• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My last build: a Genstain Rolex Day Date ref.1803

marsupilami

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/3/06
all genuine parts except the full yellowgold bracelet and case.
man its heavy...

Fabian.

Known Member
9/4/19
You have to keep in mind that Chrono24 prices don't reflect the reality because those are unnegotiated prices.
Your watch is a beautiful build but still a rep. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 4k€ for this watch. Maybe you are lucky and find someone who pays 5k€. But I don't think that there will be many people who pay more than that.

vintagepassioneurope

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
23/12/19
Europe
You have to keep in mind that Chrono24 prices don't reflect the reality because those are unnegotiated prices.
Your watch is a beautiful build but still a rep. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 4k€ for this watch. Maybe you are lucky and find someone who pays 5k€. But I don't think that there will be many people who pay more than that.
Yeah
I totally know
we're just talking
It's a forum
This is a funny game, and sometimes you lose money
This is probably my case
But I had fun building it
and it is truly a beautiful watch
I will enjoy it for a long time :)

catana1981

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
14/10/12
UK
I had been collecting all the parts during the years and now here it is!
my Genstein Rolex Day Date ref 1803 YG

Specifics:
Rep Viet (or South Korea) 1:1 real yellow gold mid case + caseback all engraved
(Friendlyperson on Bay)
Gen YG fluted bezel
Gen Rolex plexiglass glass 25-114 with cyclop
Gen Rolex Cal 1556 Day Date with gen date disc (open 6 and 9) and gen day disc
Gen Rolex YG hands
Gen Rolex DayDate pie pan dial, silver color with a nice patina, YG indexes and crown
Gen Rolex 602 YG crown
Generic green leather band with plated rep Rolex buckle
Gen Rolex vintage box

The only rep parts are the midcase and the caseback
They are really 1:1 and all the other gen parts fit perfectly!

I spent a lot of time (a lot of money, and some headaches) to collect everything but It’s a real beauty and It’s now a pleasure to wear it
Here are some pics, hope you would enjoy:

Such an amazing built.
That green strap really suits it.
Wear it in good health.

vintagepassioneurope

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
23/12/19
Europe
Many of you are writing to me in PM to ask for advice on how to make a build like this
Basing on my experience, I totally advise you against doing this :)

There are mainly two big obstacles in making an 1803 YG build:
The first (and most important) is that replica cases in real gold (of any Rolex reference) exist but they are quite rare (as far as I know there are only a couple of artisans in Italy and Vietnam, plus Phong and Minh Quy) and they are very expensive!!
The second is that the Day Date case has a particular shape between the lugs, so DY cases cannot be used (if you're looking for a 1:1 build).

All this, added to my passion (and illness) for vintage watches pushed me towards this Genstain replica.
Since everything is genuine Rolex except the mid case and the case back, I am very satisfied with the result, but obviously the bill was very very high!
I know: could have used an ETA movement instead of the original Rolex, and I would have saved a lot of money.
But the 1556 movement was my starting point. Being very rare, when I had the chance to buy it I didn't let it slip away, I then built the entire watch from that.

Three suggestions for those who want a Rep Day Date:
1. buy a stock watch (yes, there are excellent 118238 also with ETA Suisse movement)
I personally like the combo yellow gold and green dial. Eventually swap the dial. with a gen one!
2. buy a Raffle case (in the store there are specific cases for the Day Date) and make a build consistent with your budget (eta or clone movement, gen or Raffle dial). Since Raffle bracelets are really ugly I recommend the leather strap.
3. I am now planning a new build with: Gen WG 16014 case, gen dial 18039 WG and ETA suisse 2824-2. I'm replacing the date date WG case with a date just SS-WG case. We will see the result.

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
Amazing build. This is a real beauty and a Franken... SuperFranken... or GENstein 1803 is so rare to see.
To be honest, to build an accurate 11823x Day-Date, is no big issue at all.
To build such one, as you did - this is a real great job.... especially with the GEN movement and THIS stunning case.

I like this look and your 1803 is a real outstanding piece!!
Love it.

vintagepassioneurope

Renowned Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
23/12/19
Europe
Amazing build. This is a real beauty and a Franken... SuperFranken... or GENstein 1803 is so rare to see.
To be honest, to build an accurate 11823x Day-Date, is no big issue at all.
To build such one, as you did - this is a real great job.... especially with the GEN movement and THIS stunning case.

I like this look and your 1803 is a real outstanding piece!!
Love it.
Thank you very much!
Your (all) comments and appreciation reward me for all the efforts

• Love
Reactions: Nur-Uhr