• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Olworthers' SuperFranken UPO - Tolis' Revenge!

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
Olworthers' SuperFranken UPO - Tolis' Revenge!

OK, so I first got into reps about 18 months ago and bought my first decent rep, a DSSD from an RWI member in Australia which was a great transaction and a beautiful watch. My next deal was not quite so successful….. I bought a UPO from an RWI member called Tolis. Anyone who remembers him will know why it wasn't such a great deal. I eventually got my hands on the watch, but not after a LOT of hassle. I learned a few valuable lessons from the whole thing. Make sure you do some reading up on who you are buying from, and always ask questions if there's anything you're not sure about. Oh, and if something doesn't seem to be quite right about a deal, it very probably isn't!

Anyway….. once the whole thing was over and I had the watch in my possession, I started reading up and frankens and hit upon the idea of building a UPO superfranken for a family member who had a significant birthday looming.

I've decided to post the build mainly to inspire anyone who wants to have a go at a Franken, as the results are extremely rewarding! I have already posted some of this build previously, but I wanted to collate all the information in this one 'super thread'!

OK, so here is the original watch (although this photo was taken when the original owner had it brand new, it wasn't quite in as good a shape when I got it)!

tolisupo.jpg

And the Franken plan was as follows:
Gen Crown and Tube
Gen Crystal
Gen Datewheel
Gen Dial
Gen Hands
New Insert
Gen Caseback

And if you want to do have a go yourself, this is the FANTASTIC thread that gives you all the info you need for parts etc: http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/r2d4s-45-5-23705

Next up, tools. You will need some basic watchmaking tools and supplies to do a build like this, here's a selection of what I used:

- Jewellery cleaning bath (ultasonic cleaner)
- Glass Pressing Tool
- Latex Gloves
- Needle Pliers
- Marine epoxy (I use JB WELD - readily available on eBay)
- Cocktail sticks (toothpicks)
- Pin or needle
- Tweezers
- Watchmakers screwdrivers
- Rodico
- Dust blower
- Caseback tool
- Waterproof Pressure Tester

OK, I think that is just about it, there will probably be other tools mentioned along the way, so apologies if the list is not complete. So, onto the build. I should point out at this stage I haven't got a photograph of absolutely every stage of the build, one, because some things (e.g. removing a crown stem) are fairly intricate activities which require a tutorial all by them themselves and are covered elsewhere in RWI. In a few places I will include some links to other tutorials where appropriate - thank you to all other RWI members who post tutorials - I know how much work goes into them, and how invaluable they are in this hobby! And two - I forgot to photograph everything as I went along and it only occurred to me to write all this after I had finished the watch!

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
Installing Crown Tube

Parts:
42184ST Omega 069ST42184 - Crown 9 x Ø6.10, Depth 4.50 Stainless Steel Waterproof
X12870 Omega 090ST1232 - Case Tube

And here are the two parts in the packaging:
imageqmo.jpg

Firstly I stripped the watch down to just the case. Here I've inserted a screwdriver to try and lever out the tube.
imagerjqv.jpg

I was sold this as a V4 UPO, it has the crown tube pressed and not screwed in. This made it easier to remove then I realised. I used a pair of needle pliers and merely 'pulled' the tube straight out. Very simple.

So, here is the crown tube removed, crushed a bit out of shape due to the pliers. And here it is next to the gen tube. Incidentally, for info - the gen tube comes with a small washer which I didn't use.
imagehbo.jpg

Ok, so I tested the gen tube and fitted it into the hole left by the rep tube (fitting the end of the gen tube with the external thread). It's not exactly a snug fit, there is a bit of play, but this will easily be taken up by the epoxy. Which brings us to the next step. The epoxy is mixed 1-1, and you only need a small amount for this job. This is where the cocktail sticks come in handy, I used one here as a mixing stick. Once the epoxy is mixed it is applied to the threaded end of the gen tube. I use a cocktail stick to hold the tube (it fits on the end of one perfectly) and another stick to appy the epoxy. As there is a slight gap to fill, a decent amount is applied, excess can be removed once it's fitted.
imagecyvf.jpg

imagecyvf.jpg

And now it's simply a case of pressing the tube into the case. Again, by having the tube on a cocktail stick, it's easy to press it into place. The epoxy is fairly 'tacky' so it holds it in place, seated correctly, without any issues. Just to secure it in place I used a clothes peg as a clamp, but I don't think it needs it.

