• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega PO chrono crown question?!

mullerhawk

Known Member
22/3/07
Yesterday I picked up my first rep - the new Omega PO chrono with Asian 7750 28.800bpm movement (orange). It works like a charm and keeps time even better than my 5yo gen smp chrono ever did :shock: . Even the chronograph functions excellent without a hitch or stopping the subdials in the wrong place. Only problem I got was a couple of small scratches on the bezel insert. But im hoping my dealer will fix this (just e-mailed him).

BUT! Since this is my first repl. I’m used to the crown on my gen smp which is rock solid. But when I unscrewed the crown on the PO to wind it up, and to set the time and date I thought the whole crown would fall of the pin. When it's unscrewed it's really flimsy and can move quite freely on the pin and feels like it's going to fall off. But when you screw the crown back in it settles and remains immovable like it should be.

Does this have to do with the difference of the threads/tube compared to the gen? Or is it something wrong with how the crown is mounted on the pin?

Next buy, Panerai 177H from Davidsen...

kazushi

5/8/06
mullerhawk said:
Yesterday I picked up my first rep - the new Omega PO chrono with Asian 7750 28.800bpm movement (orange). It works like a charm and keeps time even better than my 5yo gen smp chrono ever did :shock: . Even the chronograph functions excellent without a hitch or stopping the subdials in the wrong place. Only problem I got was a couple of small scratches on the bezel insert. But im hoping my dealer will fix this (just e-mailed him).

BUT! Since this is my first repl. I’m used to the crown on my gen smp which is rock solid. But when I unscrewed the crown on the PO to wind it up, and to set the time and date I thought the whole crown would fall of the pin. When it's unscrewed it's really flimsy and can move quite freely on the pin and feels like it's going to fall off. But when you screw the crown back in it settles and remains immovable like it should be.

Does this have to do with the difference of the threads/tube compared to the gen? Or is it something wrong with how the crown is mounted on the pin?

Next buy, Panerai 177H from Davidsen...

Not really sure of the PO rep, but I have a Breit using the same movement, the crown when pulled to the set position feels well balance and solid ! It could be that your crown is not screwed properly on the stem ?

mullerhawk

Known Member
22/3/07
Might be that's the problem.

Question is if thats the case if it's enough to hold the stem with some pliers and turn the crown to get it to stick?! It would'nt be so nice if i dropped the crown because of this!

Mike

kazushi

5/8/06
mullerhawk said:
Might be that's the problem.

Question is if thats the case if it's enough to hold the stem with some pliers and turn the crown to get it to stick?! It would'nt be so nice if i dropped the crown because of this!

Mike

Never tried to secure a crown on a stem while stem is on the movement... don't know if it'll work...

tutima

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/06
Yes, the crow is supposed to feel lighter than a gen or an ETA movement. It is normal, and that's with the Asian7750 movement, no matter which watch it is on. Gens feel much more solid and secure, and you only get this problem with Asian copy movements, like the 21J Asian movements.

mullerhawk

Known Member
22/3/07
Yes, that i understand. There's a significant difference between a watch for $300 and a gen for $3000. But still - i wonder when you unscrew the crown on a PO. Should you really be able to tilt the crown a couple of degrees back and forth.. Almost feels like Kazushi said - that the crown is not fitted properly on the stem. But i need a second opinion before i unscrew the back and try to fix the crown to the stem (if that's really the problem).

tutima said:
Yes, the crow is supposed to feel lighter than a gen or an ETA movement. It is normal, and that's with the Asian7750 movement, no matter which watch it is on. Gens feel much more solid and secure, and you only get this problem with Asian copy movements, like the 21J Asian movements.

drhydro

23/3/06
It might not be the crown/stem joint at all- since the crown is an assembly (spring-loaded) itself, it could be loosey-goosey. I've seen that in one of mine.