactions: Valaj