• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My Omega blag

thelawnmowerman

Renowned Member
2/4/06
I went shopping with the wife today, I knew there was an Omega dealer nearby so I was quite selective in what I wore, (clothes and watch) dressed smartly with my Ingenieur on my wrist.
Now I know its been said before but its really amazing how you get treated when you look the part ,
I wanted to try on thePlanet Ocean 45.5 Black Bezel, white numbers as Ive ordered on from Josh.
The guy in the shop couldnt have been more helpful, that was until I took my Ingenieur off , I thought
his tongue was gonna fall out he was all over it like a rash, he said that he liked the brand but his boss wasnt interested in stocking them, theres no way on this earth he knew it was a rep, then his boss came over and walked past , stopping when he saw my Iwc , he said may I Sir, then picked it up and gave it a good looking at
he was well impressed and said so , from that moment on I swear I could have tried anything in the shop on, no problem.
On to the Omega,
I told him I already had the 'smaller orange bezel' and wanted to see about the 'larger black one' for size,
In person the larger one has a lot more presence than the smaller one, I was very pleased with the look and cant wait to get mine.
I asked him about the rubber strap as an extra, now I thought these were going to be expensive and they may well turn out to be exactly that, but he didnt seem to think so , he couldnt give me a price till monday
as it was the weekend but he seemed to think they were only about £60.
I also looked at the new Bond versions , the SMP and the Planet Oceans with the 007 second hand, limited editions (about 5000 or so) the 007 hand looks well cool .
He asked me was I interested and I said I was, his manager chipped in to say that If I bought today he would include the rubber strap, I said it wasnt going to happen today as I was with my wife and I didnt want her knowing how much my watches were!.
I got several catalogues from him as well Cartier, Raymond Wiel, and Breitling (very thick).
I felt like a real fraud -- NOT

Getting back to the Omega Planet Ocean , I know Pugwash has stated this before , but there really is quite a big difference in the A/R on this watch compared to the rep, I'm going to enquire about getting this done when I know what shade to go for.

on a slightly different note does anyone if the Gen 42mm PO bracelet is the same size as the rep?,
Cos I'm getting a rubber one for my 42mm if it is, and if he's close on his price of £60

jb

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
7/9/06
I have had simular experiances at ADs in my area. The latest was a Rolex/Omega dealer, but it has also happened at a Tap dealer. The salesman that was helping my wife with jewelry noticed my Navi (gen leather) almost instantly. After that, I was treated like gold. I tried on a Seamaster GMT and a PO chrono, both of which I fell in love with.

My local IWC dealer will be next. :D

thelawnmowerman

Renowned Member
2/4/06
I also forgot to mention that I thought the sweep wasnt as smooth on the Gen,
I may be wrong about this as I didnt have my Omega PO with me , but I would swear the rep
looks smoother.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
thelawnmowerman said:
I also forgot to mention that I thought the sweep wasnt as smooth on the Gen,
I may be wrong about this as I didnt have my Omega PO with me , but I would swear the rep
looks smoother.

Yep, your eyes didn't deceive you. The new Co-Axial movement has 6 ticks per second... compared to our standard ETA (7 ticks per second). Omega lowered the beat to get better power reserve.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
By-Tor said:
Yep, your eyes didn't deceive you. The new Co-Axial movement has 6 ticks per second... compared to our standard ETA (7 ticks per second). Omega lowered the beat to get better power reserve.
Close ...

Asian 21j: 6 ticks per sec.
Co-Axial: 7 ticks per sec.
2836: 8 ticks per sec.

By-Tor, I know you know this, so I'll just write this off as a slip of the fingers. :D

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
thelawnmowerman said:
Pugs , you really gotta get out more, mate. :D
Hey, I get out lots, which is why I've not finished my IWC Guide or any of the other stuff I'm behind on. I can't help having an odd memory that remembers too much ... or the ability to multiply numbers by 3600. :D