• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

new SMP at Basel?

ispytonyv

Renowned Member
16/8/09
I wonder why nobody has mentioned this... looks like they:

switched to a LiquidMetal bezel
removed the wave pattern on the dial (why Omega, why?!)
rounded the date window corners

omega_sm_300_liquid_metal.jpg

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
I actually like the facelift, especially the date window

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
Is the dial ceramic, might be why they removed the pattern... Not really feeling the changes and the blue seamaster was my first gen YEARS ago.

05tbowner

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/9/10
I never really liked the "waves". I'm happy with the outcome of the face lift.

MartyNC

Known Member
22/9/09
OOOOOhh. I likey the black one. As for the more traditional blue one, not so much. I still like the wave texture of the older SMP. But that black one, wowzers! That will be a nice rep, if it is repped, that is.

pandersson

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/10/10
EU
Talked to friend who was at Basel and he said it was just amazing! The worst part is the price, it was told they start at around €5000 and the chronos at around €7000. This was just rumors so I can't confirm these prices...

lc125

Known Member
18/1/11
I like it a lot would be even better if they made it without a pearl..

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
X
I like it a lot would be even better if they made it without a pearl..

Yes, that way it would be hard for the rep factories to mess it up. ;)

ispytonyv

Renowned Member
16/8/09
I wonder why nobody has mentioned this... looks like they:

switched to a LiquidMetal bezel
removed the wave pattern on the dial (why Omega, why?!)
rounded the date window corners

omega_sm_300_liquid_metal.jpg

22208000-20.png

here's the original for comparison... looks like they made the hour indices slightly fatter on the new one as well, and moved "Professional" up to the top.

I dunno, I love the LiquidMetal bezel, and the date window looks nice though they should have kept the datewheel white, I just think the dial pattern (either wave or the various Bond versions) is what "made" the SMP. I guess I'm just a curmudgeon :)

ksaander

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
29/4/10
EU
The new blue bezel looks awesome (maybe digits are too flat, too 'oceaned'). But waveless dial and black colored date window (which chinese factors won't get right :) ) on blue smp don't look right to me. From these three bonds (classic, red 'seamaster' and newest model) classic still looks best without contest, which I can't wait to get from mary :)

Meta4

Renowned Member
26/4/09
They missed the opportunity to change those skeleton hands.
They're hard to read in dim light.

hascho

16/3/11
Worst case happened.

The SMP was a classic watch with real nice design - Omega turn this into a unbalanced piece of metal without self-sufficiency.
The new date is terrible; the whole watch is disastrous.

But they joined the club - Rolex destroyed the classic timeless look of the Oysters, Breitling made a horrible Superocean - and now Omeage foozled the SMP.

ksaander

Supporter
29/4/10
EU
I believe we all agree on one thing - it's not "Bond" anymore

Worst case happened.

The SMP was a classic watch with real nice design - Omega turn this into a unbalanced piece of metal without self-sufficiency.
The new date is terrible; the whole watch is disastrous.

But they joined the club - Rolex destroyed the classic timeless look of the Oysters, Breitling made a horrible Superocean - and now Omeage foozled the SMP.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
And i thought i was the only one who liked the waves...Nice looking but removing the waves are "bad move" for me.I suppose though the rep factories would make a good copy now with this one...

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
From an older press release:

Liquidmetal® Technologies Inc. (OTC:LQMT) and The Swatch Group Ltd. (SWX:UHR) today announced that they have signed an exclusive licensing agreement, allowing the Swiss manufacturer to utilize the Liquidmetal alloy technology worldwide. Within the Swatch Group, the Liquidmetal technology has been used for the first time in 2009 for the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean, and in 2010 for the Breguet “Reveil musical.†The present contract will allow The Swatch Group to use the technology exclusively in their entire line of timepieces.

If you like the effect, you'll like that the Swatch brands will likely present more of the Liquidmetal treatment.

Now, what will the rep makers do with this change?