• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

MY UPO GROUP BUY Dial Mistake I made & Question: On Gaskets

bxa67

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/08
Well gents I got some bad news.
The other day I thought to add a drop of Lube on the crown thread, it turns out I put way too much oil on the thread that it spilled(more like moved) to the dial side!!! So then my dial was all oily :( So I attempted my new found skill of taking the watch appart, which was fine, but then when I tried to take all the Oil off using some Rubbing Alcohal it took the numbers off!!!! So my advice Please DO NOT DO WHAT I DID!!! I thought this might do this, but was not sure. I needed something strong to clean the oil.
Looks like I might (when I have money) buy a Gen Dial.

OK now the Gasket Question: When I took apart my UPO I noticed that MY crown & my HE value Do not have Gaskets. I am assuming that they are supposed to have them right?
Best Rgsd Bill ([email protected])

houndoggie

16/11/08
Just buy another UPO, they are only 5 bucks more now ($180+ shipping). Then you'll have a bunch of spare parts for future lube "projects"! :D

guru

Advisor
Advisor
Certified
30/9/06
don't fiddle around with stuff you do not know about. To do this you need oilers.
Lesson learned :lol: :lol: :lol: The stuff you wipe your ass off would have done a nice job getting the oil away.

Sorry for beeing so nasty........ :lol: :lol:

bxa67

11/8/08
Yeah my mistake, so what about the Gaskets, should the crown & he vaule have gaskets right?
Probably save for a Gen Dial

bxa67

11/8/08
Yeah I knew what I was doing with the oil, I just put way too much (that was the part I did not know about) oh well better to learn on a rep than on a gen.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Actually you should use silicone grease on rubber seals and not oil at all. If you have the tools and patience get a new gen dial and hands.

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
yes the crown and he should have gaskets, I have had to add them to the last two po's I have bought :roll:

also if the paint comes off with alcohol it means some troglodyte with watercolors painted the dials :roll:

bxa67

11/8/08
Actually I was not using oil on the gaskets, I have silicon grease, I was attempting (did not do it right) to put some 3 & 1 oil on the treads of the crown.

Re: Gaskets, I thought so, now where do I buy said gaskets? Orei Frie only sells the real parts.

Best Rgds Bill.