• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega movement alternative questions (3,6,9 config)

moscar45

Horology Curious
25/2/07
I'm trying to do some research on older speedmasters, and I would like to know if anyone could help with a franken project question. I'm lookign for a movement to fit the 3-6-9 configuration on the speedmaster. Were the seconds at 6 on the gen? I'm trying to find out what movement I could slap in there instead of a Gen omega caliber 861. Is it a moniker for a generic valjoux movement, or could there be a company with something that could fit (the way Poljot copied the 7734). Thanks for any info.

amedman

27/7/06
There is no other movement that will fit the dial spacing of the 861 and a used 861 is not cheap.

I have owned 2 omega speedy reps, one with 7750 and the other with a hand wind lemania. I have since sold both due to dial spacing that i can not live with. Currently I have a franken speedy that i built using an Ebay Alpha speedy for the movement and case. I then got an Omega reduced face, hands and bracelet. In the end I have about $400 into the project and it looks good but it has no chrono functions. Next I may try to squeze a 7750 movement in it since the subdials of the 7750 fit the speedy reduced face.

If you get tired of the project let me know as i am always interested in picking up Omega speedy parts for projects of my own.

good luck

amedman

27/7/06
Maybe you could find a reduced speedy in that range but a full size (moon) speedy will sell for more