• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Omega 45 PO Build

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
Hi All,

Just thought I'd share with you a recent build I've completed for SSouthall's 45 mm PO. Its a mega build with no expense spared, heres the spec:-

Donor case, Tony V5 case
Sunnydale Xtal with gen gasket (This case will now take gen Xtal if necessary)
Gen dial and hands
Gen Bezel and insert
Custom bezel adaptor ring
Gen case tube, crown and He valve
Gen case back
Gen antimagnetic cover
And last but not least, gen Omega 2500B movement.

Finished watch pic
POfin_zpsca390d68.jpg

As you all know the gen Xtal gasket does not fit in the rep case, the case diameter is too small. So by boring the case out you can get the gen gasket to fit nicely.

The only problem with this is it leaves the remaining wall thickness of the case very thin where the xtal and gasket fit. So this may be a problem as the remaining wall may spread slightly and not produce a water tight seal between the case, gasket and xtal.

So we jump a step here and look at the gen bezel assembly. The gen bezel assembly does not fit the rep case as we can see from the next pic, the gen has a bigger inside diameter than the rep.

Gen left, rep right
P1000347_zpsd1f60278.jpg

There have been some really good efforts to overcome this major issue, and a quick fix is available by re-shaping the retaining spring. However this does not help me with the thin wall of the case after boring out for the gen Xtal gasket.

To get over both issues I decided to make a custom adaptor ring that fits over the existing case and accommodates the larger bezel assembly and also strengthens the case wall where the xtal fits.

Here is a pic of the adaptor ring prior to pressing onto the case, you may be able to notice the groove I have machined in the adaptor ring which will accept the bezel retaining spring.
P1000346_zps5f6c1a14.jpg

Here is a pic from the rear of the bezel assembly showing the adaptor ring in place within the bezel assembly.
P1000348_zps75c53731.jpg

You will notice that it sits proud of the adaptor ring at the back as it sits in the recess of the case.
If anyone wants to copy this ring here is a drawing of the sizes.
45poring_zpsea11e303.jpg

The adaptor ring should be a press fit onto the case, don't forget this is for a Tony V5 case, I cant promise it will fit all 45 PO cases. Next up is a pic of the adaptor ring pressed onto the case with the xtal and gasket.
P1000351_zpsa07b38a1.jpg

Both the He and crown tubes were drilled plugged and tapped so as to keep WR integrity

The case back proved a bit of a problem also, the gen case back is thicker material and when screwed down it hits the antimagnetic cover. So I had no other option than to machine the movement ring down slightly so the antimagnetic cover would sit lower within the case. Its a fine line between getting it lower and it not hitting the oscillating rotor on the movement. Pic of the movement ring being machined down.
turn_zpsb41c3f87.jpg

And the antimagnetic cover fitted to the movement ring ready to be assembled
magsheild_zpsabe11995.jpg

Movement ready to fit dial and hands
2500b_zpsbf2b30aa.jpg

Dial and hands on
dial_zps06d81217.jpg

Gen case back fitted
caseback_zps33b938b5.jpg

Finished lume shot
lumejpg_zps27ecd872.jpg

Eye Candy
P1000389_zps92e74049.jpg

P1000388_zpsc4258da0.jpg

POfin_zpsca390d68.jpg

Hope this is of interest to you all, this has been an evolution and parts have been sourced over a period of months. All credits are to go to Shaun, without his determination and input this build would not have taken place, it really is a killer build!

Donor case, Tony special V5
Sunnydale Xtal and gen gasket
Gen dial and hands
Custom Bezel adapter ring
Gen bezel and insert
Gen crown tube and He valve
Gen Omega 2500Bmovement
Gen case back
Gen antimagnetic cover

Reactions: necro123

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
I will review properly in due course but the credit is all with the modder here, as you can see incredible lengths gone to and also great initiative used as I am pretty sure there are no other examples of a watch being modified in this exact way to ensure all the parts fit.

I was offered a gen two tone Pepsi in exchange on Thursday but I would never sell this, it's one of a kind and once again, hats off to Adrian who is my go-to as soon as a watch arrives - he's changed crystal, fixed, modded, wp and regulated most of my collection now -highly recommended!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaw6125

Renowned Member
14/6/12
Another great build from Adrian. He is fighting Santre22 for the title of PO king.

Some great mods here. It beats my PO franken with the gen caseback, but mine has the 2500C movement thanks to Adrian. :)

Congrats and wear it well.

ssouthall6

10/10/13
Do you recognise the bezel Mr Pap? It's the one you sold me!

Matt_S

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/9/12
The bezel adaptor ring, does the bezel click still function correctly? Could you machine some more and sell them?

Thanks

Matt

ssouthall6

10/10/13
Bezel clicks perfectly, no different to the gen