• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do all Portuguese have movement issues?

captainjz16

4/6/08
Do all Portuguese have movement issues or only the models with a subdial at the 6 position? Any other IWC's as dressy as the Portuguese?

thanks

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
All die eventually. It's a question of time.
Only a gen movement will solve the problem so far.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
If you get the movement serviced by one of our very knowledgeable watch smiths, like Katt or 14060 here in the US, then you may get many many years of service. Unserviced, you may get a few days to a couple years on average.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
It is commonly admitted that the graphite treatment may help lasting longer, but it should be properly applied. I had my (now sold) Portuguese treated twice.
Not a good investment IMO, too much risks of something wrong happening, and I still can't understand why this flawed movement was never upgraded by the makers, they would sell like hotcakes.

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
A concepta portu with a genuine movement (appx $900 to $1300) doesn't have the same issues. However, you have to have it made and it can take awhile to get.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I agree an improved model would be very popular.
I know that when 14060 services them he does more than a graphite treatment. He tears to movement completely down, cleans all parts, and removes the unused parts to reduce drag, then rebuilds with proper lube and alignments and calibrates the movement.
I believe Katt does the same.

kulcsarj80

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/12/10
14060 just got mine for the service.He said,that it can be good for many years after his treatment.
I wanted to have Concepta build one for me,b i can not reach him nowhere,and he doesnt reply for my pm.:((((

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
I'd save the 550 euros for gen movements and get the plates DLC'd.

thedoover

Snow Monkey Ambassador
Supporter
Certified
15/6/10
The Portuguese that dont have the seconds at 6 are fine, like the Port 7 days. Alternate dressy IWC's are the FA Jones handwind, that has a well decorated movement, the Regulator and the handwind vintage collection jubilee. I believe there is a Pix review of the FA Jones.

QinetiQ

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/8/09
The Portuguese that dont have the seconds at 6 are fine, like the Port 7 days. Alternate dressy IWC's are the FA Jones handwind, that has a well decorated movement, the Regulator and the handwind vintage collection jubilee. I believe there is a Pix review of the FA Jones.

Yeah but the Portuguese 7day is a horrible rep to start with. Nowhere near the quality and accuracy of the Chrono version

mbjoer

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/09

+1

The answer to the OP's question is that warnings about the movement relate to Chronos with sec @6 ONLY.

This means that other Portuguese models are OK, but likewise means that other such chronos, like the Ingy or the Rollie Daytona, should be avoided as well.

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10
it's a shame the port 7day is such a sub par rep. i don't like chronos and the port is such a nice looking watch.