• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Arrival - UPO

kjo43

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/1/13
Big day today, my first respectable rep was delivered!

The release news of the 8500 rep has taking a bit of the wind from my sails, but I'm quite happy with this UPO (asian ETA) that has just arrived.

photo-14_zps4e7f7883.jpg

NOW ITS TIME BRING ON THE MODS!

I'm not going to go overboard (I hope), but I'm thinking of the following... Would love to have some input from the more experienced.

1. AR crystal from Sunnydale -> Already on the way...:D:

2. Gen Crown & Tube to in hopes to increase reliability,usability, water resistance? Should I do this now, or use it until it breaks/crossthreads, etc?

3. seal He valve - this looks like it goes through the case fully on my watch. Is this normally done with Gen parts or can the rep parts be sealed for water tightness?

4. Datewheel - If I order Gen parts for Crown & Tube, I might as well do the datewheel (with the 1-9 Bold) since the part is so inexpensive.

I really am quite satisfied (on day 1) with the dial/hands and the pearl alignment doesn't bother me (yet) - so I may just leave these alone (for now).

I'm in the USA and will be looking for a trusted 'executor' of the items above. Sizing the bracelet is about the extent of my skills :)

All advice/thoughts are welcome.

BaggyPants

Renowned Member
24/11/12
Might I suggest that before you order all the bits, you just wear it as it is for a while? I have the exact same model UPO and love it just as it is. I also have all three colour variations of the v.5 42mm Planet Ocean. The only mod I am having done is the crown/tube, lume and waterproof on the white number/black bezel 42 I got, because it stripped the threads and I figured I'd get it all done in one go. The AR on your UPO looks to be clear, like mine (in my avatar), so I don't understand why you would change it, and I like the blue tint on my 42's, which is perfectly authentic for early models. There is even a publicity photo for Quantum of Solace which shows the blue AR on Daniel Craigs PO 42.

UPOClose_zpscd8dbf61.jpg

sen284

Known Member
17/1/13
Congrats, that looks great. Mind if in ask which TD you went with?

sunnydale

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/8/09
Congrats K, looks nice! Really change the crystal, rep crystal is so foggy. It does not make the crystal pop. If I only had known these new Ceramic ones are coming, I would have kept that crystal :)

Edit: my Franken says hello!

IMG_4146.jpg

kjo43

19/1/13
Congrats K, looks nice! Really change the crystal, rep crystal is so foggy. It does not make the crystal pop. If I only had known these new Ceramic ones are coming, I would have kept that crystal :)

Edit: my Franken says hello!

Pics like that could make me spend money on a Gen dial:facepalm:
that is very, very sweet.

I'll certainly get the crystal installed.

justudor

18/1/13
Congrats, that looks great. Mind if in ask which TD you went with?

Also keen to know - as there are so many, I get confused. The ones at perfect clones and trusty time are what I've been eyeing off, but need to know that the gorgeous ones like yours are those or similar

kjo43

19/1/13
Dainese - this came from toro, but for this model you may have better luck in M2M now. or consider going with the 8500 rep.

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Nice kjo, hard to beat those older v5/upo, once modded out they are a such a great watch and a great keeper.

justudor

18/1/13
Dainese - this came from toro, but for this model you may have better luck in M2M now. or consider going with the 8500 rep.

Thank you sir! Looks great!
Are the case dimensions (namely thickness) accurately reflected in the product page/es?

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
My 42mm UPO says Hi!

E4422D83-F83F-4156-91E0-6A5A2C6E826E-9294-000007F6AF7EB884_zpsc437a2d1.jpg

It's still all original (from the asian factory LOL)

Only "mods" are:

Complete overhaul

Waterproofing to 5ATM

Might get a Sunnydale Crystal soon.

(I had just washed the cars and bathed the dogs with it in this pic.. LOL)

dimko61

Horology Curious
8/2/13
I want to look into a 45.5 UPO with Orange bezel V5.this looks as good as i need. Can u recomend the TD? Also any info about a dealer called Trusty Time having trouble finding info on him here.

Lenny

I'm Pretty Popular
28/8/11
That UPO looks great out of the watch and I agree the crystal AR looks good....wear it and enjoy it and decide down the line if you want to mod ??

I had my UPO for 6 months and never modded it as I was very satisfied, my AR was not as good as yours

Those dial markers seem very good for a Rep

stormspeed

8/4/11
My 42mm UPO says Hi!

E4422D83-F83F-4156-91E0-6A5A2C6E826E-9294-000007F6AF7EB884_zpsc437a2d1.jpg

It's still all original (from the asian factory LOL)

Only "mods" are:

Complete overhaul

Waterproofing to 5ATM

Might get a Sunnydale Crystal soon.

(I had just washed the cars and bathed the dogs with it in this pic.. LOL)

I thought the "UPO" was the 45mm. The 42mm is just PO. Sorry if I'm mistaken.

kjo43

19/1/13
Mod #1 is complete

The Crystal is in.

Here's the BEFORE photo.
You can see the twin fluorescent bulbs in the bottom of the crystal

and from the midline, up you can easily make out the white pegboard I have mounted on the wall above my bench top.

P1010551_zps12124227.jpg

On to SunnyDale's wonderful crystal... This is the last of its kind I believe, at least for now...

I forgot to snap a photo before replacing the bracelet, but I put the watch back to the same spot to get the best comparison I could.

Miles ahead!!
The numbers (6,9,12) are visibly brighter white, totally shocking. Overall its just THAT much better. I can't wait to see it in some sunlight when I get a chance to get outside.

P1010564_zpsd05a292a.jpg

Thanks for the Crystal Sunnydale, it will be on my wrist, alot! :cheers:

sunnydale

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/8/09
Great job mate! Well done! The effect is amazing! Yes this was my last UPO crystal with my newest super duper AR done and I really regret selling this :) Just when I sold this to you, I noticed Cr POs coming!

Post some pics in sunlight too!

lofi

Known Member
16/5/10
i just finished putting my franken together (still waiting for bezel and case back tho) used a sunnydale crystal.. its a stunner! i totally vouch for sunnydale's crystals. pure awesome ar and clarity.