• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Planet Ocean 45.5mm First Time Buy Advice.

lockstock

Supporter
Certified
15/10/10
Hi everyone, I've only ever bought reps from suitcases stashed behined ceiling tiles behind revolving book shelves in Shanghai or from a stall in Thailand so I've never really bought the best quality. Although the Submariner I bought from shanghai is pretty good. After 3 months it now loses a few minutes a day and the Lume is pretty poor! And i dare take it near any water either! I'm looking to purchase an Omega 45.5mm Planet Ocean Orange from one of the recommended dealers on here. I have a few questions and would appreciate some help, I have searched other threads which has given me some answers but any advice would be much appreciated.

1.Is the 45.5mm Ultimate version the most accurate Rep?
2.Asian or Swiss movement?
3.What areas should i pay attention to, once i receive some QC pics?
4.Is it possible to get one that will be waterproof just so I can jump in a pool or the sea without having to take my watch off first?
5. Can anyone recommend the best dealer to get one from? Or will they all be pretty much the same?

Thank you in advance.
Lock Stock

skimpybeardy

Known Member
15/8/11
Rule Britannia (UK)
Hi Lockstock,

I hope some wiz doesnt come in while my one slow finger types this :).

I have just bought a PO 42mm and had a similar questions to you so may be educated enough to answer.

1: Q,Omega, cptkirk & paparas are best educated to answer this one but from what I gathered the 45.5mm is one of the most accurate reps, the 42mm is not far off - I may have this the wrong way round but they are very very good.

2: I looked long and hard, weighed up the pro's and cons and after a gentile nudge from Paparas I went for the Asian as the Swiss is not worth the extra $$$, however this is a personal choice - I would and have gone Asian clone.

3: pay attention to the pearl, the HE valve position.

4: Yes it is, get it serviced by a watch-smith, . . . not sure of the dealer can do it, but they normally say good for 30M anyway.

5: Marvellous replica, Like I said I have only just ordered from him, QC's will come today (he says) but so far comms have been excellent.

http://www.marvellousreplica.com

PS - levelmanroger says: "Buy the UPO on stainless bracelet (really goes for almost every rep you buy) then buy your own after-market straps (rubber or leather). Rep straps are usually pretty crappy. The UPO bracelet is a nice one anyway.
By having the bracelet and buying extra straps you have flexibility of options and increase the re-sale value of the watch in the future".

Hope this helps mate :)

lockstock

Supporter
Certified
15/10/10
Thank you. I'll get in touch with the dealer for some QC pics then. Once I get it, I'll post some pics up. I have small wrists but just prefer larger face watches so the 45.5mm it is. Just want a descent rep which has minimal flaws but can be used as you expect to be able to use any watch you pay £150 for, as in keeping good time, good lume and at least being able to swim with it. Thank you very much for replying.

nycreplica

Renowned Member
14/1/11
1. It is definitively at the top of the list.
2. Asian for sure
3. Centered pearl, HE, and bezel alignment at 12 o'clock.
4. I doubt it
5. I purchased it from Angus which is my favorite dealer. Most TDs can get the same exact watch - they source it from the same factory. It all comes down to who gives you the best service!

When you receive the watch I would highly recommend sending out to PBdad/Vac for a lume job, regulate movement, and waterproof.

Then you will have a fantastic piece.

lockstock

Supporter
Certified
15/10/10
How does it work, buying from Marvellous then, do you pay then he sources you the watch, sends the QC pics and when your happy he ships the watch to you? I take it they don't hold all the watches in stock? Thanks

1. It is definitively at the top of the list.
2. Asian for sure
3. Centered pearl, HE, and bezel alignment at 12 o'clock.
4. I doubt it
5. I purchased it from Angus which is my favorite dealer. Most TDs can get the same exact watch - they source it from the same factory. It all comes down to who gives you the best service!

When you receive the watch I would highly recommend sending out to PBdad/Vac for a lume job, regulate movement, and waterproof.

Then you will have a fantastic piece.

Thanks, I take it PBdad/Vac are members on here? I'm in the UK so ideally i could send it somewhere in the UK to have that done. Is it not possible for the Dealer to supply the watch with a decent Lume job, Regulated movement and waterproof?

Thanks

nycreplica

Renowned Member
14/1/11
Not sure about Marvelous but i'm sure all the dealers are the same.

This was my experience with Angus of Pure Time:

1. you pay
2. they source the watch - usually 1-2 days
3. they send you QC
4. You usually have 24hrs to approve
5. They ship it...
6. 1-2 weeks later you wear it :)

giobo

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/5/10
I have bought the PO from MR and it is both a good watch and dealer...
As far as i am concerned the 5th gen PO is the same watch in our TD's...

It is a good watch for daily beater with good quality and substancial bracelet..I have also changed the pearl with another to look better..

imag0382p.jpg

Usually they have a problem in the tube...
Mine also..Easy fix though, the gen tube +crown are only about 20 euros...

Cynikal.Mindset

Renowned Member
7/1/11
If you don't believe. Go search engine and do your homework...

I have seen no definitive answer why theirs is better than anybody other dealer's offering which is why I asked.

I have never used them as they don't accept paypal and their pricing is no better.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
As far as i am concerned the 5th gen PO is the same watch in our TD's..

If you try to get a 42mm PO, make sure to check if it has the correct HEV position, SN# at seven and globe on the caseback.

Seems like there was a run of the 42mm PO's that these three items were way off as compared to Gen.

giobo

6/5/10
If you try to get a 42mm PO, make sure to check if it has the correct HEV position, SN# at seven and globe on the caseback.

Seems like there was a run of the 42mm PO's that these three items were way off as compared to Gen.

Q you are right in this, i totally forget it...
In the Omega area there are some QC pics of a PO that showing what Q is saying..

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I would feel totally comfortable wearing a UPO or 5GPO sans mods. They are pretty good as they are.

giobo

6/5/10
It is a good watch no doubt...
I am a little distressful though for my tube...
That thing dissapointed me..
I don't have time to fix it nowadays so i don't wear it........
But guys who are interested in it don't hesitate to go for !!!

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
Go to the Omega section on this board...>>>

You can go back 5 years, and still find TONS of "UPO" info...Except for the classic Rolex Sub, the UPO has wasted more bandwidth on the web than any other watch in history!!....
And they STILL haven't got it "right" yet!!...But...don't worry...Only you and maybe 50 real nerds who hang out here will ever know!!!...And we'll never tell!!!
Shoot...I still wear this $80.00 one from @ 5 years ago, with more "faults than than the San Andreas valley" and nobody cares or notices them:
IMG_5588.jpg

lockstock

Supporter
Certified
15/10/10
So regarding the difference in movements, is the Asian better or just is it not worth paying the extra for the Swiss? Are either movements replica movements of the gen or a completely different design? Bare with me I'm learning!! Thanks

lockstock

Supporter
Certified
15/10/10
Another thing, does it supposed to have the globe engraved on the back, I'm looking on Marvellous Replicas and the 42mm has the globe engraved but the 45.5mm doesn't seem to have it? Thanks