• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Sea Master Pro Chronograph (200M tested!) & Gen Box

DarthAlex

Renowned Member
22/8/10
Alabama
Omega Seamaster Pro Chronograph (2225.80)
Gen is water resistant to 300 Meter or 1000ft

Watch Provided by Timesshop

Gen Box provided by dream-watch @ watchnet

I really wanted the "Bond" version initially but the inaccuracies of that model were too much for me to bear. Although I did find out Ofrei has Gen parts available to fix many of the issues, you can even buy a complete gen case if you are of a mind to do so (Price just shy of $700 USD). Thanks to R2D4, I had the catalogs the whole time and never noticed!

The Chrono really grew on me fast however, so it was with excitement that I pulled the trigger on this one. I will later upgrade it with gen parts, a gen dial, gen hands, and may be do the whole case. Rep chronos are usually harder to seal up to any great depth, but as it turns out, this rep case may be able to do service at the same depth the gen does...read on!

This is the first time I pushed my tester to 20 ATM, its max. It wasnt without trepidation either...I have been watching video all day of the nuclear reactor in Japan going up and I envisioned quite intensely the pressure chamber going up in a mushroom shaped cloud as I pumped furiously away. Yes I have done my math, and it should handle many times that amount of pressure, but the math is based from sources on the internet...well you get the picture. If you do hear an earth shattering kaboom in the future (think Marvin the Martian) I have likely launched myself into orbit and succeeded in obtaining my very first (and last) Darwin award.

I lubed the gaskets with silicone grease all but the pushers. They are really tightly installed, and I didnt want to mar the case improvising so I decided to test it as is. If it failed I could simply get a tool and remove them. Well boys and girls, ladies and germs...

with nothing more than grease and reassembly...

it tested to... wait for it!

20 ATM!!!

Yep, thats right...20 ATM, 200 Meters, or 660 ft! God I was so pleased I almost orgasmed...can I say that here? Oh well, apologies if I crossed a line but dang I was a happy camper! This is a rep chrono, virtually out of the box. I tested the case empty and let it sit for an our before depressurising the chamber and removing it. Result: dry as a bone. AWESOME.

Who says a Bergeon chamber can't go to 20?

omegasmp17.jpg

omegasmp1.jpg

No wet stuff inside, so far so good!

omegasmp2.jpg

After an hour, still nice and dry on the inside.

omegasmp4.jpg

Ok, so here is what I did...first remove the case back, then the magnetic shield and expose the movement. Release and remove the stem and crown by depressing button 1. Then remove the two screws (2) and the movement is ready to leave the case.

omegasmp26.jpg

I started with the helium valve...Use a screw driver and turn the screw counter clockwise. If you unscrew the valve cap first you will have to hold it with your fingers while backing out the stem. Next unscrew the valve cap.

omegasmp13.jpg

Remove the cap and stem. You can see the empty tube from the inside.

omegasmp8.jpg

There is a small o-ring inside the tube. Come at it from the outside and give it some grease. (I use and artist brush but watch for stray bristles as some brushes can shed).

omegasmp7.jpg

Next there is a small gasket inside the valve cap, grease it. (Helium valve cap and stem pictured).

omegasmp9.jpg

Reassemble Stephanie, reassemble! Place the cap on the outside and screw it down. Hold it firmly and place the stem back in from the inside of the case, and screw it down clockwise until tight. Now for the crown tube. The crown tube has no gaskets but it does have threads on the inside of the tube.

omegasmp10.jpg

There are two o-rings stacked in the crown. Lube these.

omegasmp11.jpg

I deally you would want to remove the pushers and lube them too, but since it tested ok I will leave it be for now. When I get a tool, I will remove the pushers and add that info in.

omegasmp14.jpg

The last thing to grease is the case back gasket. You can grease the grove, insert the gasket, then grease to top of the gasket or if you have a flat silicone container, pop the gasket into it and close the lid and it will grease both sides at once. Either way make sure you grease the whole gasket, not just the surface.

omegasmp15.jpg

This crystal was fully pressed when I checked it while the movement was out. It is a good idea to press the crystal to be sure it is seated before testing, if you have a press. It wouldnt be the first rep that came with crystal that was not pressed in properly.

I tested the case empty to depth first, to see if it leaks under pressure. If you are testing it with a standard 3 ATM tester you can re-insert the movement, then the crown stem (it helps to depress the stem release button while inserting the stem) and tighten the case back. Then test in the usual manner. If you dont have a tester then I recommend you take it to a local watch smith and have it tested. But if you are going to get the watch wet at the very least grease the gaskets as an added measure of safety.

