• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New kind of PayPal scam

MainRules

Getting To Know The Place
30/9/21
Since this comunity is prone to international purchases and sales, I'd like to share a recent scam that got me quite worried as it was involving a paypal (not FF) payment which I tought it was scam proof.

P..DR..D

Regendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
fox cooking GIF by Masterchef

MainRules

30/9/21
So basically I bough a device out from a forum. It was rougly 1000€. The guy had pictures and was quickly answering messages in proper italian (that was the language of the forum). I asked why he was selling and he said it was because he didn't need it anymore... fair enough.
I said I wasn't going to pay with bank transfer or other rubbish and he said that he was only taking PayPal... perfect!

I sent the payment and he said he was going to ship it the day after.

The day after he said he was busy and he was sending nother time.

two days later he said he was shipping another time cause still busy at work...

5 days after the payment I went on paypal for other reasons and I saw that he marked the item as shipped and upon traking paypal was saying that it was delivered.

P..DR..D

Regendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Did he supply a tracking number and what did that tracking number say?

I think a version of this type of scame has happened before.

The toerag, I mean scammer, I mean seller, will usually ship 'something' to try fool the payment processors.

Most creative I've seen is star wars shampoo or something similar.

Which is why it is key (and I do it with all online purchases, regardless of who it is, even amazon) to do an unboxing video.

When alls good, its deleted.

But several times over the years, with large companies, it has been the evidence I've needed to resolve issues of missing or incorrect deliveries.

Irrefutable.

Last edited:
Reactions: KruisingKhaos95

KruisingKhaos95

Got any plums?
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
20/9/21
Spion Kop - The Scouse Republic
So basically I bough a device out from a forum. It was rougly 1000€. The guy had pictures and was quickly answering messages in proper italian (that was the language of the forum). I asked why he was selling and he said it was because he didn't need it anymore... fair enough.
I said I wasn't going to pay with bank transfer or other rubbish and he said that he was only taking PayPal... perfect!

I sent the payment and he said he was going to ship it the day after.

The day after he said he was busy and he was sending nother time.

two days later he said he was shipping another time cause still busy at work...

5 days after the payment I went on paypal for other reasons and I saw that he marked the item as shipped and upon traking paypal was saying that it was delivered.

I'm confused, so was this item purchased via the forum or off it?

MainRules

30/9/21
So I immediately called the guy which didn't reply and send another message saying that he couldn't speak because he got deaf after an accident :cautious:

I opened a payPal dispute while keep messagin him asking what the hell was going on.

He asked to close the dispute because there was a mistake and he didn't ship yet and he was going to ship soon.. Knowing well that the same dispute cannot be opened twice I didn't close it and I kept going with him telling me to return the money as soon as possible.

He then started to threten me saying that I already got the item and I was trying to cheat him and trying to get the money back from PayPal.

I told him to stop and retun the money otherwise also police would be involved.

P..DR..D

Regendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
He asked to close the dispute because there was a mistake and he didn't ship yet and he was going to ship soon.. Knowing well that the same dispute cannot be opened twice I didn't close it and I kept going with him telling me to return the money as soon as possible.
This is good to know, learn something new everyday, thank you.

MainRules

30/9/21
I escaleted the PayPal dispute and went to sleep afterwards as it was quite late.

In the morning I found my email flooded with spam (1500 messages) and in between them there was the paypal email saying that the dispute was over as the tracking was positively saying itam delivered to my town (for privacy the tracking cannot report names or addresses). For me it was then impossible to appeal again on the web page and the scammer got the money.

UPS assistance was denying me any sort of detail of this delivery and paypal was denying other appeals from the webiste

P..DR..D

Regendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Am not familiar with the PayPal escalation process, but am subscribing in the hope that someone is & can outline / explain possible next steps.

MainRules

30/9/21
Long story short...

Had to phisically go to a UPS delivery center. Tell the story to a worker. He said to forge a UPS fake document (as he couldn't make one himself) stating what happened (the parcel xxxxxx was not addressed to me or to my address). He signed the document.
With the document I called Paypal which opened an email appeal where I could upload the document. With the document paypal revied again the transaction and returned me the money.

after all of this, italian police didn't want to take a statement as It would have been to difficult or too useless to prosecute the scammer.

MainRules

30/9/21
Did he supply a tracking number and what did that tracking number say?

I think a version of this type of scame has happened before.

The toerag, I mean scammer, I mean seller, will usually ship 'something' to try fool the payment processors.

