• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

omega smp chrono not reliable?

CJSdftFLAT

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/7/07
I wanted to order an omega smp chrono from ruby and she replied back that the movement is not very reliable? what could be her reasoning behind this?

b16a2

13/1/07
It has the new asian 7750 movement in it, which is a better movement than the old 7750. It is in it's natural state i.e. no added gears, so there is no extra stress on the movement!

I have one and it has worked flawlessly for the last 6 months! If you want piece of mind have it serviced, as they can sometimes come a bit dry from the factory!

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
It depends on which Omega SMP Chrono you are talking about. The version with black bezel does indeed come with older Asian 7750 movement. However, if you are going for blue bezel standard Omega SMP Chrono, this one is definetely a keeper. I modified mine with scratched and relumed genuine dial (no "Seanaster" problem) and Swiss ETA 7750 correcting date font flaw (note that the earlier batch of this replica seems to have correct datefont as in ByTor's picture).

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
Go get it man! It's one of those must have rep.! :wink:

taiji

30/11/06
@taka

I saw a SMP Chrono and wanted to buy it very much. But I didn't because the colour for the tip of the subdial hands look orange to me. I compare it with the pics posted by Bytor and they show red colour

So, which one is correct?

Thanks

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
The genuine hands are more orange than red. The reps didn't quite get it right yet.

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
The gen tip also fades, mine was pink after 4-5 years and practically white after 10.

evilgenius88

Plotting world domination
Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
Most (hobby) watchmakers that have experience with the new Asia 7750 agree that the movement itself is a very good replication of the Valjoux 7750 (the original Swiss version of the movement). Most problems come from the fact it's not oiled properly and dirty out of the factory. It still is a good and reliable movement, but the rep movement experts say a properly serviced Asia 7750 can last as long as Swiss one.

So the new Asia 7750 is a good and reliable movement, while the older Asia is something we'd advise against. The blue bezel SMP Chrono's come with the new Asia 7750.

CJSdftFLAT

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/7/07
wow thanks guys! I will order one as soon as my funds allow. Now the question is..... which dealer has the more accurate rep?

evilgenius88

Plotting world domination
Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
One thing you should learn immediately in the rep hobby is that, nowadays, 90% of the time, the models are all the same. As in coming from one factory, just being sold by different people. The thing that differs most is the movement, but in case of a chrono like the SMP, it's always the Asia 7750, so there is no difference there.

Your original questions is a version of the much unappreciated "Who has the best sub?", known to be a frequent question amongst people new to the rep scene. So try to find out if there are different versions at all, then check out dealers' sites and compare stuff. Search the forums for reviews / reccomendations from people who bought one.

There are many great dealers and I wouldn't feel good to name one, definetley as I seem to believe the watch they sell is the same thing, so the dealer choice all comes down to what kind of service you need / are satisfied with and how much they will charge you for the thing. Good luck!

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
@marinlicina

Right on the money! Excellent post!

Klink

Life is Good!

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
taiji said:
@taka

I saw a SMP Chrono and wanted to buy it very much. But I didn't because the colour for the tip of the subdial hands look orange to me. I compare it with the pics posted by Bytor and they show red colour

So, which one is correct?

Thanks

Correct colour is glowing orange not dark red like some of SMP non chrono Bond type. This replica comes with closest to genuine orange tip colour. Nevertheless, the difference to genuine is very subtle (PO's replica orange colour is still way off). Here is for your comparison, it comes with genuine chrono second counter hand:

dscn5720bv0.jpg

taiji

30/11/06
Hi Taka,

I just ordered a gen ETA 7750 Date wheel from cousin. Do you think it will fit well on my SMP chrono?

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
taiji said:
Hi Taka,

I just ordered a gen ETA 7750 Date wheel from cousin. Do you think it will fit well on my SMP chrono?

Yes it will fit on Asian 7750. It's a big upgrade step. I changed mine to ETA7750 though.