After I was done putting it back together I retested with the movement installed just to make sure I didnt have any leaks from a pinched gasket or debris.

omegasmp12.jpg

All Done!

omegasmp3.jpg

Lume is so so, and the wrong color. I will probably mix up a batch and address this sometime soon.

omegasmp6.jpg

The watch and box both arrived today! Great timing.

omegasmp18.jpg

omegasmp19.jpg

omegasmp20.jpg

omegasmp16.jpg

omegasmp21.jpg

omegasmp22.jpg

omegasmp23.jpg

omegasmp24.jpg

omegasmp25.jpg

Thanks for looking!

:watching:

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
You tested the case empty, yes? No caseback?

mbjoer

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/09
Well done. And great result, especially with the water proofing.

One message to take from this, is that the watch has a good basic design. What you did to make it water resistant could have been done by the factory.

The dealers should pressure test sports watches as a normal part of the QC, and guarantee the result.

I hope that they will spot this as a competitive parameter just as some did with detailed QC over the last year.

DarthAlex

Renowned Member
22/8/10
Alabama
You tested the case empty, yes? No caseback?

Case sealed up with case back and no movement. Tested that way to 20ATM. After it passed, inserted movement and then retested fully assembled.

The reason for testing with out the movement and submerged is as I build pressure, if there is a leak I will see water entering the case, and from where, and no risk to the movement. Plus a leak may only occur at a given pressure. Testing the other way, you pressurize the chamber with the watch in the air first and then submerge it. Then when pressure is released if there is a leak, air flows from high pressure in the watch to low pressure in the chamber leaving a stream of bubbles showing the leak. When dive watches are tested in high pressure testers to depth (water type) pressure is created while the watch is submerged just like it would be in dive conditions so a failure, if there is one, is catastrophic.

Well done. And great result, especially with the water proofing.

One message to take from this, is that the watch has a good basic design. What you did to make it water resistant could have been done by the factory.

The dealers should pressure test sports watches as a normal part of the QC, and guarantee the result.

I hope that they will spot this as a competitive parameter just as some did with detailed QC over the last year.

It didnt occure to me to test it before greasing the seals but it is possible that it may have tested to depth as is. But really the seals should be greased, it really helps.

It is really amazing to me how good some of these rep cases are. What more would a person want? I'm ubber happy.

smascarinas

I'm Pretty Popular
16/2/10
this is sweet! at first when i got to this site... i thought reps were all for just looks... but with this test proves me wrong... and these watches are definitely the most bang you can get for your buck!!!!

Snpr9696

I'm Pretty Popular
Trusted Dealer
26/5/10
Great write up
The picture you took of the empty case just made me put this on my next to buy list.

ck6459

11/9/10
Thanks for this great post.
May I know where to get a pressure tester like yours?
I feel like testing my PO after reading your post.

DarthAlex

Renowned Member
22/8/10
Alabama
I made mine which isnt that hard to do using replacement parts from Bergeon. I used a pump from Topeak and base which was an old switch box from an old phone switch. Misc plumbing was all that was needed as the pump is fitted with a gauge.

The part I used from Bergeon:
http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/product5347.html

You can by testers that test from 3-6 ATM on Ebay.

Noah Fuller is the cheapest I have found for a Bergeon Knock off. Ebay is the second cheapest.
http://www.10watches.com/apps/webstore/products/show/98095

Bergeon is $650 USD. They have a new tester coming out that is more that goes to 10 ATM.

3 ATM Bergeon:
http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/bergeon-waterproof-tester.html

New Bergeon 10 ATM Tester:
http://hswalsh.com/Bergeon_Immersion_Waterproof_Tester_.aspx?i=HW5555&t=216

The Calypso tests to 11 ATM:
http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/product1917.html

DarthAlex

Renowned Member
22/8/10
Alabama
Of Course it is...you can buy one and then you can send it to me and I can waterproof it (make it water resistant).

Option 2 is I can order one with my next order and water proof it and then you can buy it from me.

I gues there is a third option: I sell you mine and I order another one...

ck6459

11/9/10
What would the price be if i buy yours?
Lucky you, I don't think you will normally get such a good piece out there.:thinking:
I would have ordered a watch with him and get it waterproofed if I haven't bought my PO.:facepalm:

ck6459

11/9/10
Of Course it is...you can buy one and then you can send it to me and I can waterproof it (make it water resistant).

Option 2 is I can order one with my next order and water proof it and then you can buy it from me.

I gues there is a third option: I sell you mine and I order another one...
How much will you charge for the awesome water proofing service + test?