• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My modded Moony (frozen 6, painted rehaut, gen plexi and caseback)

Rubi

Known Member
21/10/10
Hey guys,

I didn't want to keep my Speedy from you guys, since RWI was the forum to let me learn of the great replica-world :)

My rep-career started of with a Seagull ST19-Speedy, which had a flat sapphire-crystal and thus didn't look that gen-like, as I wanted it to. I tried on a Gen Speedy and it just looked better.

Here's what it all started at:

dscf804678BXN.jpg

I made my first watchmaking experiments on the watch, which screwed up the hands and the dial a bit - but only practice makes you better, right? ;)

At least my modding-tries worked out on freezing the 6 with this tut: http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/107483-toads-guide-sea-gull-st19-keyless-works-and-freezing-6-o-clock-subdial/page__pid__749339__st__0&#entry749339

I then purchased a defective Speedmaster from a fellow member at RWG which gave me the hands, dial and best of all - it was already modded with a gen caseback!

Next on my agenda was painting the rahut:

Before:

dscf8136IRMCE.jpg

After:

dscf8143XIOSO.jpg

I used "Revell Email Color" from an AC-Car-shop in matte black: http://www.revell.de/index.php?id=891&L=1 and just painted the inner part of the rehaut with a size 1 artist-brush.

I ordered the gen glass from ebay (was around 40€), Omega-part number is 063PW5139.

To make it fit on my speedy rep, I had to use some abrasive paper (180 and 240 strength) to the side of the plexi and then I glued it in with G-S Hypo Cement.

Here's the final product (note the small engraved Omega sign on the plexi :) )

dscf8157PUZZ6.jpg

dscf8158GF6WP.jpg

dscf81554ZOSP.jpg

Next thing, I'm thinking about, is buying a gen 1171 bracelet to give the watch more of a vintage-look - I'll keep my eyes open on eBay.

Of course the subdial-spacing is still too big and the rehaut looks way too big to an expert. But afterall now I like my Speedy way more and it has a personal touch to it :)

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
Looks good mate

This guy knows something about making Speedmaster reps look good as well! He did basically the same thing a while back on RWG (blue).

For my part, I have made it as far as putting in the plexi. I couldn't get the dang movement out of the case though. What's the secret to get it past the chrono pushers?

Thanks and you have a great looking watch!

Rubi

Known Member
21/10/10
Andy was the one, that got me the defective Speedy with the gen caseback :) His thread and yours (http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/...has-74097?t=74097&highlight=speedmaster+domed) were my inspiration. Special thanks to andy for the assistance and ideas.

The movement shouldn't be fixed at the chrono pushers, it's just slipped in there. I just annuled the movement with a small screwdriver at the opposite side of the pushers. Had to use a tiny bit of force, so don't worry :)

woof*

Renowned Member
25/12/10
"Next thing, I'm thinking about, is buying a gen 1171 bracelet to give the watch more of a vintage-look - I'll keep my eyes open on eBay."

Really a nice job on your speedy!

1171's on the bay tend to go for 200-300$
You can buy them NOS at Ofrei.com for around 180$ and the 633 endlinks for 36$
I bought one on ebay and got really lucky for 67$ used minus the endlinks.
The second one I bought NOS at Ofrei. The bracelet improves the speedy rep by 200%!
Please excuse my picture skills...the watch looks a million times better in real life.

3d0cfff3.jpg

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
The movement shouldn't be fixed at the chrono pushers, it's just slipped in there. I just annuled the movement with a small screwdriver at the opposite side of the pushers. Had to use a tiny bit of force, so don't worry :)

I'll try it again, and try to be a little more firm this time! If I screw it up, I can always buy another....

It's nice to know a gen caseback will fit the ST19 rep case. You didn't have any problems, correct?

Rubi

Known Member
21/10/10
I'll try it again, and try to be a little more firm this time! If I screw it up, I can always buy another....

It's nice to know a gen caseback will fit the ST19 rep case. You didn't have any problems, correct?

Nope, it's fitting perfect - like it was made for a rep case ;)

Thanks for the hint, woof! I will have a look at ofrei. Do they ship to Germany and can I order as a private person? Looks great on your speedy (which looks great also :) )

KenD

Known Member
30/4/10
United States
Great information! I'm looking to put a gen caseback on my Speedy. Good to know that it fits before I spend all the money.

--Ken

Ephry73

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/11
I'm awaiting a speedy from Germany and just caught this thread from you Rubi. Do you still have the spare case? I would love to get the spare case and old dial if you still have them.

E