• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New...well - noob here

bootzilla

Horology Curious
9/1/10
Hey everyone,

First I want to thank everybody - for the past week or so, I've been cruising the site, and it is impossible to absorb the vast amount of information that you guys provide here - I've learned more in the past few nights about watches than I've ever known - and it is because all of you all are nice enough to share your knowledge and experience.

Long story short - I was looking through boxes of stuff when I moved, looking for my grandfather's Hamilton (he worked at the factory in Pennsylvania for years), when I came across a "replica" Breitling that a friend picked up as a gift for me in Dubai (I say "replica" with quotes because it bears no resemblance to any Breitling that I've ever seen...it doesn't look cheap though, and still runs 7 years later...go figure).

While trying to find out what my replica was, I stumbled across this site, and instantly got hooked! After tons of research, I've decided to use one of the RWI trusted dealers to pick up a Rolex Explorer I and a Glashutte Senator Sixties - both understated, yet elegant designs - and from comments on the site and comparing pictures, it seems like they are well done replicas for a beginner to enjoy - hopefully I am starting out on the right path! I need something with a little style to go with my utilitarian Suunto Vector.

Thanks in advance for all your help! I'll be sure to post pictures as soon as I get my reps and share all my experiences!

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Hello, welcome to the hobby and to the forum! Look forward to seeing the pictures of your new acquisitions. :)

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
And the darkside claims another victim. :cool2:

Welcome aboard, and don't feel like you have to wait until you get your "new" replicas to post pics - show us what you've got now! Your description of the Breitling has me curious.

jy6221

7/7/09
Welcome!

looking forwards to seeing some pictures! As mentioned above, let's also see some pictures of the Breitling

bootzilla

Horology Curious
9/1/10
Sorry about the horrible quality of the pic :wacko: - I just snapped it real quick with the old point 'n' shoot in bad lighting - I can get a better shot tomorrow with my real camera.

Anybody have a clue what this was supposed to quasi-resemble? It was probably made around 2002 or 2003. I'm not terribly knowledgeable on Breitlings, but nothing really looks right about it, and the "chrono" sub-dials are month, day and a 24 hr am/pm - all of which work. Any ideas, or is it a total hack job?:

Pics-024.jpg

Strangest part is that it keeps decent time. The second hand isn't pretty to watch, but it hasn't drifted since I started it back up.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
OMFG! :rofl:
It's a classic! Mate, AFIK it resembles no known Briet but it's a classic "bad" rep. Keep her allways as a talking point. Is it an auto or quartz?

The explorer I won't dissapoint. They are one of the most accurate reps out there. Mine is a favorite daily beater. I like it's size for a workday watch. I work with very expensive boats and a big watch around triple lacquerd cherry wood is just asking for trouble. At the same time it's a timeless design in the same way as the railmaster or the simple IWCs and is very readable. The lume is reasonable without being great and overall the watch is very close to the gen. It looks at home on a bracelet or a leather/mesh band.

Glashutte, what can I say? Lovely watches, I own a gen. So clean and simple yet elegent, every thing a dress watch should be.

Good choices of watch for the first two, just don't think it will stop there :)

Regards, Col.

avenger007

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
21/2/09
Welcome to the forum. Now go get yourself a better Breitling! :)

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
First off ..... Welcome ! I am new to the site myself, but .....I find myself here alot... The administrators are very knowledgable and have given me some excellent advice on a multitude of watch related topics ... GREAT STUFF ! ... Secondly ... and don't take this personally .... Please DON'T wear that old rep in public! Treat yourself to one of the BEAUTIFUL new specimans our trusted dealers can offer you in a Breitling flavor (my FAVORITE) ! Good luck with your purchases and have a BALL collecting !

bootzilla

Horology Curious
9/1/10
It's a classic! Mate, AFIK it resembles no known Briet but it's a classic "bad" rep. Keep her allways as a talking point. Is it an auto or quartz?

Hahaha - I figured as much! I think my friend paid about 10 or 15 bucks for it.

It's an automatic - I popped it open, and it is one of those cheapie movements that has plastic around it, making it even more surprising the thing actually still ticks.

It will stay firmly planted on the shelf - and in the meantime I can't wait for my Explorer and Sixties to get here. I've already got like 5 other reps in mind that I want!

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
Hey, welcome!

If the Explorer I is of the same quality as my wife's, it qualifies as a super rep - VERY accurate to the gen. The crown in a tad off and the numbers are a little bit too thick, but a wonderful quality piece.

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
Keep her allways as a talking point.

+1

Never get rid of it!! When I first got a "decent" rep I threw away an old quartz Rollie I got in the late '80s - how stupid. I wish I still had it just to put pics of it here. The old POS reps are the best (almost antique, if you will).