• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

OMEGA Seamaster "Bond" adjustment guide

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
mini2.jpg

Omega Seamaster "Bond" is arguably one of the best and most convincing replica watches ever made. So it's no surprise it has become one of the most popular replica models among the community.

Despite being so good even this replica comes with flaws which are unacceptable for some. We get all the same questions about this rep almost every week which basically bore me to death. So I tried to collect all useful information about the Mighty SMP into one post. This guide helps to give newbies some hints how to mod, maintain and adjust the watch... and make it even better.

1. MISALIGNED BEZEL

The first and foremost flaw is the bezel insert. For some unknown and strange reason the replica factories puts most SMP's (not just this model) out with misaligned bezel. Perhaps they do this on purpose? The next picture demonstrates the problem.

comparison.jpg

Fixing the bezel alignment isn't difficult, you can do it yourself. Sotirisp posted excellent and informational guide to the old RWG. Since it haven't been reposted here I took a liberty to copy his excellent pictures and information into this article:

2. BEZEL REMOVAL

12bezel.jpg

34bezel2.jpg

56bezel.jpg

Which i did afterwards...the result is below:

9bezel.jpg

The insert is glued (or taped) into the bezel. When you remove the bezel you can push the insert off from backwards. Then just reglue it into new correct position. In theory you don't have to remove the whole bezel in order to align the insert again, but it's virtually impossible to force any sharp object between the insert and bezel hole - and then pull the insert off without seriously damaging and scratching it.

3. BRACELET

People constantly complain that the SMP "Bond" bracelet is one of the toughest watch bands to resize. I don't think it's difficult at all, as soon as you figure out how the bracelet is constructed.

Because of this "complex" and unusual resizing method the new replica SMP models probably come with screws instead of pins (which in inaccurate). The old replica version uses the same pin-and-sleeve bearing arrangement as the genuine. Yes, even the genuine parts fit.

Here's my explanation how to resize the "Bond" bracelet:

1. There are two "stopper tubes". You have to put these tubes into the two the link pinholes "narrow" side down. When installed correctly they stay put. Their purpose is to increase friction and "tighten" the pins and thus prevent them from becoming loose, so obviously you want to place them the correct way. When the 2 stopper tubes are in the place you just tap the pins normally in. It's not more complex than that.

arrangement.jpg

4. POLISHING

My SMP is my "tool watch". It was heavily used through the whole last year and the bracelet was full of dings, dangs and scratches. So I polished it throughly with abrasive stainless steel polishing paste. I used so much force that I ended up with full mirror finish.

S5ee300002.jpg

The problem is that this kind of finish is inaccurate. Genuine SMP has only the small middle link "stripes" polished. They didn't "shine out" from the bracelet anymore. So what to do?

I ran across THIS TimeZone article a while back (interesting):

So I decided to try. I didn't have Scotch Brite Pad but I was glad to find out that my girlfriend had bought this:

pad2fe.jpg

It's a typical kitchen pad which is designed to clean up ingrained dirt. Its surface is rough and abrasive enough to be a perfect tool to brush stainless steel. I tried it previously on my Rolex Oyster bands and got excellent results. It also works to brush off the surface scratches from the clasp.

I used the same method as in the TimeZone article (taped the polished stripes of the bracelet accordingly). Brushed finish came back, the watch is scratch free and looks like brand new again.

And here's the finished SMP bracelet:

smpband.jpg

5. PEARL

SMP pearl is another obvious flaw. The rep pearl doesn't look like the real thing and it might bother some. Veloci has made an EXCELLENT tutorial how to construct a genuine looking bezel pearl by yourself. My hats off to him, I don't have skills to duplicate that, but if you're adventurous enough why not give it a go? Veloci's tutorial can be reviewed HERE.

SUMMARY:

I think we have covered almost everything that's essential about the SMP in this article. Thanks again to Sotirisp (who's unfortunately MIA while writing this).

People keep saying that the "new batch" SMP is inferior compared to the old one, but the only main difference (that I'm aware of) is the bracelet construction which wouldn't bother me, personally. It's still one of the nicest and most accurate replicas.

These adjustments are by no means *necessary*, and the SMP rep is impressive even without them. This stuff is only the "extra" icing on the cake. Enjoy your great rep, whether you want to attempt these mods or not.

Thanks for looking.

wallpaper.jpg

meme

Horology Curious
11/5/06
Re: Bezel
Can one assume the same instructions for a replica PO?

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
that was a great contri, very interesting and helpful...thanks so much for the efforts !!
appreciate it !!

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Wow... a reply to this!!! The last one was from June, 2006!!!

You're most welcome Unitas!!! ;)

smyrnasurfin

18/1/07
By-Tor said:
Wow... a reply to this!!! The last one was from June, 2006!!!

You're most welcome Unitas!!! ;)

I guess I have never replied to your reviews, but I have read most all and I appreicate the time and effort you go though to provide this info. It is really helpful, especially to a newbie.

David

clint eastwood

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/6/06
Re: COMPLETE OMEGA SMP "Bond" replica guide

One more tips, you can find a pad to brush it on garden shop, a pad n sold to remove old paint on wood; it work nice :D

clint eastwood

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/6/06
Re: COMPLETE OMEGA SMP "Bond" replica guide

it cost only 3usd, be careful you can found the same on the bay but solf for double of the price and for a realy small part of the big one .

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Bump for a great thread!
Rep points given.