• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Need help, gen or rep Planet Ocean?

velgro77

Looking Around
31/3/10
Hi,

I need some help about determining if this watch is a replica or not. The guy bought the watch from Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110477525295

The watchnumber on the cards, is that same number printed on the watch somewhere as well?

Do I have to contact Omega Support to actually check the watchnumber?

Thanks in advance and please move this thread if posted in the wrong place.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
yes i think the number of the papers is on the watch back and yes it seems gen to me...but you should wait for the experts to be sure...

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
I would say gen due to the He valve being below the 50 mark on the bezel and the Date-wheel not being sunken.

velgro77

Looking Around
31/3/10
OK thanks for your answers. But the card with the watchnumber on it, warranty card and the box, are all those things normally delivered with a replica watch with a matching number on the watch itself?

I understand that you could buy one gen watch with all the stuff that comes with it, box, cards etc. Then buy a rep one and sell the rep one and all the stuff that came with the gen.

What is the easiest and fastest way for me to determine if the watch is a gen? Bring the watch to a Omega retailer?

Thanks again for all your help!

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
velgro people can give you the best guesses they can. Especially with those pics. But short of an actual verification it's all conjecture. It went for way to much anyhow.

thicklove

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/8/09
It looks Gen to me. The "Ref:" number should match with the number etched into the back of one of the lugs. If you look closely, you will see a serial number behind one of the lugs. The pearl looks good as well, which is usually the biggest give away. After you get the watch, take it into an authorized dealer for sure confirmation.

robbnj

11/6/09
$3,600 to an eBayer with 44 ffedbacks over the course of 2 years?
Ballsy...

Have a jeweler look at it pronto to get a correct answer...

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Yeah buying a gen from eBay form a low feedback and unknown seller to boot is never a good idea, but you seem to have lucked out, hope he doesn't do a bait and switch on you to bring out a worst case scenario... best way to know is to go to a local AD and verify authenticity.

velgro77

Looking Around
31/3/10
Thanks for all your responses. Im actually buying the watch from the guy who already bought it from ebay. So I will have to possibility to take a look at the watch IRL so to speak. Thats why I asked for any good ways on how to determine if the watch is a gen or rep. Any good give-aways or is the only way to be sure to contact an omega retailer?

Also, the watch seems to have the anti-counterfeit logo on the back. Is that something common on reps as well?

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Thanks for all your responses. Im actually buying the watch from the guy who already bought it from ebay. So I will have to possibility to take a look at the watch IRL so to speak. Thats why I asked for any good ways on how to determine if the watch is a gen or rep. Any good give-aways or is the only way to be sure to contact an omega retailer?

http://www.omegawatches.com/stores/map

velgro77

Looking Around
31/3/10
Yeah there is a retailer not to far away, thanks for the link.

One more thing I read about just now, do all Omega PO watchnumbers start with the digit 8 and totally 8 digits? Looking at the pictures of the warrantycard this one starts with the digit 7.

rane

Horology Curious
3/3/10
Looks gen to me as well but I'd have it checked out.