• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Need help from Omega Gods on this UPO before I buy.

HLB96

Known Member
26/5/07
I have been offered this UPO by another member on another forum for $150. It has swiss movement. I need to know of any flaws on this one. Is it truly ultimate? I know that on the caseback planet is missing the t. I can live with that if the pearl, bezel and face look okay. I am more concerned with a correct front rather than a correct back. I am a noob so I come to the Omega gods for help.any suggestions? This would be my 4th rep in a week.
Thanks for the help to all that respond.

sweet

14/4/07
Misaligned bezel and crooked logo seems to be the only problem on this one (and most of the UPO). Pearl looks good!

If I were you I'd ask for better picture of the face in white lighting like the last picture. I don't understand why all other lightings are orange? :p Also ask to remove the caseback and prove its UPO not lite.

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
Dont need to remove the caseback. Ask to see the date with a 1 showing.

Serif = Lite

No Serif = ETA

sweet

14/4/07
If you can live with Plane Ocean knowing there's a Planet Ocean available... this is a hell of a deal. Buy it! Personally I would buy it :)

sweet

14/4/07
cableguy said:
^ that would bug the crap out of me....

Plane Ocean lol

Plane Ocean sounds so good. Like an airplane in ocean.... mmm. Or plain ocean! :lol:

Besides, 50% of people you meet won't know it's supposed to be Planet Ocean if you never tell them. Just tell'em it's Plane Ocean.

Am I just weird?

HLB96

Known Member
26/5/07
Here's the face with date set at 1. Whats the verdict-Swiss or not?

treeman

9/4/07
andreww said:
Dont need to remove the caseback. Ask to see the date with a 1 showing.

Serif = Lite

No Serif = ETA

Note to self...check my UPO for this. ;)

cdzsmith

Renowned Member
22/4/07
CA
I'm checking my UPO lite now, and it has the serif, exactly as in the seller's photos...

HLB96

Known Member
26/5/07
So, I am thinking I will pass. I want an orange bezel UPO sooooo bad. All of these QC issues are bugging me. This is my #1 want and I am still trying to find one. I guess I will find one eventually.
Thanks everyone for your responses.

cdzsmith

Renowned Member
22/4/07
CA
I'd hate to be providing bad info, so you can still ask the seller to take a photo of the movement, or wait for one of the experts, WIS', whatever, to provide their input.

But, Andrew sells his UPO lites for $118 (plus shipping); others may have them cheaper, so if this is indeed a pre-owned UPO lite, $150 seems kind of steep. But, if it is indeed the Swiss version, $150 is a decent deal as the dealers charge $200 - $250.

There's nothing wrong with the $120 UPO lite...

HLB96

Known Member
26/5/07
The seller insists it is swiss. Here are the pics he sent of the caseback off. I have no idea what to look for. I told him that I will pass. This was his response when I told him it was asian:
if this is asian, then i am Japanese..... :) look under the balance wheel and you will see the ETA hallmark and the 2824-2 stamps
So is this swiss or not?

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
Definitely swiss.

As for the date font, it also looks swiss. See how pronounced the serif is on the asian version below.

Natron

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
11/10/06
this is tough. I put my date on 16 like andrew and there is no huge serif. Yet the movement is confirmed Asian by Vac. I bought it as Swiss and found out later it was not.

Natron

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
What you have Nat is not the UPO Lite. You have an UPO with "asain eta". Basically your movement is identical to the eta, but lacks eta markings under the balance wheel. It has the same datewheel as the swiss, and of course is interchangeable with the gen ETA movement. The UPO Lite uses a cheap chinese movement, and has a different datewheel.

Cheers

sweet

14/4/07
The movement without the caseback looks swiss enough. I don't know maybe it's Chwiss with a Plane Ocean? :)

Natron

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
11/10/06
Andrew thanks for the clarification. I thought what I had was the UPO LIte. My watchsmith did say my movement could take his parts when needed.

Nate

AlbertoM

Looking Around
17/6/07
But this IS the rare flying PO. Which is why it is called the Plane Ocean. You are all missing the point.....<sigh>