• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega guys: Is this even remotely accurate? SMP GMT

• Thread starter d4m.test
  • Start date
D

d4m.test

I picked this SMP GMT up really cheap to give to my brother. He is deploying to Afghanistan this week and wanted a cheap GMT to take with him.
The first thing I notices was that the crown guards came to a sharp point, where the gen ones are more flat and short. That was easy enough... an hour with sand paper and a polishing wheel and I think they are pretty close. Now only if the crown was even close to accurate.
The other thing I notice is that the 3 oclock marker is further away from the date window than it should be.
And the lume is typical rep lume....
HEV seems to be in the right place, fit and finish on the case and bracelet was outstanding for a $90 rep. I removed all the stickers from the movement as those appeared to be an accident waiting to happen. The bracelet is soaking in oil overnight, so its wearing a NATO tonight.
I dont know these watches at all... just looking for criticism and an education.

dscn3060.jpg

dscn3062.jpg

dscn3065.jpg

dscn3069w.jpg

dscn3070.jpg

dscn3072.jpg

jb

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
7/9/06
Not really. The pearl and the GMT hand look terrible.

I'll find you a picture.

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
I think he's gonna love it - what a great gift (and thank him for his service please - I have a couple friends still in Iraq).

I have not handled any gens of this model, but a couple quick observations:

Normally the He valve is North of the 11 o'clock a tad - not centered with it. Maybe it's the pics the valve looks centered on the 11. The GMT hand looks a little fat, the pearls a little large, and you already pegged the crown.

Nice mod on the CG's.

Any of those imperfections wouldn't make a difference to me. I like the watch, and I think he'll love it too.

jb

Advisor
7/9/06
Very poor crown and crown guard
Poor pearl, which is a dead giveaway
Wrong angle on tip of hour hand
Wrong He valve location
Very poor GMT hand
Date window outline is not square
large gap between 3 o'clock marker and the date window outline
Date font is incorrect and does not look crisp from the pics
etc...etc...etc...

bondgmt.jpg

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
What jb pointed out is correct GMT hand and pearl are too big, nothing major, I didn't know until I looked at the picture:

14f11f5d.jpg

All in all your brother wanted a cheap GMT that looks great and that Omega you got there fits the bill perfectly, he'll enjoy it. Godspeed to your brother!

:!: Dammit jb you beat me to it by mere seconds! lol

jb

Advisor
7/9/06
By the way, thank your brother for being the patriot that he is!

jb

Advisor
7/9/06
guanaco said:
:!: Dammit jb you beat me to it by mere seconds! lol

Joma shop is a great reference site!

D

d4m.test

Thanks guys... Hmmm, I guess this is what I get for entering unknown waters. I will tell him of all the flaws and see if he wants it or not.
Thank you for the info, I could not find any clear pics of this model and based my crown guard observation on a non GMT SMP.
I will pass on your well wishes for my bro.

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
I'm sure he will like it. If not, I'm sure someone here will buy it. You can PM me, and I'd consider it if you don't like it.

lan61t

Renowned Member
7/4/08
noob question here : why do you soak the bracelet in oil? and how do you clean it up after soaking it in oil?

D

d4m.test

lan61t said:
noob question here : why do you soak the bracelet in oil? and how do you clean it up after soaking it in oil?

There is no "noob" questions, only the ones you don't ask! I've been here 3+ years and I am still a noob at heart! :D

Soaking the bracelet in oil not only lubricates everything, but it helps remove stray bits of metal left over from the manufacturing process. A good few hours in WD-40 or whatever anyone else recommends will do it a world of good.

As for cleaning, I personally use an orange style degreaser dishwashing soap, like Palmolive, Ajax, etc., a soft toothbrush, and hot-as-you-can-stand-it water. Your bracelet will thank you for it!

And for the love of God...DO NOT PUT IN THE WATCH HEAD! I do speak from experience!

lan61t

Renowned Member
7/4/08
BigOffshoreDaddy said:
lan61t said:

There is no "noob" questions, only the ones you don't ask! I've been here 3+ years and I am still a noob at heart! :D

Soaking the bracelet in oil not only lubricates everything, but it helps remove stray bits of metal left over from the manufacturing process. A good few hours in WD-40 or whatever anyone else recommends will do it a world of good.

As for cleaning, I personally use an orange style degreaser dishwashing soap, like Palmolive, Ajax, etc., a soft toothbrush, and hot-as-you-can-stand-it water. Your bracelet will thank you for it!

And for the love of God...DO NOT PUT IN THE WATCH HEAD! I do speak from experience!

Thanks for the info, i'll definitely try it :)

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Love it. Everyone so obsessed about the macro stuff that they missed the one important thing. Great gift. I'm sure he'll love it.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
All-in-all, it's a nice $90 watch, CBR. Thank your brother for me as well.

Ian: I recommend you soak the bracelet over night in Baby Oil. It's very cheap, does a great job lubricating and cleaning, and is NOT harmful to your skin as it leaches out over time. You'll be amazed at how much better and more substantial your band will feel.
WD-40 is not skin and clothes friendly.
And DO NOT soak the watch head!!!

BTW - I originally got the Baby Oil tip from Fakey, and I swear by it.
Just my $0.02

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
It works I tell ya. Short ot taking down to the individual links it's the best way.