• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Newbie watch questions

rmnlchh

Do not accept unsolicited offers
8/2/23
Europe
Hey guys, pretty sure that has been asked many times but i cant seem to find those, so i’ll post those here.

Long story short im completely new to watch world and i was wondering:

What are best ways to clean your watch,
Clean steel/gold strap,
What tools are good for adding/subbing the links
Is there a tool for easier strap changing? I own tissot prx and my nails are coming off when i change the strap sometimes ;)

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
There are quite a few different solutions people use. One of the key things is to use the correct polishing cloth to avoid scratching up your watch. You'd be surprised what a little soap and water will do. Make sure your crown is fully engaged.

John

Watchful
Certified
10/1/17
Clean steel/gold strap,
Using warm water and dish soap works well for every day cleaning. For anything deeper, the standard is to use an ultrasonic cleaner.

Is there a tool for easier strap changing?
You'll need to research which screwdriver sizes are best for your specific watch. You can also read this for a list of recommended tools:

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Hey guys, pretty sure that has been asked many times but i cant seem to find those, so i’ll post those here.

Long story short im completely new to watch world and i was wondering:

Clean steel/gold strap,
Is there a tool for easier strap changing? I own tissot prx and my nails are coming off when i change the strap sometimes ;)
I use Wrist Clean on all my watches. You can get it on Amazon or directly from the company.

eBoy

⚜️ RWI NMA Chief Bracelet Link Remover ⛓️‍💥🔗🪛🔧
Section Moderator
Certified
2/4/21
A place of darkness and light a.k.a. EU
@rmnlchh

eboy-ralph.gif

Hello and welcome to RWI! I see that you are a new member. You found the right place!

I would like to invite you to introduce yourself in the "New Members Say Hi" subsection next door. As to your question: You have already received a few replies, but it may get more exposure in the Tech section. You could repost it or @Feefo and I could move this thread to there. Just let us know...

Also: If you haven't already, please take some time to read the sticky threads in the new members area (in all subsections), as they contain lots of information for newcomers and, most importantly, our forum rules which you need to know, and of course ideally to follow, to get the best out of your experience on RWI!

A good starting point is this list of links to the most important RWI resources:

If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact me or @Feefo during your time as a newbie. That's what we are here for!

mac427

Getting To Know The Place
26/1/23
texas
I have a Clean replica Pepsi. I can't be sure it is water proofed as I bought it second hand from a Forum member. Is it safe to use a little soap and water to to clean it? Of course, I won't immerse it, but I'm thinking of using a spray bottle with distilled water. Thank you for your thoughts.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
I have a Clean replica Pepsi. I can't be sure it is water proofed as I bought it second hand from a Forum member. Is it safe to use a little soap and water to to clean it? Of course, I won't immerse it, but I'm thinking of using a spray bottle with distilled water. Thank you for your thoughts.
I've had hit and miss with clean factory. The Daytonas leak like crazy. I have worked on 3 and all 3 I had to repress the crystal with a better gasket and also the tube needed sealing with loctite. Then it was sealed. My Clean hulk was fine to 6 bar. I haven't had a clean GMT so can't comment. Best bet would be sending it to a SV here and have it served and water sealed.

Reactions: mac427

mac427

Getting To Know The Place
26/1/23
texas
I've had hit and miss with clean factory. The Daytonas leak like crazy. I have worked on 3 and all 3 I had to repress the crystal with a better gasket and also the tube needed sealing with loctite. Then it was sealed. My Clean hulk was fine to 6 bar. I haven't had a clean GMT so can't comment. Best bet would be sending it to a SV here and have it served and water sealed.

Thank you for this excellent information. I really appreciate it. I'm going to try and get it pressure tested locally as a first step.

rep44ma

Do not accept unsolicited offers
11/5/22
Using warm water and dish soap works well for every day cleaning. For anything deeper, the standard is to use an ultrasonic cleaner.
Just want to mention that you should put bracelets or empty cases in an ultrasonic cleaner, even if the watch is waterproof.