• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega SMP Asian to Swiss 7750 switch, stuck and need help!

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
Well after tinkering around with some asian 21j's (some generously donated by fellow members), I decided I wanted to try upgrading a broken Seasmaster chrono I had to a Swiss 7750 like a few brave and skilled members have done lately...

I got the hands off without breaking or scratching anything (phew)...

I got the face off the old movement....

I even swapped the date wheels so it would be correct (lots of anxiety there)....

But when I just tried to mount the face on the swiss 7750, I can't get it to go the last mm or two down flat against the movement.

So here are my questions for those smarter than I,

Does mounting the face require a special technique?

Should I stop being a wimp and just push down harder?

Do I have to file the feet down?

Any other tips for the journey would be appreciated too.....Thanks, and pray for me!

bignasty

16/3/06
Did you release the tabs on either side of the movement to insert the face?

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
Haha, no sir. I would have if I knew they existed! That made it much better. The face is on, the hands are on (except for center seconds), and it is ticking away! Still a long way to go though...

I have to figure out the center seconds problem.

I am going to file the threads off of one of the stems I have and shorten it to make it a non-screw down crown since the rep crown is crummy and causes problems. By the way, I am guessing you unscrew the stem out of the crown counter-clockwise? I could not find instructions on how to seperate the two anywhere.

I noticed I scratched up the hour hand a bit too....oh well.

Thanks for the help bignasty, FYI... I am the proud owner of an old project of yours, the swiss 7750 serie speciale. I have to say you are a big part of the inspiration for me doing this project. Cheers!