• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My new UPO running 25 minutes a day fast

tokeyx

27/3/11
Title basically says it all. Took delivery of my UPO yesterday, have noticed it's running about 2 minutes an hour fast. Doesn't matter if I'm wearing it or it's in the watch box.

Is this something I should send back to the dealer for a new watch since it's basically brand new, or is it a really easy fix for a watchsmith if I can find one who works on reps? I want this watch to become my daily beater, so I have no problem bringing it in for oiling and regulation (is that needed with this watch like it is with the A7750's?), but if the regulation is going to cost me more than the shipping I'd rather just send it back. I bought the Asian Clone Movement.

I imagine I have to let Agnus know very shortly if I want to exchange it, so replies are appreciated! TIA.

tokeyx

27/3/11
I don't even know where to begin. Total noob. I removed a few links, but I've never taken a caseback off. Is it straightforward to regulate?

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
One thing that my happen (but that wouldn't be enough to explain 2minutes an hour) is that when the spring tension is low (power reserve going to zero, not "charged enough") a mechanical watch will run fast. So try to make sure first that it's fully wound.

Regulating it yourself is not very difficult, but won't be that precise unless you're very meticulous. Best bet would be to go to a watch smith and have the thing regulated... while looking and asking for some explanations. This way, you'll be able to do it yourself with more confidence another time.

tokeyx

27/3/11
So it's not something worth sending it back over, even though it's brand new?

frankt8242

I'm Pretty Popular
12/5/06
It's highly unlikely that it'll get much better...>>>>

By adjusting it....Balance adjusting ranges are measured in seconds per day, NOT minutes per hour....

I would suspect that the hairspring is fouled or stuck together...
I would EMPHATICALLY advise that you DON'T try to unscramble it yourself!!!!
You have 2 chances at success....SLIM, and None at ALL!!
Send it back!!!

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10
i don't know about slim to none, i did one that was that far off. maybe 20min a day. it about 2 min a week now. but if your ok with shipping it back and waiting it's sort of more reliable. be sure to ask about the dealers policies concerning lost parcels. i didn't mind fiddling with it due to cost (cheap 21j). worst case for me was 30bucks for a new, better 21j. good luck.

Pakz

Renowned Member
15/4/11
So it's not something worth sending it back over, even though it's brand new?

sorry, then, I'll change what I've said: If it's brand new, the best thing to do is to contact your dealer and sort the things out with him. Sending back the watch might be the best option. Or having it serviced, paid by the dealer. Or something else.

I'm never very confident sending and re-sending watches across the globe. But that's just me. Find with your dealer the solution that works best for both of you.

tokeyx

27/3/11
If I send it to you for routine service G, would you be able to fix that? I know you are 6-8 week delay right now, but I think it would take just as long to send it back to China, and when I get it back from you I know it'll be in good working order.

I'd like this watch to last, so I wanted to have it oiled and serviced before wearing it anyways.

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
There's almost no way in hell that 2min/hr is going to be fixed by a microadjust. It either nees to be serviced, a new movement, or be replaced.

tokeyx

27/3/11
I emailed Agnus about it, I'll let everyone know the reply. I offered to either send it back for replacement, or have him give me a credit on my next order equal to the cost of the service. Hopefully a service fixes it, I love this watch :)

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
This is always what rep collector fear when we buy watches.. :(

It's just part of the game. It's inconvenient, but all of the dealers here will stand by their product and exchange/credit/refund/etc if needed, so it's not really a worry.

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
It's just part of the game. It's inconvenient, but all of the dealers here will stand by their product and exchange/credit/refund/etc if needed, so it's not really a worry.

The process is terrible..

2-3months ship back to China and fear of custom sizing it, then service it and ship back...

It its $150 below, I will just forget it and get new one with discount on next one.

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
That's true, but on the bright side at least we're spared from working with scam sites that are almost guaranteed to have poor quality. I'd rather spend 2-3 months waiting and working with a dealer than just give up on a watch, even if it is a cheap one. At the very least I can get to know a dealer and how they handle themselves in that situation for future reference :thumbsup:

tokeyx

27/3/11
Heard back from Nikki at Puretime. They have what I would more or less consider a RMA form that I can fill out and then send the watch back. I'm unsure if it'll be repaired or replaced, but I'm sure they will clarify if I ask.

I'll email G and see if he will just do a complete service on the watch. I'd rather spend the money for him to tear it apart then deal with sending it to China. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like they will offer me any discounts on future product for having to do this, but it's a known risk. I just wish the QC at puretime included pictures of the watch on the timing machine, like it does with Lay and King (who I have ordered with before). Then they would have realized the timing was off and not sent me this watch.

Here's a copy of the email, both polite and professional:

We have well noted that you have encountered some trouble with your watch & we would SINCERELY like to apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused to you.

We very much wish if you could please kindly have this checked with your local watch repair shop to see if some small adjustments required and can be made perfect to avoid all hassles sending back, especially customs check risks these days.

And if you wish to have it sent back, kindly ship back the watch with good tough packing with all details of defects found, by some low cost shipping company or Registered Air Mail post. Upon receipt of the same at our end let us have studied the same and whatever needful will be taken care of at our end.

Attached please find the watch repair form, please fill in the form and print it out, send the form back with the return watch. Please remember to write the problems as clearly as possible and include with the package so we can take care of the problems accordingly. Without this printed form our maker will not accept the packages for a repair.

Let us have the return shipment traceable tracking number to us by return mail to help us collect at our end promptly and we assure you that every care will be taken from our sides to ensure you get best quality watches in future."

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10
if you like the watch; have it serviced. it's not a spaceship. a tec can figure it out. if the dealer won't commit to a specific remedy i would go for a known action (repair). i buy cheap movements, so i would just replace it. or dump it for what i could get for it, if i did not like the watch.

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Seems like a standardized complaint/repair form. Investing in a service would be the way that I would go personally. You'd save yourself the trouble of shipping to/from China and end up with a piece that is serviced and regulated and better than what you would have gotten through the exchange process. It's more out of pocket but if you truly love the watch then it's worth it.

tokeyx

27/3/11
Just an update. Angus reached out to me as well, and said he'd be happy to repair it if I send it back. I'm just going to go that route. He also offered me free shipping on my next order (going to bundle it with the return) and free shipping on the order after that for the hassle. So I'm only going to be out my shipping cost to China, and in return my next 2 orders will be shipped to me free and the watch will be repaired/replaced. I'm pretty happy with that, I feel like he offered basically everything he could to make the situation right.

As a personal lesson though, I'll never let another watch ship to me without seeing a QC picture/video of it on a timing machine first.