• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Speedmaster (Quartz)

ldthomp

Horology Curious
27/8/09
I have a question about the quartz version (1 tick per second) of the Omega Speedmaster Pro. I currently own the Lemania version of the watch but I want a cheaper quartz version to wear around as a beater. My question is does the main second hand move during normal operation or is it like the Lemania movement and only work as a chronograph. I hope I worded this so that it is clear what I am talking about... its the long second hand that my question is about.

jcrry2

I'm Pretty Popular
10/7/09
in the quartz verzion the long hand moves only as part of the chrono function and the second hand is in one of the subdials.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
One of the great things about quartz is you get the same function without all the headaches. Now becuse they're trying to copy the look of the gen the subdials may not track the correct function. So you'd have to check that.

robbnj

11/6/09
If it's Miyota version, expect the large seconds hand to be sloppy (has about a 1/2 second of play. you can see it if you look at the watch and tilt it slightly from side-to-side).

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
I have messed around with a lot of Miyotas. Your hands should not be flopping around.

robbnj

11/6/09
I've had two from Watch Eden that have it and there are other members who have posted similar issues. All Miyotas.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Should be no problem with Miyotas if the correct hand size has been used. I have worked on dozens of them in the last cpl of months alone in gens and never seen a problem of this type. Miyota make a good MVT, even the cheapies. A large number of the world's gens use 'em after all. Sounds like a hand size issue to me.

Col.