Most creative I've seen is star wars shampoo or something similar.

Which is why it is key (and I do it with all online purchases, regardless of who it is, even amazon) to do an unboxing video.

When alls good, its deleted.

But several times over the years, with large companies, it has been the evidence I've needed to resolve issues of missing or incorrect deliveries.

Irrefutable.

apparently this scammer has access to UPS tracking numbers and finds any item being delivered around your location... for privacy reason nobody will disclose the real address or the real recipient and Paypal cannot do anything but confirming delivery

KruisingKhaos95

Got any plums?
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
20/9/21
it's a website to list items for sale... and then you are free to conclude the sale however you want
Well I'm glad to hear you got your money back mate, these scumbags will come up with all sorts of methods to scam hard working people out of their £££.

Also, the reason I asked if the sale was made through here is because you can open up a ticket with the mods and have it looked into, it'd also stop other members potentially being scammed by the same person.

MainRules

30/9/21
Am not familiar with the PayPal escalation process, but am subscribing in the hope that someone is & can outline / explain possible next steps.

If you have a problem with a PayPal (not FF) transaction you first open a CLAIM.
You have some days to friendly resolve the matter with the seller in a few days. If you close the claim you cannot open it again.

If the seller doesn't answer or if you cannot reach a positive outcome you can escalate to dispute.
Paypal then reviews trasaction and messaging between the parties and tries to reach a conclusion.

In this case it was wrongly easy for them to give the money to the seller as the item was shown delivered on their system

Reactions: P..DR..D

Obscuranocte

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
10/1/22
Italy
Wait a second
PayPal has received a tracking Number matching your locality for an already delivered parcel?
I have been scammed in a similar way...but my parcel resulted been delivered in muscat Oman...
I am in Italy btw

MainRules

30/9/21
Is there a way to defend yourself from a scam like this? I think:

1. Call the guy... not sure why but he probably had a not italian accent.
2. Eventually video call the guy and ask to show the item.
3. Keep checking paypal to see if the seller updates the shipping info.
4. Be friendly to currier guys as they're help is precious because their websites, callcenters and systems are useless otherwise
5. Pretend police doesn't exist as they are useless for this kind of crimes

MainRules

30/9/21
Wait a second
PayPal has received a tracking Number matching your locality for an already delivered parcel?
I have been scammed in a similar way...but my parcel resulted been delivered in muscat Oman...
I am in Italy btw
Yes, one day after the payment, the seller uploaded a tracking code on PayPal relative to some other item not shipped by him but a company from another region, and delivered in my same town but rougly 2km away from me.

It could have been easier to show the mistake if it was not my town or country.. but given the similar address paypal didn't care and released my money to him

KruisingKhaos95

Got any plums?
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
20/9/21
Is there a way to defend yourself from a scam like this? I think:

1. Call the guy... not sure why but he probably had a not italian accent.
2. Eventually video call the guy and ask to show the item.
3. Keep checking paypal to see if the seller updates the shipping info.
4. Be friendly to currier guys as they're help is precious because their websites, callcenters and systems are useless otherwise
5. Pretend police doesn't exist as they are useless for this kind of crimes
The only advice I can offer in this circumstance is buy the seller. Do your research and check if they have a track record of successful sales and if so, check how long they have been selling for. Especially for items as high value as this.

Also, if you are still unsure, send a few messages out to past buyers and chat with them a bit about their experience, as some sellers can employ bots or alt accounts to forge a positive reputation, then capitalise by selling a few high ticket items in a short timeframe then ride off into the sunset with your money.

Last edited:
Reactions: P..DR..D

P..DR..D

Regendary Member
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
A scammer finding a delivery to an area near you, and uploading that as proof to Paypal, wow, that's a a new one for me so, thank you for sharing.

And for outlining the process involved in getting your money back, very helpful.

Am glad you got your money back.

Reactions: MainRules

MainRules

30/9/21
The only advice I can offer in this circumstance is buy the buyer. Do your research and check if they have a track record of successful sales and if so, check how long they have been selling for. Especially for items as high value as this.

Also, if you are still unsure, send a few messages out to past buyers and chat with them a bit about their experience, as some sellers can employ bots or alt accounts to forge a positive reputation, then capitalise by selling a few high ticket items in a short timeframe then ride off into the sunset with your money.

Yes, that also...
By checking his phone number online afterwards there were other 2 scam reports, not easy to find, and not on sales but on purchases... So

6. Check personal details of the seller online as much as you can