• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega speedmaster moonwatch story

ThumbModds

I'm Pretty Popular
29/8/06
Here's my Christmas day highlight.

I was at my grandparents for Christmas as I have done every year of my life, This day was the best not because of gifts but because of the company involved.

My grandfathers freind of over 65 years came to visit He sat and talked for a couple of hours about his time as a forty year veteran of the US Army Air Corp/Air force Pilot.

He flew a Mustang over europe, a Corsair over Korea and a Phantom over veitnam.

Out of all this conversation the best part was when I noticed that he was wearing a Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch. One from 1969 worn every day since never serviced and runs like it's new.

I noticed it and asked "is that a__?" He said "Yes, I bought it shortly after the moon mission after seeing it was what the astronauts wore I thought it would be the Ideal watch for me if it could handle the journey to the moon, a fighter plane wouldn't phase it."

So any how this watch looks every bit of 37 years old BEATEN, WORN AND SCRATCHED.

SORRY GUYS NO PICS MAYBE NEXT TIME.

He let me check it out for a while. after returning it, He asked "do you think it's worth anything!"

My reply was "Yes, Oh yes it is a piece of history and the fact that you bought one From the original release of them makes it even more valuable. the story of what it has been thru makes it even more so."

Needless to say he will be calling his insurance agent this week to add it to his policy.

After all the years of hearing stories of this man to meet him and hear it first hand all the things he has been thru and seen in his life all i can say is, WOW. that generation was a generation of true life Hero's, men of honor Valor and distinguishment.

Men like that are the reason we are all free to live the life we do.

Well that's my Christmas day story.

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
Great story LWA.

that watch definitely has some historical value to it now. I'm sure its something he will pass down his lineage with stories told.

One of my producers for our tv shows was an F4 phantom pilot in 'Nam. His stories are awesome and it makes you feel like you're there in the cockpit with him.

definitely captivated, like a history channel special.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Nice story. Shame that you don't have pics.

Old watches are fascinating. This is my grandfather's Swiss Choisi automatic. He bought it during WW2 from a Russian officer.

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

Niko

Renowned Member
25/7/06
Thanks for that story LWA.

It's little stories like that which bring a whole new angle to collecting watches.

As an aside, it is interestig to me to recently learn that there is a whole dimension of collecting based around US Airforce, Air-corp and Fleet Air Arm flight jackets from WWII through to Vietnam.

I wonder if your granfather's friend has kept any of his jackets?

ThumbModds

I'm Pretty Popular
29/8/06
Niko said:
Thanks for that story LWA.

It's little stories like that which bring a whole new angle to collecting watches.

As an aside, it is interestig to me to recently learn that there is a whole dimension of collecting based around US Airforce, Air-corp and Fleet Air Arm flight jackets from WWII through to Vietnam.

I wonder if your granfather's friend has kept any of his jackets?

I will be inheriting my grandfathers original flight jacket from when he was in ww2 he was a B-17 Nose gunner.

Yes, his freind has kept all of his gear and plans on passing it on to his family.

Novesh

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/06
Its very nice to hear that they are still around.

It is true, too, that the breed of pilots aren't as based on honor and valour as they once were.

very nice story!!!

mdppilot

Known Member
18/9/06
My grandfather passed his flight jacket and a really old Rolex along with several stories. My Dad keeps them well protected (jacket/watch), I hope to have them one day being the only pilot in the family...

Niko

Renowned Member
25/7/06
mdppilot said:
My grandfather passed his flight jacket and a really old Rolex along with several stories. My Dad keeps them well protected (jacket/watch), I hope to have them one day being the only pilot in the family...

I am sure that would mean alot to you.

It is nice to receive an heirloom that has direct relevance to something in your life. I inherited an antique spanish side by side shotgun from my grandfather, as I was the only wing shooter in the family. I shot with it a couple of times, and now it is cleaned, oiled and on display in a case.

N.