• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Need help with a new movement

king crimson

Looking Around
17/7/23
California
Hello! I have an old silver Rolex Datejust 36mm that I got from the old BST subreddit. The movement/main spring is broken so I was looking at my alternatives for a new movement. I can't find the actual post since the reddit got banned and I also can't find the person's username I bought it from, so I was wondering what's my steps to take and/or which movements would be ok. I also bought a 2813 movement off eBay and I took it to the watch guy and he said it just wouldn't fit this watch. Here's a pic of the internals of the watch, thank you in advance!

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
You have either a 2824 or 2836 movement. Unless there's markings accordingly you can't tell from the back side your best bet and what I would recommend is ask your watch Smith to look at the dial side and tell you which one it is and just order a brand new one from a supplier. Your alternative to the ETA would be an SW200 or SW220 depending on if it's a 2824 or 2836.

Reactions: RDRoss

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
If you knew which maker or any additional information on it we might be able to tell from the known bits which movement they typically installed.

Reactions: king crimson

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
Probably a 2824, it was typical for the older 36mm DJs.

The 2813 and 2836 are interchangeable, minus the dial and hands. The 2836 is very similar to a 2824, but their stem heights are different.

king crimson

Looking Around
17/7/23
California
If you knew which maker or any additional information on it we might be able to tell from the known bits which movement they typically installed.
I've no additional info sadly :( I can't find their reddit user and the subreddit with the original selling post was banned

Geonor

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
20/5/22
Norway
Here's a good 2836 alternative from a well known store on AliExpress, the Seagull ST2100:

And here's a good 2824 alternative from the same store, the Seagull ST2130:

Your movement probably has a date overlay you will need to swap over from the old movement but everything should fit. Seagull makes good movements for $50-$60 if you don't want to spend triple or quadruple that for a Swiss and is a big step up from the Shanghai 2824 that probably sits in yours right now in terms of reliability.

Karbon74

Unrivalled Super Hottie
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kanto Region
Here's a good 2836 alternative from a well known store on AliExpress, the Seagull ST2100:

Your movement probably has a date overlay you will need to swap over from the old movement but everything should fit. Seagull makes good movements for $50-$60 if you don't want to spend triple or quadruple that for a Swiss and is a big step up from the Shanghai 2824 that probably sits in yours right now in terms of reliability.
omg. thank you. i was looking for exactly this

king crimson

Looking Around
17/7/23
California

Thank you so much! I've recently bought the 2824 and installed it and all that, but now I fucked up and need the date overlay as it's too much to the right now. I was wondering if I can just buy a date overlay off Aliexpress too?

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
Thank you so much! I've recently bought the 2824 and installed it and all that, but now I fucked up and need the date overlay as it's too much to the right now. I was wondering if I can just buy a date overlay off Aliexpress too?
You can remove it (slowly insert a razor blade under it) from the date wheel and re-align. The ones that come inside the watch are the best, as the 3rd party you can get from Ebay/Ali are misprinted.