• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Speedmaster "Moon" from Ruby!

nsquared

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/4/07
Hi all,
I just got a new Speedmaster "Moon" hand-wind from Ruby. It is so nice! The quality, fit and feel have exceeded my expectations, and I am very happy with this beautiful watch. I will post photos in this thread this weekend when I can get to my camera.

I do have a question... I'm having a bit of difficulty screwing in the crown. I feel as though I'm pushing and turning but nothing is happening. I know it's no broken because I dropped it off at a watch repair shop to have links removed and when I picked it up I noticed they had screwed the crown in. I was long gone before I noticed to ask them about it.

So are there any tricks? Do I turn it in the direction I wind to screw in? Or do I need to turn it in the opposite direction? I don't want to break it so I'll wait to hear from you guys.

tenshin2002

3/1/09
The crown has to be pushed in quite hard on some watches, as there is a spring thats supposed to push the crown outwards.
The trick i use is to push the crown in (with a bit of force) and first turn the crown anti clockwise until you hear a click, then you turn the crown (while still pushin the crown in) clockwise.
Hope that helps.

nsquared

17/4/07
OK, I think I figured out what my problem was. I took it to a watch repair shop to have links taken out of it and I think he over-wound it before I picked it up. It was very tight and hard to screw the crown in. I let the watch recover for a few days (this thing has an amazing power reserve!) and it is now easier to screw in. Thanks

tenshin2002

3/1/09
nsquared said:
OK, I think I figured out what my problem was. I took it to a watch repair shop to have links taken out of it and I think he over-wound it before I picked it up. It was very tight and hard to screw the crown in. I let the watch recover for a few days (this thing has an amazing power reserve!) and it is now easier to screw in. Thanks
It doesnt sound like that was the problem. I dont have this watch, but normally for watches with screw in crown you have to unscrew the crown and pull the crown out a bit before it engages for winding. What I mean is that when you push the crown in to screw it in it should not engage the winding, and therefore you should not have this problem.
Understand what im trying to say?

Novesh

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/06
I don't think its supposed to be screwed in? I know on my gen it just snaps back in place and you can spin it freely (to wind it)

nsquared

17/4/07
tenshin2002 said:
nsquared said:
It doesnt sound like that was the problem. I dont have this watch, but normally for watches with screw in crown you have to unscrew the crown and pull the crown out a bit before it engages for winding. What I mean is that when you push the crown in to screw it in it should not engage the winding, and therefore you should not have this problem.

...No :|

After letting the watch wind down it is no longer tight and screws in fine. I don't understand what you are trying to explain. I pull the crown out - I wind - I push the crown in - I screw it down. :shock:

I think you misunderstood my problem. The problem was not the screwing in, the problem was that it was so tight I that I was having problems screwing it. I did not want to break it. I figured out that it was because the watch was wound too tightly!

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
mine are sometimes a pain in the a$$ to screw back in. I agree - push hard, go counter-clockwise (to line up the threads) then clockwise. Sometimes it takes a bit.

nsquared

17/4/07
Novesh said:
I don't think its supposed to be screwed in? I know on my gen it just snaps back in place and you can spin it freely (to wind it)

On the reps the crown screws down. I wish it more like your gen. I'm not a big fan of screw-down crowns, but I've got it working now.

tenshin2002

3/1/09
nsquared said:
tenshin2002 said:
nsquared said:

...No :|

After letting the watch wind down it is no longer tight and screws in fine. I don't understand what you are trying to explain. I pull the crown out - I wind - I push the crown in - I screw it down. :shock:

I think you misunderstood my problem. The problem was not the screwing in, the problem was that it was so tight I that I was having problems screwing it. I did not want to break it. I figured out that it was because the watch was wound too tightly!
What I was trying to explain is that, as you push the crown in towards the stem tube it should not engage the winding mekanism. That means that you should be able to wind the watch fully until you cant wind it more, and still be able to screw the crown in (because as you push the crown in it disengages the winding mechanism).
If you cant understand this its out hope! Help me out here people with english as first language!

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
You're fine - just a small misunderstanding - all is good :) :) :)

nsquared

17/4/07
What I was trying to explain is that, as you push the crown in towards the stem tube it should not engage the winding mekanism. That means that you should be able to wind the watch fully until you cant wind it more, and still be able to screw the crown in (because as you push the crown in it disengages the winding mechanism).
If you cant understand this its out hope! Help me out here people with english as first language!

OH! OK, now I understand. :D

But that doesn't seem to be the way this sea-gull movement operates. When pushed all the way in, the crown winds the watch. It doesn't seem to disengage - so it actually is winding the watch as you screw it down! It doesn't seem right, but it's not a big deal, I guess. Thanks for your help!

tenshin2002

3/1/09
nsquared said:

OK, now I understand. But that doesn't seem to be the way this sea-gull movement operates. When pushed all the way in, the crown winds the watch. It doesn't seem to disengage - so it actually is winding the watch as you screw it down! It doesn't seem right, but it's not a big deal, I guess. Thanks for your help!
Ok, thanks! I learn something here everyday. Still love that watch though, and I have heard only positive things about that Venus movement.
Still I dont get why they make it with screw down crown, if the gen isnt...

patrick8

18/1/09
nsquared said:
Hi all,
I just got a new Speedmaster "Moon" hand-wind from Ruby. It is so nice! The quality, fit and feel have exceeded my expectations, and I am very happy with this beautiful watch. I will post photos in this thread this weekend when I can get to my camera.

I do have a question... I'm having a bit of difficulty screwing in the crown. I feel as though I'm pushing and turning but nothing is happening. I know it's no broken because I dropped it off at a watch repair shop to have links removed and when I picked it up I noticed they had screwed the crown in. I was long gone before I noticed to ask them about it.

So are there any tricks? Do I turn it in the direction I wind to screw in? Or do I need to turn it in the opposite direction? I don't want to break it so I'll wait to hear from you guys.
i have a speedmaster moon from ruby also. i just love the watch! and it will look good on anybody.