• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega PO Fixed- Watchmaker fooled!!

Aquaracer

5/1/07
So my gorgeous new PO from Eddie Lee still wouldn't wind itself- the rotor seemed to be experiencing some resistance- And I'm not qualified to screw with the guts of an automatic watch yet.

Made a few phone calls to the local watch shops- BIG mistake- "Do you know anyone who works on mechanical watches?" I asked- They all had their own watch guy- when I mentioned it was a "High Grade Replica" one of the guys cursed and hung up on me- the other two basically said "You're on your own".

My wife remembered a teeny little downtown "Watch Doctor" type shop. I called up and the guy answered on like the 30th ring. I told him I had an Omega with a Swiss ETA movement- He asked me how long I'd had it- I told him it was brand new- He explained that he was not a warranty station for any major brands, I explained that it was NOT a real Omega.

Brought it down, told him the story- he popped it open right in front of me, pulled off the rotor, unscrewed a few things, muttered a few words, put the rotor back on- fixed! Screwed it back together, wiped it off, handed it back to me- refused to take any money. (I left a $20 on his bench anyway) There's some sort of clutch on these that had stuck on mine, he popped it loose and the thing swung like crazy.

As I was thanking him he said "That's a real beauty you have there- a nice big watch"- "Thanks" I said.

"What's a watch like that cost these days" he asked...Not wanting to divulge too much I just said- "I paid a pretty good price- I'm pleased".

"What are those- like two or Three grand??" He asked- "Yeah" I said- referring to the gen. We chatted for a few minutes and it dawned on me that he thought it WAS the gen! Now I know this was an older guy who probably hasn't seen any new high end watches lately- and had not seen an Omega made within the last 20 years- And i KNOW an omega authorized watchsmith would have busted me from 20 feet- But still pretty impressive- don't you think??

I have a similar story about my trip to the AD with my new Pam 111H on my wrist that I'll share later this week once I post a few pictures.

D

d4m.test

I'm glad you kept your lips tight about the true nature of your PO. Like I always say, "keep this good thing to ourselves else customs will be tighter and tighter".

-bm

Aquaracer said:
So my gorgeous new PO from Eddie Lee still wouldn't wind itself- the rotor seemed to be experiencing some resistance- And I'm not qualified to screw with the guts of an automatic watch yet.

Made a few phone calls to the local watch shops- BIG mistake- "Do you know anyone who works on mechanical watches?" I asked- They all had their own watch guy- when I mentioned it was a "High Grade Replica" one of the guys cursed and hung up on me- the other two basically said "You're on your own".

My wife remembered a teeny little downtown "Watch Doctor" type shop. I called up and the guy answered on like the 30th ring. I told him I had an Omega with a Swiss ETA movement- He asked me how long I'd had it- I told him it was brand new- He explained that he was not a warranty station for any major brands, I explained that it was NOT a real Omega.

Brought it down, told him the story- he popped it open right in front of me, pulled off the rotor, unscrewed a few things, muttered a few words, put the rotor back on- fixed! Screwed it back together, wiped it off, handed it back to me- refused to take any money. (I left a $20 on his bench anyway) There's some sort of clutch on these that had stuck on mine, he popped it loose and the thing swung like crazy.

As I was thanking him he said "That's a real beauty you have there- a nice big watch"- "Thanks" I said.

"What's a watch like that cost these days" he asked...Not wanting to divulge too much I just said- "I paid a pretty good price- I'm pleased".

"What are those- like two or Three grand??" He asked- "Yeah" I said- referring to the gen. We chatted for a few minutes and it dawned on me that he thought it WAS the gen! Now I know this was an older guy who probably hasn't seen any new high end watches lately- and had not seen an Omega made within the last 20 years- And i KNOW an omega authorized watchsmith would have busted me from 20 feet- But still pretty impressive- don't you think??

I have a similar story about my trip to the AD with my new Pam 111H on my wrist that I'll share later this week once I post a few pictures.

tutima

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/06
Its great that you got your watch fixed, but it surprises me how he could not tell the difference between a rep and a gen, I think the movement would have given it away.

Aquaracer

5/1/07
Yeah that seems to be wise- I don't think I'd ever lie to someone about a rep- I own a bunch of gens and have been a "Watch guy" for a while- so i don't think anyone would even suspect I was wearing a dreaded "Fake"- but if someone asks I would fess up to the fact that it was a rep- I think the white lie I'd tell would be "It was a gift from a friend who travelled to Switzerland" or some such nonsense-

efnstefn

Renowned Member
3/4/06
So the idea of reps is to FOOL people???? Oh my God, my old lady was right!

Why the f*ck should we need to fool people??? ACK.....I need a drink. STOP ME.... No No No

Aquaracer

5/1/07
tutima said:
Its great that you got your watch fixed, but it surprises me how he could not tell the difference between a rep and a gen, I think the movement would have given it away.

Yeah I would have though so too!!

Then again the rotor is stamped "Omega" as is the case back- It's not a cheap 21j deal-and i think for someone who is not all that well versed with current Omega offerings- it didn't look like a cheapo- so he didn't assume it was- Just looked like the same ETA offerings he probably had some experience with- All i saw in the shop was a bunch of 40 year old hand winds and lots of newer cheap Quartz watches.

