• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega "Electric Blue" Review.

Hyster

29/7/06
Omega SMP “Electric Blueâ€

Diagonalshot.jpg

I picked this up in the members market from Richard Lawton.
He mentioned to me he bought it from River about 5years ago.

I have little knowledge of these watches and would warmly welcome any feedback or information from more experienced members. Please feel free to chip in as long as you don’t mind me plagiarising it and passing it off as my own. :D

The dial is probably the most striking thing about this watch, Iridescence is the word that springs to mind. Even in dull light is a pretty shade of blue but when the light catches it, it almost lights up. Very eye catching.

Smp.jpg

The bezel is mirror polished with blue numerals and is a bugger to keep finger prints off, again though very pretty.

datefont.jpg

The pearl very slightly off centre and blown up in these pics seems to have a slight imperfection, looks perfect on the wrist thankfully

The big deal I suppose about the closed factory replicas is the helium valve or rather its position, to my eye it looks spot on. A few millimetres above the 10 position.

IMG_4383.jpg

The bracelet is the Speedmaster type consistent with this model, it is well made and has pins as opposed to screws.

Smp2.jpg

The clasp I would say is this reps main Achilles heel, It looks and operates fine apart from the text and omega symbol, these are etched and not engraved.

Clasp.jpg

The case is very nice and even has a serial at the seven lug position (bottom left lug) which surprised me .

Rearofwatchserial.jpg

The crown guard is a second flaw, for me it is the wrong shape, at first I thought the crown screwed in too far but further inspection leads me to think that reshaping the guard at its lowest point would remove this flaw. Done well I think this would look very close to genuine.

Daylightshot.jpg

The hand length is again very close to the genuine article, maybe a fraction out but almost impossible to call out without very close inspection.

handlength.jpg

Date font is ETA and seems to be as it should be.

Smpwrist.jpg

The fit and function of this watch good for a rep and the only thing I feel I might change at this point is the clasp.

The crystal has no AR that I can see, I believe the gen is coated on one side.

Smp.jpg

I nearly passed on this watch as I prefer the black version, I’m glad I went for it, it is truly a thing of beauty and would make an excellent dress watch. If I was handed this last week and asked if it was genuine I would only have spotted the crown guard and the clasp, if these had been remedied, I would have presumed it was genuine. I can’t believe that this was made 4-5 years ago and we can’t make a perfect SMP now <_<

Hyster

austin870

Known Member
15/5/07
You have a very nice one there from the old factory. The newer electric blues pale in comparrison.

daytona4me

Chinese Shrimp Rider
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
Wow Hyster.. very sharp!

You mind if I sticky this?

T@H

Horology Curious
8/10/07
Quality watch. I'm on the hunt for this watch 'old Version" man....I'd been looking all over for a Trade / FS post...beautiful Watch- wear it well!!!

T@H

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
wow awesome piece dood! i like this bracelet style better than the traditional SMP, too many flaws with the traditional one :p

maybe i should get an electric blue rep? i traded my SMP away.

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
crick...is your newlywed, hot wife in bed again.....ALONE...!!!
and you sneaked away....AGAIN !!

...to look at watches ? shame on you !!.....hehe

Alpha Dog Omega

Renowned Member
10/3/08
You said, "I have little knowledge of these watches and would warmly welcome any feedback or information"...

The only feedback I have is ... THAT should be on my wrist. You lucky :evil: . Wearin that must make you feel like [smilie=angel1.gif]

Of course, those things are known to only be appealing for a week or so, why don't you send it my way before it goes sour on ya! :lol:

esco

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/7/08
WOW, I never really cared for electric blue's until I saw this review. Nice watch! 8)

TA8088

SCAMMER
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
INMATE
28/10/07
This is my absolute favorite Omega. I've been searching for one of these for more than a year now and have never gotten lucky enough to grab one of the very few that have ever turned up for sale. About two months ago I came very close to buying the gen.

smc

Known Member
24/9/08
I would love to buy one as well - this is now my favorite watch (damn you Hyster that was a great review LOL). I'm tempted on the gen due to the rarity of this one but I'm going to really look around for the best price.

If anyone has seen the gen new for less than 1350 please let me know.

morlock

Looking Around
18/9/08
Hi, I found in Trusty Time a 21J version, I am not an expert but it looks very close to the one pictured on this post.

Here is the url, so could judge be your self and comment about it.
http://NoMoreJAndrews.XXX(mod edit)

smc

Known Member
24/9/08
Had to drag this up again to show you what you did. No other watch has made me want to go out and get the gen. I somehow managed to justify one that was previously enjoyed for the right price...

Now i'm looking at the black one to keep it company lol.

DSCN1516.jpg

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
Almost bought a quartz one last week.

This is a "must" for me On my bucket list. not a grail watch but a "must"

KinCaidk

Known Member
13/12/08
This is a beautiful watch. I am hoping to get one, someday :)
I just got my SMP and I am loving it. Next up, maybe an electric blue.