• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Newbie - repair advice

DOE1345

Looking Around
4/5/06
I recently purchased a rep Daytona, from a well known (and normally very efficient) seller. I won't name names as I've had no problems in the past, having purchased a number of other items. However this particular modified Daytona, whilst a lovely looking watch was effectively DOA. It keeps stopping. Despite numerous e-mails to the seller, I've had no response and now I'm stuck with a watch that's effectively useless.

What advice can you give, I'm a relative newcomer. Is there a way to have the watch repaired? Is it worth getting it repaired? I mean if the movement is so delicate / stressed is it likely to breakdown again.

Appreciate your thoughts.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
I assume you have a Daytona rep with Asian 7750 with close subdial spacing and running second at 6 o'clock. This movement is generally better than the first version Asian7750. However you may be unlucky to encounter such problems. I would suggest you try to work it out with your dealer. Usually you can PM and/or Email a dealer. Patience is the key and keep your cool.

Category 5

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/4/06
You should also consider sending the watch to one of the board gurus for a service once you do get it straigtened out. The 7750 ships without oil, and sometimes the assembly is shoddy. If you want a smooth ticking, and reliable watch you really need to have the 7750 run through by a competent service man before you rely on it.

Roeod4

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/3/06
If the dealer can't or won't help you then it is time to contact one of the watchsmiths.

Since this is a modified movement, I would not trust it to a regular watchsmith, but stick with one of the forum smiths. I would only trust Ziggy or Joe to work on it (sorry if there is someone else out there, I don't know about you). Since Joe is kinda out of it right now, due to illness, I would contact Ziggy.

He can usually be found on RWG2. Ziggy knows this movement in and out and should be able to get you set. Just let him know what you have and what the problems are and he will let you know what, where, when and why.

swiss728

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/3/06
Since you don't come right out and say it, I'll ask: where is the running secs subdial? 9 or 6 o'clock? Makes a difference to give you a correct answer. Everyone who has responded is assuming you have a runnings secs at 6 but it's not something you specifically stated and it is important to be clear about.

DOE1345

Looking Around
4/5/06
Thanks to all of you that responded to my post. You're right, I should have mentioned that it's a Asia movement with seconds at 6. Having at no response from the seller (but I'll keep trying) It looks as though my best option is to have it repaired and serviced as you suggest. I'll try to contact Ziggy (RWG2??) but I'm still trying to navigate my way around having only just joined. As I said in my original post, it's a fantastic rep except for the fact it doesn't tell the time :) Thanks again all of you for the advice. Much appreciated.