I'm sure if it had been in for a full disassembly my cover would have been blown, even though i told him TWCE it was a rep.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
...Thanks for the story..I like going into a watchmaker's shop, one who has been in business for a long time.
I have found that some of the older watch guys are are nicer, have more experience, and don't have silly
watch expert attitudes like some of the hot-shot younger sales type guys...and the good news is you now
have someone to work on you reps... :)

Aquaracer

5/1/07
Yeah I guess the best part is i don't even need a story- If it's a mechanical watch he'll fix it.

The downside is the guy is open like 3 hours a week so it's not exactly conveninet- But I'm just glad there's one of these guys stillalive in my area!! He has the watchmakers lathe and all of that old school stuff!

scottie333

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/10/06
Teabags!

Guys.

I am an Englishman who for the moment lives in a small town in Germany.

Being a Noob and also a little "Ham-fisted", whenever I receive my Reps, I take them down to a little local Jewellers Shop to get the Bracelet adjusted. I have now discovered through chatting with him that he is a "Master Watchsmith" as well as a Jeweller!!!

The owner speaks a little English and is in his late 50's, maybe early 60's. He doesn't charge me very much and the other day, I tentatively asked him if he could order Swiss ETA's for me if I ever needed them.

No problems, he said and then he smiled and said he would even fit them for me!!!

He then asked me if i could get him some English Teabags from the NAAFI (British military shop like an American PX) as he can't buy them in Germany. "Of course" I said!

After all, never bite the hand that feeds you!!!! :lol:

Scott.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Aquaracer said:
Then again the rotor is stamped "Omega" as is the case back- It's not a cheap 21j deal-and i think for someone who is not all that well versed with current Omega offerings- it didn't look like a cheapo- so he didn't assume it was- Just looked like the same ETA offerings he probably had some experience with- All i saw in the shop was a bunch of 40 year old hand winds and lots of newer cheap Quartz watches.
In theory, the lack of co-axial escapement should have been a huge giveaway. If he's not familiar with the insides of modern Omegas though, all he would have to go on was the quality of the construction and the movement: This is where your watch is good. :D

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Yeah... movement. ETA2824-2 or 2836-2 are reliable workhorses. Many genuine watches at 1000-2000 USD range uses these watch movements.

zetterdawg

Renowned Member
12/5/06
efnstefn said:
So the idea of reps is to FOOL people???? Oh my God, my old lady was right!

Why the f*ck should we need to fool people??? ACK.....I need a drink. STOP ME.... No No No

we do because we can't all afford to buy real ones... or Bentley Continentals. :)

caravaggio

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/6/06
Indeed...2824

movements are good reliable little machines...

And so common...

When i found out , after paying over $1000, that my Breitling Colt had the common 2824 slightly modified inside, I felt a little ripped off.

I certainly enjoy knowing that a good decent rep can be had because of the coomonly good 2824 or 2836 inside... What is really the difference here??? My gen Breitling did not feel any more rich on my wrist than any reps I've ever owned...

In fact, some reps felt 2X better on the wrist than a few gen I have owned...

The dial finish on the Colt was perfect, I will give it that, but the bracelet felt kinda cheap, the bezel had some play and crown could have been a little smoother...

And to think that this gen retails new for almost $2,500!!!! :shock:

Yes... i know... the old topic of the OVERPRICED SWISS WATCHES...

Except the only brand i feel is decent enough with an attractive price point is : Tissot. Some of their sprots lines is getting appealing to the eye, some nice pieces...And affordable....

LL

Aquaracer

5/1/07
Well I don't think for one second that any of these reps would fool a real kowledgeable seller, repairer or owner of the gens- but who cares? I've worn my Tag Link Chrono into the AD where I bought my gen Tag Carrera twice now, took it off, placed it on the glass showcase while trying on a another watch. Dealer picked up the rep Tag, looked it over, placed it back on the counter- he was only upset that I didn't buy it from him. (Oh yeah- I saved $2400!)

But it is encouraging that a swiss ETA (Or wherever they're made) rep, disassembled by an experienced watchmaker- has the look and feel of a quality piece, not a cheap knock off. Certainly anyone even remotely familiar with the general details of the watch and the actual fit and finish of the real deal would know-

But remember- even a watch with as passionate a following as Panerai has very, very few real afficianados- and a lot of poser fans. (like me I guess) My Eddie Lee 111H with no cannon pin fix and no superlume on the cheapo rep strap got more than a few glances the other day when i upgraded to 1st class from LAX to JFK. I took it off, handed it to a Breitling wearing neighbor on the plane- He looked it over very closely- especially the movement- and was very impressed- he thought he was looking at a $4,000 watch. A "Paneristi" would have busted me from 100 yards.

That said- when I've had the chance to handle the gens- from my own Tags to Panerai's at the watch store- They ARE finished better and DO feel more expensive- Just not sure $4000 more...

Hyster

29/7/06
Nice story Aquaracer, I always enjoy reading these.

You may have found a very useful friend there.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Well Aquaracer... Certainly that rep or gen has its own merit :p
PS: I have similar thougts as you that most of gen Swiss Made watches are overpriced.

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
If you got the money i guess, but when a watch reaches 8K and isn't solid gold, its disappointingly overpriced!

caravaggio

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/6/06
All Swiss watches are overipriced. PERIOD

They just know how to finish them nice so to make you feel you have a rich expensive watch. that is all.

It's their talent for good finish that does the trick.

Except for some very very few exceptions where the watch is assembled by hand with a super complication like a Patek or a Lecoultre... :?: