• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Seamaster GMT

Sockeye

Horology Curious
13/2/09
Hi there,

I guess it would sound like a super dumb question, but I suppose I still need to find the answer.

I just received the Omega GMT replica and it looks and feels just awesome. As far as I know it has some sort of asian mechanism inside.

Now, 20 hours after arrival they suddenly stopped and unscrewing the crown and playing with the date adjustment restarted the watch. I thought that these replicas are quartz watches running off the battery. Is this not the case here and this Omega GMT actually needs to be winded?

Should I try and discuss with the seller a replacement option?

What am I missing?

Thanks

Sockeye

Horology Curious
13/2/09
Thank you.

I just tried winding it.

Once the crown is unscrewed (prior to pulling the crown away form the body to time/date adjusting positions) it feels that the watch could be winded as the crown goes though some resistance. However, it does not eventually come to a stop as I used to while winding mechanical watches.

Is this how it is supposed to be? How do I know if the watch is fully wound up?

Kind Regards

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
That's because it is an auto watch not a mechanical watch. It is equipped with a slipping mainspring or 'Bridle' so you cannopt overwind it. But you can overbank it and shorten it's life. the purpose of the winder stem is to get it going and set it. Not go willy nilly on it.

Sockeye

Horology Curious
13/2/09
Thanks, got it.

Too bad if I don't wear it all the time it would have to be quite often reset.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Well people didn't wear auto or mechanical watches in the old days because they loved them so much. they wore them because they had to. They do not keep accurate time and require maintenance. Today people wear them because they like them. The people who 'really' need to depend on a timepiece wear quartz.