• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New SMP chrono

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
Just received a new SMP chrono from Andrew--less than 5 days for delivery yet again. The date quit advancing on my old model (only via the stem's date position) when I replaced the crown--still advances fine at midnight by itself and by adjusting the time; go figure.

Anyway, I popped the case-back of the new one to inspect the movement and regulate & waterproof it, and noticed the new decorated movements & rotors they're putting in them lately. Painted screws to look anodized too. Beautiful though--a nice unexpected change; I didn't know if anyone else had noticed this on the latest reps or not.

Check it out:

a-1.jpg

(Edited to add pics--gen box & bookset not included ;) )

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

jb

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
7/9/06
What is on the upper left lug? Are those marks defects or greece?

italiano17771

Renowned Member
5/5/07
looks great!! i dont know why they dont engrave the hbb and iwc cd reps. pretty pathetic using stickers if you ask me...and arent they suppose to be "super" reps? anyway i like the new look. enjoy the new peiece.

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
jb said:
What is on the upper left lug? Are those marks defects or greece?

Silicon grease from water-proofing--just snapped a shot before I cleaned it up.

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
italiano17771 said:
looks great!! i dont know why they dont engrave the hbb and iwc cd reps. pretty pathetic using stickers if you ask me...and arent they suppose to be "super" reps? anyway i like the new look. enjoy the new peiece.

Thanks!

higgy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
17/3/06
Hey gio.... movement is hot!!!! SMP's a great reps. Haven't seen you around much.... good to see you...

Higgy 8)

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Hey Gio, didn't you own the genuine version of this watch? How does the rep compare to your gen, in your opinion?

gioarmani7428

I'm Pretty Popular
2/9/06
Thanks to all!

@ Bytor--for fear of voiding the warranty, I never opened the gen but the gen was off by around 4-5 seconds per day; because I've regulated my reps myself, the rep is actually off less than 2 seconds per day. :) The gen is also now sold, btw. Thinking about trying my luck with a gen 16610LV--I know after my first Sub being a complete piece of shit (it might have well been made by Land Rover...), I'm thinking about giving Rollie one last go.

I also WP my reps myself & swim in them on almost a daily basis. I paid the AD for them to prove to me it was waterproof--they tried giving me the shit that it was "tested at the factory", etc, and because of which, they don't do this on their new models; I explained that it wasn't good enough as this was going in the drink immediately upon getting home. So having case-back openers & silicon grease, I don't sweat the rep aspect of WP'ing.

Not taking into account the difference between Omega's 1164 and the Asian 7750, the chronographs on the reps function perfectly as expected, and the subdial secs @ 9 run just as smooth as the gen. Outwardly, the watch looks perfect, save for the issue of the link screws vs pins.

I've also ordered a gen bezel insert--I have a feeling it should fit near-perfect without modding. The gen's lume was spot-on in brilliance & shade, between the markers, hands, and pearl. The rep's stock pearl (as per usual) is slightly weaker than the hands & markers, but the brilliance of the lume on both SMP reps is a LOT better than expected, straight from the box. There's only a very minor difference in the lume's brilliance between the markers & hands. And in complete darkness, the stock rep lume is still visible and easy to tell time on 4-5 hours after being exposed.

GEN:

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

REP

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

Edit: And on a side note, in case there's anyone who didn't read my thread on this (rep) model's WP test, this model held solid at 10 ATMs in the lab, and has been to 100ft below multiple times. I'd wager to say that since the case's construction is damn near 1:1 spot on, this thing--if properly serviced--this thing might even keep up with the gen's depth. The rep's HEV even appears to have a fully functioning valve inside that you can depress & reset with a needle, but I've never swam in it unless the HEV valve was all the way out & cap screwed on tighter than Tom Thumb's ass. Also, the pushers on the rep cannot be used underwater like the gens can.