• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Omega SMP without 3 o'clock marker

munsterh

Horology Curious
24/6/07
there,

I recently purchased a blue SMP James Bond from Precious Time. PT is really a great dealer: Reliable, fast, and most importantly - he does quality control of the pieces he send out. I can only highly recommend him. Prices are fair.

The SMP is, this is not a surprise for anybody here, a very nice watch indeed. Based on the 2824-2 nice quality and very close to the original. The watch still has the brezel alignment flaw and the He vent mispositioning. In additon, unfortunately, the marker at 3 o'clock has been eliminated. The medium sized version has a similar dial but with the 42mm sized SMP this is not existing in the original.

The "problem" has been reported before, but nobody has actually posted pictures of the watch. Please see below. What do people think about this version? Are there any approvements to the previous version to compensate for the downside with the 3 o'clock marker?

Meridius

Known Member
3/4/07
The pearl looks better than most for sure. The bezel position can of course be fixed, the He location is hard to notice if you aren't looking for it, but I think the missing 3 marker is kind of a deal breaker . . .it would really bug me.

triple-d

Renowned Member
5/3/07
All reps are going to have flaws. If I didn't have flaws pointed out to me, I would never notice most of them. I have never had a gen right next to any of my 30+ reps, and that is when they will really show up. It's a matter of whether you can live with it, you are the one that has to be happy. If you aren't happy now, you sure won't be next week.

I voted that It is a nice watch........but I'm not wearing it....and I didn't pay for it.

God luck on whatever you decide. :)

Vric

Renowned Member
17/6/06
Crown Gard look strange to me... Definitely not the best version so far. (my 2-3 years old one is better :p)

Beside the 3 marker, I would be happy with it.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
I voted YES. I have seen a lot worse, plus it's an easy watch to improve upon if you are comfortable with doing that. When I received mine it had a missing lume marker, crooked hour marker, and I had to fix the bezel insert and it still has the wrong HE position but who notices that anyway. It is still one of my fav reps unfortunately some of these flaws just go with the territory. I still like your watch :D

evilgenius88

Plotting world domination
Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
I believe the waves on the dial are very, very close to a genuine on this one. The three 'o clock marker is a big thing though... something an Omeega connoisseur or an AD employee would quickly spot. So you just might want to check out ebay for a genuine replacement dial... it could really pimp up your watch (everything correct + good lume). And if you want to go all out, why not get the hands too, then you have great lume + accuracy.

The He valve is something that's close to unfixable. A genuine SMP case costs around 700 dollars, which is close to what you can get a used gen SMP for.

And as far as model accuracy goes, you know that the new (2007) SMP has "Seamaster" written under the Omega logo and in red nowdays?