• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Need help keyless works on UPO 45.5mm!

TheCold

15/8/09
Hi guys!

I read a various of tutorials on how to fix the dislodged keyless works and I thought what the heck and went for it.

Before I did this fix I had the following problems:

The crown could not be screwn all the way so it was flush with the case.
The date-set and time set worked randomly.
The hack mechanism did not work.

So I did exactly as stated in various tutorials for the ETA2824-2 all went well with hack mechanism and such. But all of a sudden when I set the time It doesn't hack, just stopped hacking all of a sudden.

And the crown Still doesn't want to get screwn all the way so its flush with the case.

One thing I noticed as well was that the date when I set it doesn't flip like from date to date it more that I have to twist it more to get the date to set up straight otherwise it wil just be stuck between two numerals.

So please, if anyone could answer these questions I would be very glad!

MMA

5/10/10
Triple check your keyless and that the bits that are supposed to give tension (the 'spring' parts) are all good. If not there, check the setting wheel (right by the keyless) and that the setting wheel post is seated correctly in the wheel .

If all looks good there, go to the opposite side of the movement and check everything is ok with the calendar driving wheel and associated bits and springs.

Good luck! :)

TheCold

15/8/09
Triple check your keyless and that the bit that are supposed to giv tension (the 'spring' parts) are all good. If not there, check the setting wheel (right by the keyless) and that the setting wheel post is seated correctly in the wheel .

If all looks good there, go to the opposite side of the movement and check everything is ok with the calendar driving wheel and associated bits and springs.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the quick reply! This is what I should check to fix the date-set issue that it doesn't flip all the way right? This has nothing to do with the crown not being able to be screw in?

Thanks!

MMA

5/10/10
I think your crown problem is related to the crown and tube threads. If it is, then it's not related to the movement. It's an external matter (well, sort of).

TheCold

15/8/09
okay so that the crown doesn't want to get screwn into the case is either stripped tube or crown or such? As for what you told me I will try it, but do you have any idea why the hack mechanism just stopped all of a sudden?

What I noticed when I looked on this image on a tutorial
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r165/tadich/Keylessworksdisassembly2824027Large.jpg

Is that I do not have this groove that the clutch may rest in, and I have a "swiss" eta 2824-2 but maybe some movements are different?

MMA

5/10/10
Do you mean the hack lever/post (or whatever it's called)? It should be there, you should be able to see it even if it's damaged. Unfortunately that's where my knowledge stops on that one.

Good luck.

Cynikal.Mindset

Renowned Member
7/1/11
I just had to do the keyless on a 2824-2 two times yesterday cuz the second I put the stem back in it buggered again.

Figured I better hurry and complete part 2 before Sconehead beats me to it.
lol.gif

Ok let's get this silly thing back together. A little Pink Floyd music in the background and an iced coffee and we're ready to go.
keyless7Large.jpg

First we will put the clutch back in. Most of this is just going in reverse of the disassembly.
Just make sure the hack lever is inside the clutch groove.
keyless6Large.jpg

Replace the winding pinion and insure that the pinion teeth will engage properly with the clutch.
clutchandwindingpinionLarge.jpg

Now the intermediate wheel arm has been replaced.
KeylessWorksassembly004Large.jpg

The set lever is now in place. Notice that the tip of the set lever rests against the intermediate wheel arm. (see arrow pointing below)
KeylessWorksassembly005Large-1.jpg

Next, replace the clutch return lever making sure it rests in the groove of the clutch.
KeylessWorksassembly007Large.jpg

Close-up of the clutch lever in the clutch groove.
keyless5Large.jpg

Now it's time to replace the keyless works cover.
KeylessWorksassembly009Large.jpg

At first it will look something like this.
KeylessWorksassembly011Large.jpg

We must push this part of the cover over so it engages the end of the clutch lever...
KeylessWorksassembly013Large.jpg

...so it will look like this. I used my screwdriver to do this and look, I scuffed it up a little. Oh well that's live television for you.
angry.gif

keyless4Large.jpg

...also check to ensure that the lower end of the keyless cover engages with the set lever, as shown in the arrows below.
keyless3Large-1.jpg

Replace the intermediate wheel.
KeylessWorksassembly016Large.jpg

At this point I give it a few swipes of rodico putty to remove the smudges.
KeylessWorksassembly019Large.jpg

Replace the motion works cover and screw, clean the whole thing with some rodico and voila, completed.
keylesscompletedLarge.jpg

By this time you are ready for something a lot stronger to drink than iced coffee.
zzz.gif

This has been an RWG exclusive. Thanks for watching.

TheCold

15/8/09
Thing is I couldn't see the "hack teeth" that is supposed to go into the pinion groove and now my second hand broke :S have to send it somewhere because this is driving me nuts.