• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega SMP Chrono Diver review & gen-rep side by side pic

taiji

30/11/06
Being a fan for IWC and Panerai, Omega has never crossed my mind and I never thought I will take a second look at it till I saw Bytor's review.

At that moment, I have no idea how a gen SMP chrono look like but after seeing it at the AD and then compared with Bytor's pics. Damn... this one is a super spot on. It was a must have for me.

The gen runs on an Omega M64 self-winding date chrono caliber (aka ETA 7750). It comes with a satin finished one-sided turnable blue stainless steel divers bezel, stainless steel bracelet polished / satin finished, stainless steel safety folding clasp with extension, blue dial with wave design, luminous indices with sapphire crystal (Non-AR to what I understand) and It has a 44 hours power reserve. There is a helium valve at 10 o'clock position and it is water resistant up to 300m. Case diameter is 41.5mm and height is 16.4mm

The rep factory actually made 2 versions for this super rep. Case diameter is 42mm and height is 17mm. So it is not too far off and not noticeable as compared with the gen.

I was confused about the correct colour on the tip of the hands at first. I thought it was red at first but this is due to the ighting. Here a pic that show “redâ€

dlanzer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/7/07
Nice review.. Thanks for sharing the info. By the way do you own the gen version?

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
23/10/06
Good review! I think you just about covered everything in a well laid out format. Interesting reading for all SMP fans. A really good rep indeed!

Though it might be worth mentioning some common faults with my watch;

Dodgy clasp - spring not locking both buttons, diver extension falling out and link pin (connecting the three straight bars) is the weakest point, eventually shearing apart and the watch falling off the the wrist, the next time you try to remove it !

However, the watch case & bezel etc. has been very good. A solid watch let down by the sometimes temperamental asian mov't.

...the 25j ETA that I transplanted into mine a while back has eventually packed in! It doesn't hold the power reserve for more than a day :cry:

C4

Known Member
6/8/07
Is the Seamaster script font on the dial different on the Rep... looks like it is a bit different.. but that is being very picky..

Schnappy

Known Member
25/10/06
On the rep, it's written almost like Seanaster, not Seamaster. It's very subtle though. Hard to detect.

Matt Watch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/07
I really like your reviews and learn from each one. I wonder how much wrist time this will get with you?

Thanks!

Matt

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
Great post~! kudos to you my friend~! :wink:

taiji

30/11/06
@schnappy
The flaw for mis-spelling of "seanaster" usually happen at the rep's caseback not on the dial.

@C4
Trust me, the seamaster script font on the rep dial is a spot on. The pic above do no justice as it was a bit distorted as I am trying to fits the 2 pics in one.

@dlanzer
No, I do not own a gen but as the rep is so close to the gen, I did alot of research before pulling the trigger on this one.

@Matt
Honestly speaking, the reps that have more wrist time are ultimate PO and the newly purchased Tag Heuer Golf (I have the black and white for my lady) Cool looking and very affordable reps to wear for all events.

Schnappy

Known Member
25/10/06
@taiji: please look closely on the dial. As I mentioned, difference is very subtle.
This is the rep dial
dscn5483ga1.jpg

Genuine dial:
dscn5420gd9.jpg

Genuine has slightly taller tip on m.

taiji

30/11/06
@schnappy

Amazing :shock: , I think I'm getting old in spotting this difference.

Good eyes mate
:D

Schnappy

Known Member
25/10/06
This problem exists in most Omega replica. Looks closely on "m" and you'll know if it's an unmodded rep.