Now, wait 24 hours to let the epoxy cure, and then the crown can be test fitted. As you can see it screws down perfectly to the case:
imageqwk.jpg

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
Gen Crystal

Parts used: X20079 Omega 062SB3063 - Sapphire Glass
I also purchased a gen gasket, but as you'll see, that didn't quite work out...

Here are the parts as they arrived:

imageheb.jpg

The rep crystal easily pushed out by hand. I also removed the rep gasket, then placed the case in my ultrasonic cleaner:

imagebte.jpg

This was to clean up the case whilst it was stripped of all other parts, and ensure that the case was clean of any dust or dirt that would be in the recess where the gasket fits which would lead to a potential leak. I am intending the completed watch to be sufficiently water resistant for swimming.

So, now the case is clean and ready to go:

imageeqy.jpg

From now on, I will be wearing the latex gloves to prevent any dirt, dust or fingerprints getting on the gasket of crystal. Firstly the gasket was installed in place (the white rep gasket is also shown):

imageajw.jpg

And here it is fully installed, a very good fit as well:
imagestv.jpg

Now the crystal is positioned in the gasket:

imagellat.jpg

Making sure it is corrected seated, and not at an angle - ready to be pressed in:

imageiwc.jpg

Now, placing the case in the press, and using the correct size fittings, it can be pressed in:

imageiloi.jpg

And here I encountered a problem.

The crystal would not fit. I tried to press it in with all my strength, assuming it would be a tight fit. Nothing happening. Assuming that it was a very close thing, I decided to heat up the case in the hope it would expand sufficiently to allow the crystal to fit. It didn't!

OK, so what's going on? The gasket fits in the case. But the crystal will not fit into the gasket. So the case must be a fraction too small. A quick search on RWI revealed that I wasn't the only one to encounter this problem. I read several suggestions that the gasket could be 'thinned out', but I was concerned that any method that I used to do this would result in the gasket having an uneven thickness which would not leave the watch water resistant.

I had slightly damaged the rep gasket when removing the rep crystal, so decided against using that, and instead, measured the crystal and case using vernier calipers. Then I purchased two potential gaskets from CousinsUK, an example is shown here:

imagetho.jpg

They didn't work either!

So, I resorted back to the slightly damaged rep gasket. When I checked it again, it only had a 'kink' in it, which I thought might be corrected once pressed into place. So repeating the above steps, I pressed the gen crystal in using the rep gasket:

imagekabg.jpg

So, no need to buy the gen gasket, but make sure that you look after the rep gasket when pressing out the rep crystal.

santre22

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/12
Very nice! I will soon start my third Omega franken project. This time a orange PO 42.

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
Dial, Hands and Datewheel

Here are the part numbers:
ETA280225571WB3 ETA date wheel - white on black 3h
X21168 Omega HAN-4221 (065WZ4312) - Steel With Luminous Infill Hour & Minute Hand
X21169 Omega HAN-4222 (066WZ4313) - Steel With Red Tip and Luminous Infill Centre Seconds Hand
X20376 Omega OME-2500-Dial#4 (064WK31700011) - Black Dial, Orange Numbers

Firstly the existing hands, dial and date wheel need to be removed. Here's a useful tutorial that I used: http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/...eta-2836-54711?t=54711&highlight=remove+hands in conduction with this: http://www.infixta.com/fortis_flieger_replace_movement.php

The watch is fitted with a swiss ETA 2824 movement, which accepts the gen date wheel. Fantastic tutorial here which is really helpful: http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/...ghlight=Video+Tutorial+Datewheel+removal+2824

OK, so the datewheel is swapped, next up, the gen dial. These really are a work of art, the text is raised and beautifully defined. This and the crystal really make all the difference with the Planet Ocean rep.

From the rep I kept the dial spacer which I fitted to the back of the dial:
dialspacer.png

Then locate this onto the movement:
gendial.png

For an in-depth tutorial try looking at "Step 5: Separating the Movement from the Dial" in the article referenced above: http://www.infixta.com/fortis_flieger_replace_movement.php

Hands go on next, here they are in the packaging:
genhands.png

Firstly the hour hand is fitted, I use rodico to lift the hand into position and then press it into place using a manual hand pressing tool.

