• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega SMP chrono bezel insert

sailboat641

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/11/06
I gotta question for those who have replaced their Omega SMP bezel. When popping out the bezel, does the pearl also come out?

Reason I'm asking is that I've wanted to replace the pearl on my SMP chrono, but not sure if I have to purchase a genuine bezel that also has the pearl. Some of the aftermarket bezel on the Bay have inserts with a cutout for the pearl.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. If anyone can point me on where I can purchase a genuine one that would be great.

trekracer20

29/12/06
As in rolex subs, I'm fairly sure that the bezel, pearl, and any metallic ring that may surround the pearl is all one piece. If you're good and careful, you might be able to pry the pearl away and replace it indivudually (assuming you could find a good individual pearl that you liked) and replace it.[/i]

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
23/10/06
yeah, just dont use anything metallic to do the prying!

sailboat641

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/11/06
Thanks for the info fellas. Crazy thing is that I can't get the bezel to pop off. I cracked a fingernail trying to get it off......

scooter14

Horology Curious
20/9/06
I used a blowdryer to heat the bezel up (careful not to get too close for too long) then cooled it off by setting in front of an airconditioner vent. Next I gently tapped the side of the watch on the palm of my hand and... voila! The insert popped right out.

Might work for you.

caravaggio

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/6/06
scooter14 said:
I used a blowdryer to heat the bezel up (careful not to get too close for too long) then cooled it off by setting in front of an airconditioner vent. Next I gently tapped the side of the watch on the palm of my hand and... voila! The insert popped right out.

Might work for you.

Where in the world did you get this method??

Curious.

trekracer20

29/12/06
The pearl is probably not really supposed to come off of the insert, but I'm sure it would if it was given enough reason to. But are you replacing the bezel, or just moving it? I personally think the bezel on the smp chrono is plenty good enough to keep, and wouldn't replace it. But it would be a good idea to line the numbers and long lines up with the sharp points of the bezel, as the gen is.

If you want to move it or take it off, applying heat with a dryer might be the best method--I've heard that the bezel on the smp chrono is a bitch and a half to get off, with people having trouble even with bezel removers. Heat will release the adhesive used in a minute or two.