• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Ploprof Dealer Comparisons with photos and pricing...

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
As soon as I saw this rep was available, I just about wet my pants. Like so many others, I've been waiting for this to come out and started doing my research. Always do your research, and always wait for others to take the plunge before jumping in yourself. :lol:

The first thing I learned was that these have a crystal that is actually two crystals glued together. From a dealer site, the crystal is described as "4.9mm flat scratch-resistant sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment on both sides"

Click here for the expert info on this subject:

MAJOR Ploprof Issue!!
Do NOT get your Ploprof wet.
The crystals are of laminate construction- sapphire on top mineral on bottom. This has been confirmed by two dealers. The adhesive is apparently water based.

Ploprof Crystal
Well you're all aware of my never-ending story watching my crystal delaminate. Never got the SOB to separate but I did manage to clear up some of the delamination with a little bit of Wahl Machine Oil.

I also managed to get the thing out of the case without removing the bezel. An old watchmaker once said "If you're forcing it, you're doing it wrong". I said "Eff him" and took a 1" wooden dowel and a claw hammer to the thing and got it out after 3 solid whacks...

Here's what I've been able to find so far. This is an amateur comparison, but better than nothing I suppose. :whistle: As you'll probably notice, most all of these look to come from the same factory, and have the same flaws- some more than others, especially Hont's cheapie which BTW is the only one with the correct "clown feet" or Omega Logo. :)

Notes:

A solid crystal is available on some models, read the links above for more information. With a watch this size, you'll want to stay away from the 21J as the long second hand will amplify the slower beat.

Tells:

-The split at the middle of the crown seems to have a beveled edge instead if fitting nice and flush with each other.
-Usual factory added rep-detection feature: Omega clown feet on all but the 21J Hont sells. This version makes up for it though by mis-placing the date window.

Green Arrow = good
Yellow/Green Arrow = fair
Red Arrow = poor

TrustyTime Omega Seamater Ploprof 1200m Asia 2824-2: $228 Link
trustytime-1.jpg

TimeShop.net Omega Seamater Ploprof 1200m Swiss ETA 2834 Automatic 28800BPH AND Asian Copy ETA 2836 Automatic 28800BPH: $326USD AND 268USD (Before 20usd discount and free delivery) Link
timeshopnet.jpg

PureTime Omega Seamater Ploprof 1200m Asian 2824: $218 Link
puretime-Seamaster-Ploprof-1200M-SS.jpg

Replicamake Omega Seamaster Ploprof 1200m Asia 2813-2: $128 Link
replicamake-1.jpg

Precious Time Omega Seamaster Ploprof 1200m A.2824-2: $228 Link
precious-time-1.jpg

Mary Omega Seamater Ploprof 1200m: $ Link
mary-1.jpg

Hont Omega Seamaster Ploprof 1200m with Asia ETA 2836: $228 Link
hont-eta-2836-1.jpg

Hont Omega Seamaster Ploprof 1200M Asia 21J: $128 Link
hont-21j-2.jpg

What the Hell??? This lume combo actually does exist on other Omega's, just not this one...
hont-21j-lume.jpg

Honey, turn off the TV, I can't sleep with that light on! The TV IS OFF!!!!! Then go bury that thing in the back yard and come back to bed!
hont-21j-lume-2.jpg

Cartel Omega Seamaster Ploprof 1200m: $
cartel-1.jpg

Since most all of these seem to be exactly the same, I imagine that the lume will be also... except the crazy 21J Hont versions. :)
general-lume-shot.jpg

acharria

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/10/09
Wow, what a great thread... very nice info..
Tks for sharing...
Many guys will love this thread..

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
nice one bud, but all the models list are from the same noobfactory except for the hont's 21j. I suspect is internal qc issues that cause's the various differences ..lol

sss350z

Horology Curious
10/3/10
awesome review.. ive been swimming with my ploprof a few times, and still no issues. I dont think that the crystal thing is that big of an issue.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
awesome review.. ive been swimming with my ploprof a few times, and still no issues. I dont think that the crystal thing is that big of an issue.

I think it is the luck of the draw sometimes, you just got a good one.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09

Based on what I've read, I wouldn't hesitate to send it out to a watchsmith to have the crystal "waterproofed" to keep it from delaminating. Better safe than sorry I always say. :)

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Some further details on the crystal issue.

There are now 13 reported de-laminated crystals out there and no doubt a lot more to follow.

The problem is only on the ETA/clone version, the 21j is a solid mineral crystal.

There is a solid sapphire crystal available for the ETA but as it's costs another 8 dollars from the factory few dealers went for this option. Yet another example of dealers trying to give the best price at the expense of a decent product.

Dealers: We don't care if it's ten bucks more! We just want a good watch!

Col.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
It would be nice to know which dealers are offering the solid crystal. With this available, I'd purchase one for sure.

ReplicaMake

28/5/10
Some further details on the crystal issue.

There are now 13 reported de-laminated crystals out there and no doubt a lot more to follow.

The problem is only on the ETA/clone version, the 21j is a solid mineral crystal.

There is a solid sapphire crystal available for the ETA but as it's costs another 8 dollars from the factory few dealers went for this option. Yet another example of dealers trying to give the best price at the expense of a decent product.

Dealers: We don't care if it's ten bucks more! We just want a good watch!

Col.
Let me try :)

jiddy

Renowned Member
15/4/10
Informative thread as usual, thanks!

That would be awesome to see a rep with the proper crystal from you RM. :)
Would love to have one but not with a 2 for 1 crystal, enough with other stuff to think about without worrying about a crystal splitting in half due to delaminating haha!

/J

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Well, actualy there is little wrong with a laminated crystal. Seiko have been doing it for years with their Hardlex crystals. The problem here is someone used a totally inappropriate adhesive to join them.

Col.

ricciola73s

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/6/10
LAY, all future buyer of Omega Ploprof attend this important news about the crystall.
Please give to we when you have news for fixed crystall.
Regards

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
Oh so Hont's won't have the delam issue? nice. that is a solid buy.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
None of the 21Js will as they have a mineral crystal, not sapphire.

Col.

GC

I'm Pretty Popular
1/2/10
ThinkB, as always your posts are informative and educational to say the least. Thanks for putting together such a time consuming post for the benefit of others!!!

lkzyz89efm_clap.gif