Its also possible to improvise this tool using the insert from a biro pen, as I did in a previous tutorial. Here are a couple of photos that I hope will help:
imagefsd.jpg

Remove the actual writing insert. It is made from a soft nylon material that won't damage the hands:
imagejxk.jpg

With the hand lined-up, use the pen insert to press it firmly into place (hour hand is already done, photo shows the minute hand):
imagefgt.jpg

Ok, so back to the Omega! Now the hour hand is in place:
hourhandfitted.png

Then the minute hand:
minutehandfitted.png

And finally the seconds hand, and all the internals are ready for fitting to the case:
secondhandfitted.png

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
Re-fitting the movement to the case

OK, so now the movement it placed back in the case and clamped into place using the case clamp screws (shown in red):
movementfitted.png

Then the stem and crown can be refitted. I used a brand new clarks stem (20mm long) purchased on ebay. I used loctite to secure it in place.
crownandstem.jpg

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
Bezel Insert

Next up, I replaced the bezel insert from the black (and badly scuffed) rep insert for a replacement from WSO on ebay. The pearl is not very gen-like as you can see:
pearl1.png

In fact, the original rep pearl was much better, shown here on the left:
pearl2k.png

I swapped the pearls by pressing out the old pearl. Then I very slightly opened up the hole using a jewellers file, until the replacement pearl had a nice snug fit requiring just a small amount of pressure to locate it. I used GS hypo cement to glue it in from the back:

img5659r.jpg

You can see that I have had to file down some material from the back of the insert in order to get it to seat properly into the bezel ring. It looks a mess. but it will be fine once fitted.

Here is the insert and the watch ready for fitting:
bezelinsert2.jpg

And here it is fitted:
insertfitted.jpg

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
Caseback

Next up, a gen caseback. Yes its expensive, yes its not noticed when on the wrist, but I wanted it engraved with the name of the new owner and it felt only right for it to be gen!

Omega Part number 112ST1703

Inside engraving:
casebackinside.jpg

And here it is ready to be fitted:
caseback.jpg

I applied silicone grease to the rep case back gasket before fitted the caseback to complete the watch!

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
Completed

And that's it! So some completed shots:

complete1z.jpg

complete2d.jpg

complete3.jpg

complete4.jpg

complete5.jpg

complete6.jpg

I also added a mesh strap with a gen style buckle:

complete7.jpg

complete8.jpg

But it didn't quite stop there. To complete the project I wanted a presentation box. I decided to make one myself, using chopping boards purchased in a sale at a local supermarket, with brass fittings and lined with red felt:
box1f.png

Using some of the build photos I created a small photo book to detail the build:
box2a.png

Also I added a Hirsch orange leather strap and a black rubber strap with orange stitching and a rep clasp into the presentation box:
box3o.png

box4i.png

olworthers

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/07
The End

PHEW! And that's it :) Big big thanks to RWI and all the members who post tutorials and the data/info to help us 'have a go'. And my apologies that's in not complete with every step of the process and photos etc. If anyone spots any mistakes etc, PM me and I will fix!

Now, go and have a go yourself!

-OW

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Excellent, great build and great skills!

It's fantastic to see the energy in this comminuty! :D

livefree

Renowned Member
28/11/12
Wow!!! that's great work! wish I could do that. you have a talent my friend. wish my Seamaster could have a make-over too:cheers:

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
WOW!!!!

Great ! Love that box!!!

Well done mate!

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Brilliant Olworthers, what a fantastic writeup, an absolutely superb gift for somebody. The presentation box is an inspired idea. Thanks for taking the time to put this tutorial together.

pretender

Renowned Member
3/12/12
Australia
Bravo Bravo! great write up & pics, looks fantastic!! well done and congrats, inspiring me to do something similar!

flyr

Renowned Member
15/9/12
Awesome! Definitely going to find some cheap victims to experiment on before I go at my P.O. Daunting but looks worthwhile!

danq85

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
31/10/12
Fantastic work man, especially the box, that just tops it all off nicely.