• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega announces the first truly anti-magnetic watch movement

ahboy

Renowned Member
14/4/12
OMEGA has announced the creation of a watch that is resistant to magnetic fields greater than 1.5 tesla (15,000 gauss), far exceeding the levels of magnetic resistance achieved by any previous watch and solving a problem that has challenged watchmakers for centuries.

Source: Omega Facebook page

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
It that 2nds hand dotted? Looks nice but as said above it is a milgauss clone in an AT body.
Ridiculous when they have a huge railmaster history with a distinct design, almost as old as the original milgauss or IWC ingenieur..... why not do it with the railmaster design style.

Sometimes omegas decisions/design dept get things very skewed. Why not use the case and snazzy movement as above and keep the dial similar in style to the old design. Use sword hands and numberals and much bigger more prominent lumed markers.

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2010/8...omegas-trilogy-of-tool-watches-the-railm.html

1000w

ahboy

Renowned Member
14/4/12
Yes, if I'm not wrong. But the second hand look somewhat ridiculous.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
I dont know what exactly i don't like, maybe the whole design doesn't remind me omega...

The seconds hands is a fail imho.

Billio

I'm Pretty Popular
15/4/09
Dont like the look of it to be honest, doesnt seem like a whole lot of time has been spent on the design

ahboy

Renowned Member
14/4/12
Precisely! Anw, based on omega has stated that : "The technlogy developed by the team led to the first prototype of the movement, which has been fitted in an OMEGA Seamaster Aqua Terra. Unlike other efforts to combat the effects of magnetism, the OMEGA movement does not rely on a protective container inside the watchcase but on the use of selected non-ferrous materials in the movement itself. Several patents are pending for the new movement."

I assume it would be a clear case back and not the kind where we see in rolex milgauss and the planet ocean 2500c series. And the balance wheel would be silicon since silicon is anti magnetic. It would be a challenge for noob to rep this movement , the co axial 8500 and 9300.

ahboy

Renowned Member
14/4/12
But I don't think this is popular and it may not be rep and even if they rep, it would be equipped with a 21j. Since the rep manufacturer have in mind of this supply and demand rule and I don't think this would be a large demand.

Ballface

20/6/12
That bee pattern on the seconds hand is really interesting. I haven't seen anything like it on any other watch so props to Omega for trying out something new. Its style is too modern to be put on the traditional AT dial though so there's a somewhat violent clash of aesthetics.

If a rep comes out I'll probably end up getting it, it's a solid piece of history just like the moonwatch. While there's no good reps of the Speedy out there I'm sure they'll get it right with this one, and hell, maybe it'll be the first proper Aqua Terra rep as well. Which is a shame in its own way. We'll see.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Yep interesting from a rep perspective in that it has a solid caseback, good news for us, would rather they concentrate on getting a basic AT out but if they are sticklers for 1:1 copies then this would be the one.

I agree on the design mix being all over the place, the teak aquatic decking style dial of the seamaster AT mixed with the bumblebee seconds hand, it's definitely trying something new, maybe they've spend so much on the movement/antimagnetic stuff they cut corners on the dial/face.

lc125

Known Member
18/1/11
I don't know what to think about this watch :confused:

I'm loving omega but why are they copying rolex with an anti magnetic watch :confused:

Omega has made name for itself so no need to copy another brand..

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e with Tapatalk

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Sorry Omega...... but......it looks awful. Why have that seconds hand on a dress watch? It's as bad as as adding a glss of champagne to a taco dinner.