• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New 4500V from MKS

monkeypie

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/12/08
Looks like they still haven't dealt with the outer ring issue.

The price is lower than ZF, who has the better dial color.

monkeypie

9/12/08
What is the outer ring issue?

The minute track around the dial is actually a groove so it is not flush with the rest of the dial.

The gen has a more pronounced groove and the edge is easily observable, whereas the ZF's groove is much more shallow and barely noticeable. The exception is the silver dial that does not have this. It is a a massive tell if you know what to look for.

The Brown dial above seems to have a different colored minute track, but not sure if it is grooved deep enough.

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
Doing a bit of research on this v ZFbut nothing explicit to compare both....
MKS is substantially cheaper than ZF ( almost $200 ) !!!
Is there a $200 difference in some detail or quality that isn't obvious ?

Reaps

-
25/9/22
Doing a bit of research on this v ZFbut nothing explicit to compare both....
MKS is substantially cheaper than ZF ( almost $200 ) !!!
Is there a $200 difference in some detail or quality that isn't obvious ?
Actually in the local market, ZF is known to be overpriced.... that isn't to say their quality isn't good, but it's alot higher than what other factory charges for their products.

Reactions: Horace_Derwent

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
100% I think this might be the one to get.

ZF uses their custom Miyota with the balance on the opposite side, which looks nice, but CANNOT be serviced if the hairspring goes as there are not replacements easily or cheaply available on the market.

While the plate on this is easily more atrocious due to this balance wheel being a stock Miyota, it is serviceable 100%.

Rotor color doesn't match gen, just like ZF.

Andy83n

Patron
1/3/20
Jersey
There's a new 35mm version coming out, can't see which factory, that appears to have more distinct rings on the dial

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
Actually in the local market, ZF is known to be overpriced.... that isn't to say their quality isn't good, but it's alot higher than what other factory charges for their products.
I can vouch for MKS since their Piaget Polo S and Omega Constellation and Breguet Classique 5177 Reps were really, really Good !

ZF is top quality too, but definitely more expensive...

100% I think this might be the one to get.

ZF uses their custom Miyota with the balance on the opposite side, which looks nice, but CANNOT be serviced if the hairspring goes as there are not replacements easily or cheaply available on the market.

While the plate on this is easily more atrocious due to this balance wheel being a stock Miyota, it is serviceable 100%.
Thank you for your insight ! ! So, MKS is more serviceable than ZF...good to know !

Last edited:

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
HSC5mp.jpeg

HSCLcb.jpeg

Dial side I see no difference, unless there is something I am majorly missing. Date font sitting high on the MKS but that is just an issue with the spacer on the backside and is an easy fix.

Yes, cosmetically, the backside of the ZF is prettier, however as a person who services these watches, having a standard Miyota movement in there makes this much more attractive to me in the long haul, especially given that they are identical from the front.

The clasp on the MKS I believe has a longer/larger maltese cross than ZF based on the video, but unnoticeable IMO for most.

monkeypie

9/12/08
There is a recent 4600 release (smaller) where they have the groove for the minutes track, so no idea why they don't do this with the 4500v.

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
Has anyone received one of these or had any on hand experience? Tempted to pick this up just for the better centred date wheel. I wear my ZF a fair bit but most dates are quite left aligned.

Reactions: applez

SteveMcQueen1930

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
9/5/19
Did anyone get a 4500v in gold color from MKS or ZF yet? Which one is more accurate case wise?

I have a gen dial with rose gold markers and was wondering which is the best base currently for a franken project…

Reactions: Horace_Derwent

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
@SteveMcQueen1930 : waiting for an answer from others (I own a MKS Piaget polo and it is fantastic but never had the Overseas) it should be noted that, apart of MKS and ZF there is also the PPF rep of the 4500v, pretty expensive

Very cool 😎 that you have an original VC Dial!

duped

waverly
26/2/24
Is the blue MKS and ZF the same or is the color sunburst noticeable?