• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Odd problem with movement Asia ETA 2836-2 Automatic

Cobalko

Do not accept unsolicited offers
24/4/24
Hi!
So i recently got my first watch Day-Date GMF 36mm from Trusty. The watch itself looks great when i look at it although weight is abit light but i dont care that much.
When i got the watch i was kind of paranoid doing some damage to the movement winding it and setting the time and date in the wrong way, so i messaged Trusty about instructions.

Very well, he provided me some instructions and i proceeded to wind it and set the time &date .

I then wore the watch for about a week but during that week i sometimes found the watch not moving at all unless i shaked my hand really intensely ( i have a shitter aswell with a 2813 movement that doesn't have be shaken this hard for it to move) and then it started run again.... for about 2 minutes then it stops again.

I gave it another week and have had to wind & set date & time several times in a day. But nothing helps... I have also checked if the hands collide with eachother or with the glass but doesn't seem like it.

I also have tried to listen if something is loose inside it i dont hear anything that would sound ''broken''.. but then again i dont know a whole lot about watch movements because im a complete noob.
I have never opened a watch either nor don't i have the tools for that either ( wich possibly can be arranged if needed to if i know what tools to look out for).

I'm unsure what to do right now without proper guidance, i don't want to take my own initiative and POSSIBLY damage it completely.

Anybody more competent than i care to give suggestions for me what to do?
And sorry for my bad english, not my first language.
Link of video where it stops.. It actually took about two minutes for it to stop but video limit was 60 seconds :https://imgur.com/a/2wROxsx

Reaps

There is no such thing as a 1:1 Replica!
25/9/22
Take it to a watch maker. Stop violently shaking it. Worse comes to worse you can replace the movement which costs 100 bucks max.

Kerbus

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
FL
Welcome

sounds like the watch needs servicing right out of the box, I once had a DD 2836 serviced and it works very well to this day. Contact Trusty about if he knows of local watchsmiths and about any reimbursement on the repair of this new watch. I would expect him to do something for you

if worse comes to worse, the nice thing about 2836s is that they can be replaced. I think I saw a nice,real Swiss one on Amazon but Asian ones can be found on sites like Ali Express.

By the way, how does the color of your GMF watch compare to real 18k gold? I’ve thought about eventually upgrading mine but I need one with the best color

your English read fine to me. I’ve seen a lot worse

Reactions: Cobalko

Cobalko

24/4/24
Take it to a watch maker. Stop violently shaking it. Worse comes to worse you can replace the movement which costs 100 bucks max.
Ah.. ok. Thing is, i doubt there's watchmaker's in my area that takes on reps. So shaking it at all will damage the movement or?

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
🇩🇪
Ah.. ok. Thing is, i doubt there's watchmaker's in my area that takes on reps. So shaking it at all will damage the movement or?
Don't shake your watch, the most important part of a movement, namely balance, doesn't take shaking very well especially since this is a rep movement, not the gen Rolex movement which has a far better shockproof system.

Reactions: Cobalko

Cobalko

24/4/24
Welcome

sounds like the watch needs servicing right out of the box, I once had a DD 2836 serviced and it works very well to this day. Contact Trusty about if he knows of local watchsmiths and about any reimbursement on the repair of this new watch. I would expect him to do something for you

if worse comes to worse, the nice thing about 2836s is that they can be replaced. I think I saw a nice,real Swiss one on Amazon but Asian ones can be found on sites like Ali Express.

By the way, how does the color of your GMF watch compare to real 18k gold? I’ve thought about eventually upgrading mine but I need one with the best color

your English read fine to me. I’ve seen a lot worse
I see.. I assumed these watches came serviced out of the box given the fact that one has to pay a decent amount. But i guess you are right.
He wanted me to send it back and warned me that they are not liable of any risks at the custom on return packages.
So i became doubtful of sending it back in risk of it getting confiscated/lost and then i have just thrown a hefty amount of $ for nothing.

So i told him about of local watchsmiths and about any reimbursement on the repair as you said.

He replied that he doesn't know any watchguy in sweden where i live, but he does have one in Spain called Hosam and he also told me that he will cover for the service.

That's a great suggestion no?

Anyways i emailed the guy now im just waiting for an reply.
I had some time to spend so i tried too look for a replacement movement on amazon but i really did not know what to look for, some looked different meaning some had some japanese letters on the day-wheel mixed with english date. Idk.. Might just be my own incompetence.
If you would provide an link that would be much appreciated.
Would be a great backup plan if things doesn't go as intended with the watchguy in Spain.

About the watch color.. i assume you mean if the case and bracelet has the same color as a gen one? Well im unsure about that because i don't have one to compare with.
But whenever i wear it lots of people look at it because it stands out alot. It's very shiny and light in color, i think if its not exactly as the 18k gen color then it's VERY CLOSE.
Many would not even be able to tell otherwise because i doubt many have seen a gen irl i feel atleast in my area. The dial color im also unsure of, but it looks great. Im kind of glad i chose this watch excluding the fact that the movement if acting up

:)

Cobalko

24/4/24
Don't shake your watch, the most important part of a movement, namely balance, doesn't take shaking very well especially since this is a rep movement, not the gen Rolex movement which has a far better shockproof system.
Ok so no shaking. I did not know that tbh. I should have joined this forum before i saw my watch stop constantly and i had to shake my wrist more intensly in order for it to run 2 minutes. But thanks for the tip

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
🇩🇪
Ok so no shaking. I did not know that tbh. I should have joined this forum before i saw my watch stop constantly and i had to shake my wrist more intensly in order for it to run 2 minutes. But thanks for the tip
Did you ever wind your watch by turning the crown since you received it?

Cobalko

24/4/24
Did you ever wind your watch by turning the crown since you received it?
Yes, i did. As a matter of fact i winded it earlier today aswell. But it was useless. It didn't take long for it to stop. Also while wearing it, it doesn't seem to make it run when i for example walk/ jog. I have to do a couple of swift shakes for it to start running but it only lasts just for a moment.

MaximillianGT

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
5/6/23
🇩🇪
Yes, i did. As a matter of fact i winded it earlier today aswell. But it was useless. It didn't take long for it to stop. Also while wearing it, it doesn't seem to make it run when i for example walk/ jog. I have to do a couple of swift shakes for it to start running but it only lasts just for a moment.
Sounds like a barrel and/or barrel arbor problem to me. Anyway, try not to shake it as you don't really know what's wrong inside.