• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega Planet Ocean 42mm - my first review

TheLoveOfBotham

28/9/09
Well, here goes; my first review for RWI, so please go easy on me!

I'm going to review the first rep I bought when I joined this group; the Planet Ocean 42.5mm black bezel with white numerals, but before I do, I just wanted to say thanks to you all for your invaluable help, information and kindness in helping out a relative noob to the rep world, for making me feel welcome, and for helping me once again find satisfaction in a hobby I long ago thought I'd abandoned. I will, however, blame you all when I'm destitute!

There's not much I can say about this particular watch that hasn't been said by more knowledgeable and eloquent members before, but it's always useful to show others, particular the newer members, what is currently on offer for the price.

I bought my PO in October from Narikaa, while he was on one of his buying trips to Thailand. It cost 65GBP (approx. 105USD) with free air mail shipping, and took 10 days to arrive from payment. My first impression was that this was a pretty hefty watch, even though I went for the smaller model. I was also immediately struck by the obvious quality of this watch. I knew I was getting a relatively inexpensive piece, yet still I was very pleasantly surprised. OK, there are some giveaway flaws with this model (HEV position, dial logo, crown, case back engraving, date window bevel, bezel, pearl, the list goes on) that differentiate it from the gen, but really, for less than 5% of the cost of the real thing, I'm prepared to accept that.

PlanetOcean2.jpg

PlanetOceandial.jpg

PlanetOceanback.jpg

PlanetOceancrown.jpg

The engraving on the bracelet clasp is nice and deep, although a little rough compared with the gen. You would have to have a real good look to see this though. Now, I've only held the gen 45mm, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the 42mm should not have the word 'Professional' on the clasp. No matter, I like it anyway, and I'm not planning on fooling any AD's!

PlanetOceanclasp.jpg

The only real disappointment, and it's the same for most reps, expensive or otherwise, is the quality of the lume...

PlanetOceanlume.jpg

It lasts about 10 minutes if you're lucky, and is pretty weak anyway. The hands are much brighter than the markers, and the pearl is so weak as to be invisible after 30 seconds! Still, I consider this a future mod that I'll do myself; I'm already practicing on some old Canal Street reps I got years ago.

In terms of accuracy, it gains around 5 seconds per day at the moment, which doesn't really bother me, as I enjoy setting it each day anyway; it isn't at all noisy (like I've heard some 21j movements can be) and the power reserve is around 48 hours from full charge to dead.

So, there you go. I hope some may find this useful. The moral of the story is that if you want a 1:1 rep, buy the gen. If you want a good quality watch that tells the time, and looks enough like the real deal to make you happy to wear it, without worrying about a stranger on the street taking a loupe to your wrist, you can't go far wrong with this for £65.

Oh, and special thanks to Reg. He took all my pestering emails like a trooper!

z9opw3zj

9/10/09
Excellent review and dito pics. Nice read, too!

Wear it in good health!

(I've got exactly this same piece coming in from the Fakemaster ;))

mw1015

Renowned Member
26/1/09
hey great looking watch you got there mate!

thanks for the review :)

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Thanks for the great post! The PO is truly a great watch... Check out the raffle too, so your next post may be a rep vs gen comparison! ;)

cazIRL

Renowned Member
5/11/08
Just got the exact same watch in a trade and it feels ALOT more substansial and solid than the likes of a submariner or DJ, great watch.

roby69

Renowned Member
10/9/09
Nice pics and review I've the same one but 45mm from Reg and it runs great !

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Great watch and a great review!
I get all warm and fuzzy when I see members having a go at reviews. It's all part and parcel of puting something back into RWI. More should do it, we won't laugh, promise!

Col.

TheLoveOfBotham

28/9/09
Thanks for the kind comments guys; I now feel encouraged to do more.

As for giving you a 'warm and fuzzy feeling' Col, that makes me vaguely uncomfortable, but hey whatever gets you off! :err:

tangle

5/8/09
UK
good post, it's always good to see more UK based content. I've been buying from Precious time, it's good to hear about other experiences in the UK. I just bought a Omega Day Date so i will post pictures soon.

Tangle