• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Old SMP versus New SMP? Can someone list the differences?

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
I have been digging through threads for over a week now (some back to 2003!) looking for information on the "old factory" SMP. I have only been able to find bits and pieces of passing references of what is actually different between it and the modern. If anyone has seen my wanted post, it is the first (and only for awhile) nice ETA watch I am looking to purchase.

I understand about the pins versus screws on the bracelet, is there anything else about the bracelet that is different?

I read remarks about the case being different, but no one mentioned specifics.

Can someone please list out all of the difference that they know of?

Thanks very much for your time, I'm looking forward to being enlightened!

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
This is what r11co commented in the RWG.cc. I don't know if this applies to ALL new SMP reps though (I think I've seen some new ones that DON'T have these problems) :

Insert r11co's comments----------------------------------------------->

Latest batches of these watches also have an incorrect pearl design (which looks to all intents and purposes like surplus from the Rolex Submariner reps). The 'new' pearl is oversized and therefor precludes doing Veloci's conversion as the hole in the bezel insert will be too large to accomodate the modified pearl.

Secondly, the dial printing has deteriorated - the '300m/1000ft" print is now oversized, and the "Chronometer" print incorrectly uses the font for the black faced models.

Finally, the clasp (probably one of the most authentic features of the older generation replica) now has laser etched rather than machine engraved markings.

<--------------------------------------------------------------------------Outsert

The bracelet quality on my new SMP chrono is just as good as my old standard "Bond" SMP. The only difference is the screws. Can't comment the new non-chrono SMP reps though.

Roeod4

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/3/06
Re: Old SMP versus New SMP? Can someone list the differences

chief3630 said:
I read remarks about the case being different, but no one mentioned specifics.

You may have been reading comments about the older SMP that actually had the correct helium valve placement. The older models had the He valve at just above the 10 o'clock marker (which is correct) instead of dead even with the 10 o'clock marker like they are now.

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
Academic?

Unless one has source for 'old'..

(Which may be the case...)

Life is Good!

SMP Chrono the hot ticky now...

:D :D